Nero 6 Ultra

I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and it
came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.

I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either of
the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6 CDs so
far.

Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?
--
Allen Bredt

Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
is installed.

Allen Bredt wrote:
> I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and it
> came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
>
> I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either of
> the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6 CDs so
> far.
>
> Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

For what it's worth to you, I have never been pleased with Nero. Heck, I've
never been able to get it to work at all on several (three, at least)
computers with different brands of DVD/CD Reader/Writers.

Ultimately went back to Roxio. The only thing I resent about Roxio with
their latest "Drag-to-CD" is that they are trying to make a Windows/PC into
a Mac by not ejecting the disk when the button on the drive is pressed
(hardware); the "Eject" button on "Drag-to-Disc" has to be pressed
(software, like a Mac).

Like I said, FWIW. Other persons swear by Nero. I could only swear at it!

Turner

I did not remove Roxio. I assumed they are different, independent programs.
No??

I didn't use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the files. I did it within
Nero.

--
C and A Bredt
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
> is installed.
>

> Allen Bredt wrote:
> > I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and
it
> > came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
> >
> > I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> > I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
of
> > the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6
CDs so
> > far.
> >
> > Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

Ed Neth is repeating or pointing to an instruction which came with my last
purchase of Nero. i.e. Remove all traces of Easy CD prior to loading -
especially if you are trying to use Nero's InCd to create data CD's/DVD's.
They interfere with each other.

Otherwise, go to the manufacturer's (drive) internet site and see if there
are any disc constraints (manufacturer restrictions). I never had the
problem with cd's on my new 710x but it is VERY fussy regarding DVD discs -
especially the -R/RW versions (+R/RW doesn't seem so fussy).

Good luck,

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I did not remove Roxio. I assumed they are different, independent programs.
> No??
>
> I didn't use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the files. I did it within
> Nero.
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
>> is installed.
>>

>> Allen Bredt wrote:
>> > I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and
> it
>> > came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
>> >
>> > I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
>> > I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on
>> > either
> of
>> > the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6
> CDs so
>> > far.
>> >
>> > Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

Yes - I couldn't get it to eject the CD. I never got to a screen that said
Burning was Successfully completed.

Do you use Roxio to burn movie DVD's?
My other option is to get Roxio 7
--
C and A Bredt
"Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote in message
> For what it's worth to you, I have never been pleased with Nero. Heck,
I've
> never been able to get it to work at all on several (three, at least)
> computers with different brands of DVD/CD Reader/Writers.
>
> Ultimately went back to Roxio. The only thing I resent about Roxio with
> their latest "Drag-to-CD" is that they are trying to make a Windows/PC
into
> a Mac by not ejecting the disk when the button on the drive is pressed
> (hardware); the "Eject" button on "Drag-to-Disc" has to be pressed
> (software, like a Mac).
>
> Like I said, FWIW. Other persons swear by Nero. I could only swear at
it!

> Turner

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I just installed a LiteOn SOHW 1213S DVD writer on my G6-400 with WinXP and
I was hoping someone would comment on which software they preferred, Roxio
or Nero. It came with Nero Express 6 which I didn't install. Anyone?

"Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and it
> came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
>
> I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
> of
> the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6 CDs
> so
> far.
>
> Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?
> --
> Allen Bredt

Had another thought - have you crippled Win XP's CD writing capabilities -
they will also conflict with Nero?

"Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ed Neth is repeating or pointing to an instruction which came with my last
> purchase of Nero. i.e. Remove all traces of Easy CD prior to loading -
> especially if you are trying to use Nero's InCd to create data CD's/DVD's.
> They interfere with each other.
>
> Otherwise, go to the manufacturer's (drive) internet site and see if there
> are any disc constraints (manufacturer restrictions). I never had the
> problem with cd's on my new 710x but it is VERY fussy regarding DVD
> discs - especially the -R/RW versions (+R/RW doesn't seem so fussy).
>
> Good luck,
>
> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I did not remove Roxio. I assumed they are different, independent
>>programs.
>> No??
>>
>> I didn't use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the files. I did it within
>> Nero.
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt
>> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>> Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
>>> is installed.

>> it

>> of
>> CDs so

"Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and it
> came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
>
> I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
> of
> the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6 CDs
> so
> far.
>
> Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

Nero should be compatible with the drive. First, try Ed's suggestion.
Roxio and Nero just don't like each other. Yes, they are seperate programs,
but what they do is so deep in the system, conflicts are almost a certainty.
I would uninstall ALL CD/DVD burning software - Roxio and Nero, and then and
only then reinstall Nero. Also, you don't have to install all of the Nero
suite. All that I install are the main Nero app, and Nero Vision Express,
solely for the Nero Recode program.

