Need advice for a upgrade

Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a video
card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to play
the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?

Ken Williams
10 answers Last reply
More about need advice upgrade

    well, if you upgrade to that ti4200 card their are bound to be bottle necks
    in system and mainly your Pentium 3 would be bottle necking that gf 4 ti4200
    card. Your Pentium 3 FSB is 133, your ram is probably sd 133? what's your
    system specs, so we can give you a even more clear view on a worth while
    upgrade, if your budget is a bit more wide I would go for a nforce 2 setup
    with a 2500+ AMD athlon xp, with 512 ddr 400, and then slap in a gf 4 ti
    4200 :) only my 2 cents.
    "Ken Williams" <Ken_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a
    video
    > card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to
    play
    > the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?
    >
    > Ken Williams

    Define "the new games out there'. If you mean Doom 3 and Half Life 2, No,
    your system is too slow and old to handle the graphics load. If you mean
    run of the mill games from the last couple of years, then yes the Ti4200
    will serve the purpose. But, remember, the 4200 is NOT DX9 capable so it
    will not play any of the newest games from this year very well.

    --
    DaveW

    "Ken Williams" <Ken_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a
    video
    > card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to
    play
    > the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?
    >
    > Ken Williams

    "Ken Williams" <Ken_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a
    video
    > card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to
    play
    > the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?
    >
    > Ken Williams

    I'm afraid that just changing videocard does not able your kids to play
    latest games out there.You dont specify any system specs so its difficult to
    say if upgrading to GF 4200 is sensible thing to do.Nvidia GF4200 is not top
    of the line videocard these days but it will give you significant
    performance boost if your Pentium 3 cpu is running around 1 Ghz but if your
    cpu is running under 500 Mhz dont bother to buy the card.So if you got high
    end Pentium 3 system it might be sensible to upgrade to GF4200 but your
    system would still be low end in games point of wiew.

    Juha Suoranta

    > Define "the new games out there'. If you mean Doom 3 and Half Life 2, No,
    > your system is too slow and old to handle the graphics load. If you mean
    > run of the mill games from the last couple of years, then yes the Ti4200
    > will serve the purpose. But, remember, the 4200 is NOT DX9 capable so it
    > will not play any of the newest games from this year very well.

    BS from DaveW yet again. The Ti4200 is not a DX9 hardware card, but it *IS*
    capable of running DX9 games as it has DX9 compliant drivers that will run
    on it. And "very well" is hardly a measurement that someone could use to
    determine if the card would do what they needed - for instance, my Ti4200
    runs FarCry at around the 45-55fps mark (which is smoother than it sounds,
    very high frame rates are not a requirement for most games, FC doesn't
    really start to feel "slow" until it drops to around 25fps) with medium
    graphics settings which I personally would not class as "not playing very
    well"

    Dan

    In article <xXYGc.36$Sc.312@news1.mts.net>, Raj says...

    >well, if you upgrade to that ti4200 card their are bound to be bottle necks
    >in system and mainly your Pentium 3 would be bottle necking that gf 4 ti4200
    >card. Your Pentium 3 FSB is 133, your ram is probably sd 133? what's your
    >system specs, so we can give you a even more clear view on a worth while
    >upgrade, if your budget is a bit more wide I would go for a nforce 2 setup
    >with a 2500+ AMD athlon xp, with 512 ddr 400, and then slap in a gf 4 ti
    >4200 :) only my 2 cents.
    >"Ken Williams" <Ken_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a
    >video
    >> card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to
    >play
    >> the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?
    >>
    >> Ken Williams

    Heres the specs I think you want:

    M.B- Aurora-gigabyte 7DX with IC (Millenia Max XP)

    AMD T-Bird Athlon 1.2 GHZ 200 FSB
    256 MB of RAM DDR
    I'm running XP

    The machine is 3 years old I think. It was given to me. The fans were replaced
    and Me was replaced with XP. 128 DDR RAM was added. I have some money to spend
    to upgrade. Thank You

    On 7 Jul 2004 10:48:19 -0700, Ken Williams <Ken_member@newsguy.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a video
    >card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want to play
    >the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?

