Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Speed up a 9500 Solo - How to?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:59:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

My few years old now Pentium III 844 Mhz 256MB with a half-full 32 Gig HDD
recently defragged, Start Menu edited 9500 Solo laptop is running slow. This
the model that Gateway described as a portable desktop. Maybe it always has
been slow but in comparison with my newer bigger PC it seems unacceptably
sluggish. How do I speed it up? Is it hard to add memory to these seemingly
hard to open cases? I'd appreciate any help and/or suggestions. Regards,
Denzil.

More about : speed 9500 solo

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:54:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Denzil Hathway wrote:

> My few years old now Pentium III 844 Mhz 256MB with a half-full 32 Gig HDD
> recently defragged, Start Menu edited 9500 Solo laptop is running slow. This
> the model that Gateway described as a portable desktop. Maybe it always has
> been slow but in comparison with my newer bigger PC it seems unacceptably
> sluggish. How do I speed it up? Is it hard to add memory to these seemingly
> hard to open cases? I'd appreciate any help and/or suggestions. Regards,
> Denzil.
>
>

Denzil,

New memory is added through a door in the bottom. However, this won't
cure the "slow-by-comparison" issue. Only a new laptop will do that.

Fireclown
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:51:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I have had one for about 2 years now with following specs:

P3 1.GHz CPU
1Gig RAM
60 Gb Primary HD
40 Gb Secondary HD

The only suggestions that I would have would be:

Add more memory (1Gb is Maximum)
Wipe and reinstall Windows (almost always helps after years of "junk"
accumulating)

But above potser is correct there is only so fast this model can be made to
go.


K. Dickson

"Fireclown" <Fireclown@spamblock.com> wrote in message
news:34nct2F4b7q9oU1@individual.net...
> Denzil Hathway wrote:
>
>> My few years old now Pentium III 844 Mhz 256MB with a half-full 32 Gig
>> HDD recently defragged, Start Menu edited 9500 Solo laptop is running
>> slow. This the model that Gateway described as a portable desktop. Maybe
>> it always has been slow but in comparison with my newer bigger PC it
>> seems unacceptably sluggish. How do I speed it up? Is it hard to add
>> memory to these seemingly hard to open cases? I'd appreciate any help
>> and/or suggestions. Regards, Denzil.
>
> Denzil,
>
> New memory is added through a door in the bottom. However, this won't cure
> the "slow-by-comparison" issue. Only a new laptop will do that.
>
> Fireclown
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I thank those that responded (below). I added memory, cleaned out the
"junk," added a USB 2.0 card and defragged again with astonishing results.
Of course it is not like my newer PC but the Web, e-mail, graphics editing
(digital camera, and especially word processing are more than acceptable.
The memory was so easy to change what with that trapdoor in the bottom. My
thanks again. Denzil.

==============================


"K.C. Dickson" <kcdickson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:s37Jd.745$Jz3.487@fe39.usenetserver.com...
>I have had one for about 2 years now with following specs:
>
> P3 1.GHz CPU
> 1Gig RAM
> 60 Gb Primary HD
> 40 Gb Secondary HD
>
> The only suggestions that I would have would be:
>
> Add more memory (1Gb is Maximum)
> Wipe and reinstall Windows (almost always helps after years of "junk"
> accumulating)
>
> But above potser is correct there is only so fast this model can be made
> to go.
>
>
> K. Dickson
>
> "Fireclown" <Fireclown@spamblock.com> wrote in message
> news:34nct2F4b7q9oU1@individual.net...
>> Denzil Hathway wrote:
>>
>>> My few years old now Pentium III 844 Mhz 256MB with a half-full 32 Gig
>>> HDD recently defragged, Start Menu edited 9500 Solo laptop is running
>>> slow. This the model that Gateway described as a portable desktop. Maybe
>>> it always has been slow but in comparison with my newer bigger PC it
>>> seems unacceptably sluggish. How do I speed it up? Is it hard to add
>>> memory to these seemingly hard to open cases? I'd appreciate any help
>>> and/or suggestions. Regards, Denzil.
>>
>> Denzil,
>>
>> New memory is added through a door in the bottom. However, this won't
>> cure the "slow-by-comparison" issue. Only a new laptop will do that.
>>
>> Fireclown
>
>
>
!