Ken,

I prefer Nero over Roxio anyday. I have used Nero dating back to the early
5.0 versions, and have rarely if ever had a problem that wasn't my fault
somehow ;-) Roxio gave me headaches, especially their packet writing
utility. Then again, I still haven't found a packet writing utility that I
like. My opinion is that Nero gives you the best of both worlds: a simple
to use interface (the Wizard) if you so choose, but also a simple to use
interface that gives the user total control over burns. I also think that
Nero's burning engine is more stable, though I know many who use and love
Roxio.

My final advice is give 'em a try. Nero will let you download a 30 day
trial version with no obligation. I don't know about Roxio, but I imagine
they might do so also. See what you like. In the end, your opinion is all
that will matter.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Ken wrote:
> I just installed a LiteOn SOHW 1213S DVD writer on my G6-400 with WinXP and
> I was hoping someone would comment on which software they preferred, Roxio
> or Nero. It came with Nero Express 6 which I didn't install. Anyone?

I had used and liked version 3 of the Roxio EZCD and DirectCD software.
However, later versions not only failed to work, but caused serious and
terrible crashes. I could never bring myself to trust them again.
Ahead's Nero, on the other hand, has always worked very well. They make
regular updates and their software is extremely robust. Nero is the way
to go.

Fireclown

So far so good!!

I uninstalled Roxio, installed Nero and was able to write a CD-R.
I burned a short movie file to a DVD-R and it plays on my computer, but not
on my new Pioneer recorder/player that uses DVD-R.

I installed the Install Suite, but not: InCD 4, EasyWrite Reader, Content +
Templates.
Do I need to install those?

There are a zillion User Guides on the Nero website and I don't know which
one is which..

All I want to be able to do is make a DVD from movie clips that I took with
my camera and copy DVDs that are not copy protected.

Many thanks for your help.

"Hurricane Andrew" <hurricane_andrew@verizon_nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and
it
> > came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
> >
> > I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> > I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
> > of
> > the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6
CDs
> > so
> > far.
> >
> > Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?
>
> Nero should be compatible with the drive. First, try Ed's suggestion.
> Roxio and Nero just don't like each other. Yes, they are seperate
programs,
> but what they do is so deep in the system, conflicts are almost a
certainty.
> I would uninstall ALL CD/DVD burning software - Roxio and Nero, and then
and
> only then reinstall Nero. Also, you don't have to install all of the Nero
> suite. All that I install are the main Nero app, and Nero Vision Express,
> solely for the Nero Recode program.
>
> Ken,
>
> I prefer Nero over Roxio anyday. I have used Nero dating back to the
early
> 5.0 versions, and have rarely if ever had a problem that wasn't my fault
> somehow ;-) Roxio gave me headaches, especially their packet writing
> utility. Then again, I still haven't found a packet writing utility that
> like. My opinion is that Nero gives you the best of both worlds: a
simple
> to use interface (the Wizard) if you so choose, but also a simple to use
> interface that gives the user total control over burns. I also think that
> Nero's burning engine is more stable, though I know many who use and love
> Roxio.
>
> My final advice is give 'em a try. Nero will let you download a 30 day
> trial version with no obligation. I don't know about Roxio, but I imagine
> they might do so also. See what you like. In the end, your opinion is
all
> that will matter.
>

> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

The only reason you would need InCD would be if you wanted to format a CD
and attempt to use it as a floppy or any other removeable media. EasyWrite
Reader lets you read a CD formatted with InCD on any computer with an
optical drive as long as the EayWrite software is installed. In short, you
don't need either.

As for your issue with the DVD-R, one thing I've learned is that "standard"
DVD players can be very picky about media. Some brands they like, some they
don't.

For the best source of information (OK, maybe not THE best, but pretty darn
close) you might want to try http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/ I've found the
users there to be very helpful, and you'll likely learn more than you ever
wanted to know about CD/DVD burning.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

"C & A Bredt" <abredt@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> 5.0 versions, and have rarely if ever had a problem that wasn't my fault
>> somehow ;-) Roxio gave me headaches, especially their packet writing
>> utility. Then again, I still haven't found a packet writing utility that
>> like. My opinion is that Nero gives you the best of both worlds: a
> simple
>> to use interface (the Wizard) if you so choose, but also a simple to use
>> interface that gives the user total control over burns. I also think
>> that
>> Nero's burning engine is more stable, though I know many who use and love
>> Roxio.
>>
>> My final advice is give 'em a try. Nero will let you download a 30 day
>> trial version with no obligation. I don't know about Roxio, but I
>> imagine
>> they might do so also. See what you like. In the end, your opinion is

Promise not to laugh !!

When I tried to play the DVD on my Pioneer recorder/player, I hit PLAY and
nothing happened. Then I used NeroVision to create another one and
accidentally pressed ENTER on the remote. It worked. More good news - it
played on my old Sony player.

