Ati Vs Nvidia, Why should i choose Nvidia?

Hi all,

I looking for a new card (now i've got a Ti4280), and i'm a little lost
about which Company card i should get.

I always have an nvidia card and always works excellent to me (a lot of
Gaming and TV-Out), i never had a serious problem with this ones. (luck?
dont know) :)

The point is that i always read reviews about ATI's cards, and they are the
best and bla bla lba!
It's that's true?

Why i should choose nvidia instead of ATI's?

Don't get me wrong, i love nvidia :) It's just want to know "why"!!!

Vinicio

If I had to order one right now though, it
would be the Nvidia 6800GT. It's a lower clocked version
of the 6800Ultra with exactly the same features. If you read up on
all these new high end cards, they're almost exactly the same in
benchmarks unless you take the resolution up to 1600x1200 and
crank up AA and AF to max. That tells me that these are all so
fast that they're CPU limited and that at all the resolutions I really
play at, I'd never notice the difference between the $400 cards
(6800GT and ATI X800Pro) and the $500 top end cards. Sooo....
extrapolating from that, I'd take the 6800GT, because it will have
more features (PS3.0 and DX9.3) and I'd never see any real
difference in speed at the resolutions I play at. I'm also betting
that if needed in the future, the GT will have some headroom
for overclocking with the right cooling solution(s) attached.

The new ATI cards are not much more that rebuilt 9800 cards like
the one I have at home. They've added a few new features obviously
(such as newer filtering techniques and longer shader instructions),
but mostly they're just higher clocked versions of what I use already.
The new ATI cards are damn fast, but don't really bring anything new
to the table other more raw horsepower.

As for pixel-shader 3.0. There will be 3 or 4 games out in the very
near future (a patch for FarCry to make it PS3, and the new Doom
instantly come to mind) and by Christmas, there will be a slew of
new titles with it. For that reason, it's worth having an Nvidia even
if you had to sacrifice 5fps of speed to get it.

Scotter wrote:
> If I had to order one right now though, it
> would be the Nvidia 6800GT. It's a lower clocked version
> of the 6800Ultra with exactly the same features. If you read up on
> all these new high end cards, they're almost exactly the same in
> benchmarks unless you take the resolution up to 1600x1200 and
> crank up AA and AF to max. That tells me that these are all so
> fast that they're CPU limited

Not so. FAr Cry is very definitely vid card limited. I'm using
a x800pro right now, waiting for either a 6800u or a
x800xt. You can never have enough vid card.

Jeff B

Nic

Yea 6800GT anytime - cant wait for them to deliver... still waiting :(

(Asus / MSI)

Vinicio Ascone wrote:
> I always have an nvidia card and always works excellent to me (a lot
> of Gaming and TV-Out), i never had a serious problem with this ones.
> (luck? dont know) :)
>
> The point is that i always read reviews about ATI's cards, and they
> are the best and bla bla lba!
> It's that's true?

Best to choose whatever you think you'd need. :) I had an ATI Rage Pro Turbo
integrated into an eMachines 366is before I built my current computer. I
always liked the ATI video and it served me well for all kinds of things
from games (nothing too heavy though), web graphics, digital photography,
watching WinTV, and even playing video files and DVDs, music, streaming
video/audio, you name it!

I now have an nVidia 5200FX (128-bit) and I like it. Does all the same
things and the color is just as good as the ATI's (I use an LCD monitor as
well). A friend got me the computer stuff so I pretty much hadn't picked out
nVidia on purpose. But I'm happy with it nonetheless. I think either nVidia
or ATI are both good. I've heard a lot of gamers go for nVidia though for
some reason. I'm not "into" the game scene, just read stuff here and there.

Keep reading reviews and hopefully also some may give some insight in this
thread. Reaserch first then choose whichever you feel is best for what you
need to use the computer for.

Hi dude,

I have a Nvidia too, and it works really good,
but i have read that there are problems with the coolers.
(i have a problem with my cooler also)
but i shouldn't choose ATI, because you can be dissapointed, you know!!!

greetz, M@dden

"Vinicio Ascone" <vinicioa@technolabcorp.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I looking for a new card (now i've got a Ti4280), and i'm a little lost
> about which Company card i should get.
>
> I always have an nvidia card and always works excellent to me (a lot of
> Gaming and TV-Out), i never had a serious problem with this ones. (luck?
> dont know) :)
>
> The point is that i always read reviews about ATI's cards, and they are
the
> best and bla bla lba!
> It's that's true?
>
> Why i should choose nvidia instead of ATI's?
>
> Don't get me wrong, i love nvidia :) It's just want to know "why"!!!
>

> Vinicio

My personal preference is nVidia due to driver support and more
compatibility.
I had an ATi card for a while recently and although it was nice and fast, I
sent it back for a refund because I was sick of glitch after glitch with
the drivers, and abysmal tech support.

I'm now waiting on a 6800GT to be in stock.

"Vinicio Ascone" <vinicioa@technolabcorp.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I looking for a new card (now i've got a Ti4280), and i'm a little lost
> about which Company card i should get.
>
> I always have an nvidia card and always works excellent to me (a lot of
> Gaming and TV-Out), i never had a serious problem with this ones. (luck?
> dont know) :)
>
> The point is that i always read reviews about ATI's cards, and they are
the
> best and bla bla lba!
> It's that's true?
>
> Why i should choose nvidia instead of ATI's?
>
> Don't get me wrong, i love nvidia :) It's just want to know "why"!!!
>

> Vinicio

I've had both ATI and Nvidia for years now on 2 machines, a 4200 in the
secondary machine and a 9600AIW (for the AIW part) on my main machine. I
can't think of any major problems I've had with either brand, or for that
matter any video card I've ever had (20+ years)