    The Ti4200 is a FINE classic 2yr old card.... but it's not going to
    run much faster than your current P3 system... Your P3 doesn't even
    push the GF3 card....

    And for todats games? YOu'll need to pop for a whole system... and
    then the video card.

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

    In article <ucdpe059nj7uia9htlv2lg4oios5nkp6nh@4ax.com>, Darthy says...

    >On 7 Jul 2004 10:48:19 -0700, Ken Williams <Ken_member@newsguy.com>
    >wrote:

    (everything else snipped)

    >The Ti4200 is a FINE classic 2yr old card.... but it's not going to
    >run much faster than your current P3 system... Your P3 doesn't even
    >push the GF3 card....
    >
    >And for todats games? YOu'll need to pop for a whole system... and
    >then the video card.

    So what would I be looking for in a whole system to play todats games.

    Thank You

    well I would suggest add another 256 of ddr, you should try to find out to
    see what's the fastest processor your board can handle, chances are that it
    can run up to the 266fsb, therefore you maybe able to run up to a 2400+ on
    that board, and then your ti4200 would be running at decent performance.
    > In article <xXYGc.36$Sc.312@news1.mts.net>, Raj says...
    > >
    > >well, if you upgrade to that ti4200 card their are bound to be bottle
    necks
    > >in system and mainly your Pentium 3 would be bottle necking that gf 4
    ti4200
    > >card. Your Pentium 3 FSB is 133, your ram is probably sd 133? what's your
    > >system specs, so we can give you a even more clear view on a worth while
    > >upgrade, if your budget is a bit more wide I would go for a nforce 2
    setup
    > >with a 2500+ AMD athlon xp, with 512 ddr 400, and then slap in a gf 4 ti
    > >4200 :) only my 2 cents.
    > >"Ken Williams" <Ken_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello. I have pentium 3 Micron. It has a nividia Geforce ultra2 for a
    > >video
    > >> card. Someone advised me to upgrade to ti4200 128 ram. My children want
    > >play
    > >> the new games out there now. Will a ti4200 meet the demand?
    > >>
    > >> Ken Williams
    > >>

    > Heres the specs I think you want:
    >
    > M.B- Aurora-gigabyte 7DX with IC (Millenia Max XP)
    >
    > AMD T-Bird Athlon 1.2 GHZ 200 FSB
    > 256 MB of RAM DDR
    > I'm running XP
    >
    > The machine is 3 years old I think. It was given to me. The fans were
    replaced
    > and Me was replaced with XP. 128 DDR RAM was added. I have some money to
    spend
    > to upgrade. Thank You

    > But, remember, the 4200 is NOT DX9 capable so it
    > will not play any of the newest games from this year very well.

    I better send that memo to my TI4800, because it plays almost any game out
    there at the highest settings.

    I would get the Ti4600 vs the Ti4200 a lot better card. You can pick it up
    on Ebay for around $50.00. Also I would upgrade the computer. Can you or a
    friend install a new motherboard and CPU? If not check around for a cheap
    local shop or get a barebones pc on Ebay or Multiwave.com If you get a
    Athlon motherboard and 2500 cpu it would be a very nice upgrade.

    A barebone would require you or a friend to move the memory and hard drives
    to your new computer.You can also pick up a 256 or 128 meg memory upgrade
    pretty cheap on Ebay. Good luck.

    Here is a nice one for only $219 + shipping:
    AMD XP2600 ASUS A7V8X-X DDR400

    > In article <ucdpe059nj7uia9htlv2lg4oios5nkp6nh@4ax.com>, Darthy says...
    > >
    > >On 7 Jul 2004 10:48:19 -0700, Ken Williams <Ken_member@newsguy.com>
    > >wrote:
    >
    > (everything else snipped)
    >
    > >The Ti4200 is a FINE classic 2yr old card.... but it's not going to
    > >run much faster than your current P3 system... Your P3 doesn't even
    > >push the GF3 card....
    > >
    > >And for todats games? YOu'll need to pop for a whole system... and
    > >then the video card.
    > >

    > So what would I be looking for in a whole system to play todats games.
    >
    > Thank You

Nvidia Graphics