sound storm APU question

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

hi I have logitech z640 speakers, and a asus a7n8x dlx, just woundering
should i be turning on the 5.1 dolby digital encoding in the sound storm
menu with these speakers (they are directly connected to the pc). They are
the 5.1 speakers from logitech. thanks in advance.

"Raj" <rajiv01@mts.net> wrote in message
> hi I have logitech z640 speakers, and a asus a7n8x dlx, just woundering
> should i be turning on the 5.1 dolby digital encoding in the sound storm
> menu with these speakers (they are directly connected to the pc). They are
> the 5.1 speakers from logitech. thanks in advance.

AFAIK you only need the DD encoding enabled if you want to output via the
SPDIF to an external DD decoder. If you are connecting your speakers to the
3.5mm jacks on the card then you won't find any difference with it on or
off, although enabling it will cause the chipset to do more work. I think
the only use of it is to take a non-DD surround audio source such as EAX and
encode it for output to a DD decoder (such as you'd have in a home cinema
setup), even although it might be used for DD sources such as DVDs too if
the source signal can't be passed directly to the SPDIF output.

Dan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yer z640s have a decoder, so yes you could use nForce's DICE, provided you
connect via the SPDIF out on yer nForce to ( obviously ) the SPDIF input on
yer z-640s. I don't know whether you'd notice a difference, but it would
take up only a single cable instead of 3.

"Raj" <rajiv01@mts.net> wrote in message
> hi I have logitech z640 speakers, and a asus a7n8x dlx, just woundering
> should i be turning on the 5.1 dolby digital encoding in the sound storm
> menu with these speakers (they are directly connected to the pc). They are
> the 5.1 speakers from logitech. thanks in advance.

geoff

Raj wrote:
> hi I have logitech z640 speakers, and a asus a7n8x dlx, just
> woundering should i be turning on the 5.1 dolby digital encoding in
> the sound storm menu with these speakers (they are directly connected
> to the pc). They are the 5.1 speakers from logitech. thanks in
> advance.

no leave it off, you should have 3 headphone jack plugs
2 for each set, front, rear, sub center(sub and center are left and right of
one of them)
just plug em in the right plugs in your mobo
you might find they mixed up the colours for rear and the sub/center
they did do on my z680 before i got optical cable

TRENDING THREADS