Worth upgrading FX5900XT to GeForce 6800?

I'll admit it. Now that the GeForce 6800s and GTs are becoming available
I'm getting the upgrade itch. My current graphics card is a Leadtek
5900XT at 400/700, which I've been very happy with. CPU is P4 2.4C.

The eVGA cards which newegg now has in stock include a copy of Far Cry.
Not only is it a $30 game, but it's one I'd like to have. This makes the
GeForce 6800 pretty attractive at a price of $299.

However, if I recall correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the
performance of the regular 6800 and its 700MHz memory. Now the 6800 GT
is another story! However, it's also another $100.

What do you think? Worthwhile upgrade or not?

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> schreef in bericht
> I'll admit it. Now that the GeForce 6800s and GTs are becoming available
> I'm getting the upgrade itch. My current graphics card is a Leadtek
> 5900XT at 400/700, which I've been very happy with. CPU is P4 2.4C.
>
> The eVGA cards which newegg now has in stock include a copy of Far Cry.
> Not only is it a $30 game, but it's one I'd like to have. This makes the
> GeForce 6800 pretty attractive at a price of $299.
>
> However, if I recall correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the
> performance of the regular 6800 and its 700MHz memory. Now the 6800 GT
> is another story! However, it's also another $100.
>
> What do you think? Worthwhile upgrade or not?

The problem with 6800 is it only got 128mb *no 256mb versions* ', that is
why you see these not so good numbers in Farcry when AA and AF is enabled,
the 6800 is then running out of memory. GT is a good upgrade, but not that
great considering its price.

wgd wrote:

> I'll admit it. Now that the GeForce 6800s and GTs are becoming available
> I'm getting the upgrade itch. My current graphics card is a Leadtek
> 5900XT at 400/700, which I've been very happy with. CPU is P4 2.4C.
>
> The eVGA cards which newegg now has in stock include a copy of Far Cry.
> Not only is it a $30 game, but it's one I'd like to have. This makes the
> GeForce 6800 pretty attractive at a price of $299.
>
> However, if I recall correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the
> performance of the regular 6800 and its 700MHz memory. Now the 6800 GT
> is another story! However, it's also another $100.
>
> What do you think? Worthwhile upgrade or not?

Yes, definitely. Only I'd go for the 6800U. Considering how demanding
games have become, I think settling for anything weaker than a
6800u is short-sighted.

Jeff B

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Jeff B ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Yes, definitely. Only I'd go for the 6800U. Considering how
> demanding games have become, I think settling for anything weaker than
> a 6800u is short-sighted.
>
> Jeff B

I personally think the 6800GT is a better deal, its cheaper, uses less
power, and the performance isnt too far off the ultra. The 6800 normal
though, seems to me to be unecessarily crippled, but it is cheaper again
and is faster than the 59xx cards.

then again if you are loaded, then the ultra is the way to go. :)