Programs in Windows 7 won't start/load/run

bzinNJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I operate on a cheaper model Dell Inspiron with Windows 7, purchased in December 2009. The last couple days I've run into a problem with programs loading.

The only executable program I can run is Internet Explorer 64-bit. All other programs do not open when I click them - either the shortcut or the icon in the folder.

This includes all Microsoft Office programs, AntiVirus programs, Firefox, etc.

When I click the program, the timing circle comes up next to the cursor for a couple seconds, then disappears. I've tried looking at task manager when I click the program. For many programs (not all), the task process shows up in "Processes" tab for a second, then disappears. The program never shows up under tasks in the "Applications" tab of Task Manager.

For some programs (mostly MS Office) I get a prompt "There was a problem sending the command to the program".

Windows/Programs I can open: Windows Explorer (for My Compter, My Documents, etc.), 64-bit IE, Wordpad.

Methods I've already tried:
1. Restart, both cold Windows restart, and restart in Safe Mode with Networking.
1. Removing all startup items using msconfig window. Even when all were removed, I can't open any programs.
3. Using Cntl-Alt-Delete to correct windows file associations. typed in "assoc .exe=exefile.
2. Restoring default registry files. Direction was taken from here:

This problem started after I tried to remove an Antivirus2010 bug. I followed the instructions found here and then tried Adaware to remove any additional spyware. My thought is I screwed something up when replacing the HOSTS file, or I removed something I shouldn't have using the AdAware anti-spyware program.

This has been extremely frustrating and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

bzinNJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I operate on a cheaper model Dell Inspiron with Windows 7, purchased in December 2009. The last couple days I've run into a problem with programs loading.

The only executable program I can run is Internet Explorer 64-bit. All other programs do not open when I click them - either the shortcut or the icon in the folder.

This includes all Microsoft Office programs, AntiVirus programs, Firefox, etc.

When I click the program, the timing circle comes up next to the cursor for a couple seconds, then disappears. I've tried looking at task manager when I click the program. For many programs (not all), the task process shows up in "Processes" tab for a second, then disappears. The program never shows up under tasks in the "Applications" tab of Task Manager.

For some programs (mostly MS Office) I get a prompt "There was a problem sending the command to the program".

Windows/Programs I can open: Windows Explorer (for My Compter, My Documents, etc.), 64-bit IE, Wordpad.

Methods I've already tried:
1. Restart, both cold Windows restart, and restart in Safe Mode with Networking.
1. Removing all startup items using msconfig window. Even when all were removed, I can't open any programs.
3. Using Cntl-Alt-Delete to correct windows file associations. typed in "assoc .exe=exefile.
2. Restoring default registry files. Direction was taken from here:

This problem started after I tried to remove an Antivirus2010 bug. I followed the instructions found here and then tried Adaware to remove any additional spyware. My thought is I screwed something up when replacing the HOSTS file, or I removed something I shouldn't have using the AdAware anti-spyware program.

That was your problem right there. You didn't have a virus. It was the attempted cleanup that screwed you.

It might be possible to straighten you out following directions here:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-2010.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-2010

bzinNJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I attempted to follow the directions without any success. I tried to replace the HOSTS file again but that didn't seem to be the problem.

Is there a registry file that may have been deleted that needs to be replace?

jojoyum

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Were you able to find a solution to your problem? I appear to be having the exact same issues. Thanks