Thanks a million to you and others for your help.

Allen
--
C and A Bredt
> [...]
> >> somehow ;-) Roxio gave me headaches, especially their packet writing
> >> utility. Then again, I still haven't found a packet writing utility
that
> >> like. My opinion is that Nero gives you the best of both worlds: a
> > simple
> >> to use interface (the Wizard) if you so choose, but also a simple to
use
> >> interface that gives the user total control over burns. I also think
> >> that
> >> Nero's burning engine is more stable, though I know many who use and
love
> >> Roxio.
> >>
> >> My final advice is give 'em a try. Nero will let you download a 30 day
> >> trial version with no obligation. I don't know about Roxio, but I
> >> imagine
> >> they might do so also. See what you like. In the end, your opinion is

Status Report:

I removed Roxio and reinstalled Nero and it worked.
Thanks for your help,

Allen
--
C and A Bredt
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
> is installed.
>

> Allen Bredt wrote:
> > I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and
it
> > came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
> >
> > I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> > I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
of
> > the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6
CDs so
> > far.
> >
> > Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

Status Report:

I removed Roxio and reinstalled Nero and it worked.
Thanks for your help,

Allen

--
C and A Bredt
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Did you remove Roxio first - at a minimum, get rid of DirectCD if that
> is installed.
>

> Allen Bredt wrote:
> > I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. I purchased it January 2003 and
it
> > came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
> >
> > I want to burn movie DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 Ultra.
> > I started by trying to burn a data CD-R and am unable to do it on either
of
> > the 2 drives. It stops writing and freezes the system. I've trashed 6
CDs so
> > far.
> >
> > Can it be that Nero 6 is not compatible with the drives on the system?

Can you tell me how to do that?
--
C and A Bredt
> Had another thought - have you crippled Win XP's CD writing capabilities -
> they will also conflict with Nero?
>
> "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Ed Neth is repeating or pointing to an instruction which came with my
last
> > purchase of Nero. i.e. Remove all traces of Easy CD prior to loading -
> > especially if you are trying to use Nero's InCd to create data
CD's/DVD's.
> > They interfere with each other.
> >
> > Otherwise, go to the manufacturer's (drive) internet site and see if
there
> > are any disc constraints (manufacturer restrictions). I never had the
> > problem with cd's on my new 710x but it is VERY fussy regarding DVD
> > discs - especially the -R/RW versions (+R/RW doesn't seem so fussy).
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >>I did not remove Roxio. I assumed they are different, independent
> >>programs.
> >> No??
> >>
> >> I didn't use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the files. I did it
within
> >> Nero.
> >>
> >> --
> >> C and A Bredt
> >> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message

> >> it

> >> of
> >> CDs so

Right click on the CD drive in Windows Explorer. Click on Properties.
Select the Recording tab. Uncheck "Enable CD writing on this drive." Don't
worry, it won't affect Nero, just WinXP's native burning.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

You wrote:

> The only reason you would need InCD would be if you wanted to format a CD
> and attempt to use it as a floppy or any other removeable media.
EasyWrite
> Reader lets you read a CD formatted with InCD on any computer with an
> optical drive as long as the EasyWrite software is installed.

What do you mean "use it as a floppy?"

I used Nero to make a data disk to save some files and I can read it on my
old PIII running Windows 98.
How is a floppy different?

Thanks, Allen

If you make a data disk you can write it only once (i.e. not add or delete
individual files subsequently). With InCd you use the cd(r/w only) as you
would a floppy disk - you can write individual files to the disk and or
delete them. InCd on your computer makes this read/write access possible
however, you will need to provide the "UDF reader driver" to read the disks
on a computer not having the full InCd installation. (Side note: the UDF
reader driver is specified to work only on CD-RW's - not DVD-RW's which are
handled by InCd.)

Suggest you print the user manuals that came on your cd/dvd disk with the
software. If you downloaded the software then the manuals can also be
downloaded from Nero.com.

> You wrote:
>
>> The only reason you would need InCD would be if you wanted to format a CD
>> and attempt to use it as a floppy or any other removeable media.
> EasyWrite
>> Reader lets you read a CD formatted with InCD on any computer with an
>> optical drive as long as the EasyWrite software is installed.
>
> What do you mean "use it as a floppy?"
>
> I used Nero to make a data disk to save some files and I can read it on my
> old PIII running Windows 98.
> How is a floppy different?
>
> Thanks, Allen

When I click on the thin grey bar on the left side of Nero StartSmart it
opens a choice of three options - one of these is "Manuals."

I've been reading them in my spare time. <g>

Thanks again for all your replies and help.
--
C and A Bredt