6800 Ultra game troubles

I got a 6800 Ultra with a new machine this week. Came with driver version
61.34.
The first game I tried with it, Deus Ex: Invisible War, crashes to desktop
when
trying to start an early level (Seattle). Can't get past this by any
workarounds
I've tried. Since no one else is reporting this with the current patch of
DX:IW,
I have to believe it's the early driver.

I also tried UT2003, and that works fine. I may try Far Cry next.

Seems like a really good and fast card (runs benchmarks ok), so hopefully a
working driver will be available soon.

Alan

"Alan Wright" <alan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I got a 6800 Ultra with a new machine this week. Came with driver version
> 61.34.
> The first game I tried with it, Deus Ex: Invisible War, crashes to desktop
> when
> trying to start an early level (Seattle). Can't get past this by any
> workarounds
> I've tried. Since no one else is reporting this with the current patch of
> DX:IW,
> I have to believe it's the early driver.
>
> I also tried UT2003, and that works fine. I may try Far Cry next.
>
> Seems like a really good and fast card (runs benchmarks ok), so hopefully
> working driver will be available soon.
>
> Alan

After consulting some DX:IW specific forums, I found that this problem is
actually caused by the game, and not the driver. It is a corruption that can
be worked around by going back to a sufficiently old save point.

I also noticed that most people complain about the performance of this
game and have to use lower resolutions and settings. With my new card
the game flies on highest settings at 1280x1024.

Alan

"Alan Wright" <alan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I got a 6800 Ultra with a new machine this week. Came with driver version
> 61.34.
> The first game I tried with it, Deus Ex: Invisible War, crashes to desktop
> when
> trying to start an early level (Seattle). Can't get past this by any
> workarounds
> I've tried. Since no one else is reporting this with the current patch of
> DX:IW,
> I have to believe it's the early driver.
>
> I also tried UT2003, and that works fine. I may try Far Cry next.
>
> Seems like a really good and fast card (runs benchmarks ok), so hopefully
> working driver will be available soon.
>
> Alan

Maybe one of the drivers at http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10
will help you out.

> After consulting some DX:IW specific forums, I found that this problem is
> actually caused by the game, and not the driver. It is a corruption that
can
> be worked around by going back to a sufficiently old save point.
>
> I also noticed that most people complain about the performance of this
> game and have to use lower resolutions and settings. With my new card
> the game flies on highest settings at 1280x1024.
>
> Alan

Alan, its incredibly refreshing to see you come back and update where the
problem really was. Kudos sir!

For some reason, most NG posters never bother...

Three questions:

Where did you get your 6800U?

How much was it?

And most importantly, what is the max oc you have achieved?

Jeff B

"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message
> Three questions:
>
> Where did you get your 6800U?

It came with a system from Falcon Northwest.
I see no indication of the brand of the card.

> How much was it?

Not sure. Part of an expensive high end gaming system,
so probably pretty pricey.

> And most importantly, what is the max oc you have achieved?

Stock speeds are 400/1100. Given that no current games push
the card as yet, I likely won't be overclocking it for a long time.

Alan