BFG Ge4 4200 ti graphics issues

I am operating a BFG Ge4 4200 ti 128 graphics card on the following
environment:

Windows XP Pro SP1
DFI Ultra Infinity II MB (Nforce2 chipset)
Athlon 1700 XP at 2000 (10 X 200)
512 Mushkin Level 1 PC 3200 DDR (dual channel)
WD 7200 80G HD (8 meg buffer)
Toshiba 16X DVD
Logitech 640 speakers
Logitech Momo steering wheel
HEC 525 PS

I have been using the Nvidia reference driver from April 1 2004 (don't
remember the number) and am currently using the Nvidia reference
driver off the Microsoft site.

Problem is this. On various games and benchmarks (UT 2004,
Battlefield Vietnam, 3d Mark 2001) i get all kinds of pixellation and
black lines throughout the display. Battlefield Vietnam periodically
locks up tight as a drum (sometimes after minutes sometimes after
hours). The only way I have able to cure this (under 3dMark 2001) is
to go so software only T&L which resolves the problem at a huge
performance hit. Although my standard operation is overclocked, I
have set everything back to optimized defaults without any change.

Questions:

Is this a Direct X 9.0 issue?
Are there ways of configuring a Gef4 GPU card to resolve this without
disabling hardware T&L?
Any driver recommendations (official or beta) that are worth looking
at?
Is this card just not up to the challenge?

Thanks,
Joe

"Joe Ready" <j0eb0b@snigglet.com> wrote in message
> I am operating a BFG Ge4 4200 ti 128 graphics card on the following
> environment:
>
> Windows XP Pro SP1
> DFI Ultra Infinity II MB (Nforce2 chipset)
> Athlon 1700 XP at 2000 (10 X 200)
> 512 Mushkin Level 1 PC 3200 DDR (dual channel)
> WD 7200 80G HD (8 meg buffer)
> Toshiba 16X DVD
> Logitech 640 speakers
> Logitech Momo steering wheel
> HEC 525 PS
>
> I have been using the Nvidia reference driver from April 1 2004 (don't
> remember the number) and am currently using the Nvidia reference
> driver off the Microsoft site.
>
> Problem is this. On various games and benchmarks (UT 2004,
> Battlefield Vietnam, 3d Mark 2001) i get all kinds of pixellation and
> black lines throughout the display. Battlefield Vietnam periodically
> locks up tight as a drum (sometimes after minutes sometimes after
> hours). The only way I have able to cure this (under 3dMark 2001) is
> to go so software only T&L which resolves the problem at a huge
> performance hit. Although my standard operation is overclocked, I
> have set everything back to optimized defaults without any change.
>
> Questions:
>
> Is this a Direct X 9.0 issue?
> Are there ways of configuring a Gef4 GPU card to resolve this without
> disabling hardware T&L?
> Any driver recommendations (official or beta) that are worth looking
> at?
> Is this card just not up to the challenge?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

visit www.guru3d.com i belive the 4X.XX drivers work best with the geforce 4
cards
i'm using the 60.85 on a gf4 and can have no problems

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

You are using the wrong driver. The newest driver series are for the newest
FX series cards. Your older card is NOT DX9 capable and you should be using
the 45.23 driver for stability.

--
DaveW

> You are using the wrong driver. The newest driver series are for the
> newest FX series cards. Your older card is NOT DX9 capable and you
> should be using the 45.23 driver for stability.
>

> "Joe Ready" <j0eb0b@snigglet.com> wrote in message
>> I am operating a BFG Ge4 4200 ti 128 graphics card on the following
>> environment:
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP1
>> DFI Ultra Infinity II MB (Nforce2 chipset)
>> Athlon 1700 XP at 2000 (10 X 200)
>> 512 Mushkin Level 1 PC 3200 DDR (dual channel)
>> WD 7200 80G HD (8 meg buffer)
>> Toshiba 16X DVD
>> Logitech 640 speakers
>> Logitech Momo steering wheel
>> HEC 525 PS
>>
>> I have been using the Nvidia reference driver from April 1 2004
>> (don't remember the number) and am currently using the Nvidia
>> reference driver off the Microsoft site.
>>
>> Problem is this. On various games and benchmarks (UT 2004,
>> Battlefield Vietnam, 3d Mark 2001) i get all kinds of pixellation and
>> black lines throughout the display. Battlefield Vietnam periodically
>> locks up tight as a drum (sometimes after minutes sometimes after
>> hours). The only way I have able to cure this (under 3dMark 2001) is
>> to go so software only T&L which resolves the problem at a huge
>> performance hit. Although my standard operation is overclocked, I
>> have set everything back to optimized defaults without any change.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> Is this a Direct X 9.0 issue?
>> Are there ways of configuring a Gef4 GPU card to resolve this without
>> disabling hardware T&L?
>> Any driver recommendations (official or beta) that are worth looking
>> at?
>> Is this card just not up to the challenge?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe

i have no stability problems what so ever i play meddle of honor, gp4,
simpsons hit and run, bf1942, ghost recon, gta3,nfsu, dead mans hand, but to
mention a few and found that version of drivers give me "smother" game play
than the 4X.XX series, plus i like the aplet interface and options better.

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

I seem to be taking steps backward in trying to resolve this problem.
After trying a number of graphics drivers (referenced below as well as
the OEM drivers that came with the card) my game performance has gone
from annoying to unplayable. I am starting to think that the video
card is faililng but before I replace it a couple more questions.

My system, utilizes a MB with an nForce2 chipset. Are there any known
issues or incompatibilities with various iterations of the Unified
chipset drivers and nVidia Graphics drivers? During the process of
trying to remove and reinstall the nVidia Graphics drivers I
inadvertatly removed the chipset drivers instead. Not only did this
require a re-authorization of XP with Microsoft (big pain in the you
know what), but some of the unified drivers had to be reinstalled via
the control panel from backups since they would not install from
either CD or nVidia download. I may now have a mosaic of OEM chipset
drivers and the most recent version of the Unified drivers since I had
previously upgraded.

The situation with the graphics in game play is now when any game or
benchmark is called, that the screen becomes covered with pulsing
shadows and long back lite spikes. While this behavior is not noted
in internet browsing, the little blue boxes that scroll across the
screen as Windows loads are also damaged.

I guess the central question is how should I properly establish
(reinstall if necesary) the full suite of nVidia chipset and graphics
drivers so I know I have a baseline to troubleshoot from?

thanks,
Joe