UNBELIEVABLE , 60hz bug still present after all these year..

jean

I just bought a new 6800Gt and the only resfresh rate available is now 60hz ( my monitor goes up to 75hz,
which I used with my previous ATI 9800 pro), also I now have only 3 resolution available, 800x600,
1024x768 and 1280x1024.

I cannot believe that after all these years nvidia still this damn bug ! I'm now stuck to 60hz and I lost
resolution for my desktop !

Of course I know I could add them manually but still a good driver would be able to read my monitor .inf
properly.

"Jean" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> I just bought a new 6800Gt and the only resfresh rate available is now
> 60hz ( my monitor goes up to 75hz, which I used with my previous ATI 9800
> pro), also I now have only 3 resolution available, 800x600, 1024x768 and
> 1280x1024.
>
> I cannot believe that after all these years nvidia still this damn bug !
> I'm now stuck to 60hz and I lost resolution for my desktop !
>
> Of course I know I could add them manually but still a good driver would
> be able to read my monitor .inf properly.

Cough, once you install your MONITORS tiny driver - Windows will know which
vertical rates and display modes are available! Absolutely nothing to do
with the video driver/card itself!

Roger?

steve

jean

nope it doesn't work. I must specify that I have a LCD monitor with a max refresh rate of 75hz. I'm using
the DVI input.

Steven K wrote:
> "Jean" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I just bought a new 6800Gt and the only resfresh rate available is now
>>60hz ( my monitor goes up to 75hz, which I used with my previous ATI 9800
>>pro), also I now have only 3 resolution available, 800x600, 1024x768 and
>>1280x1024.
>>
>>I cannot believe that after all these years nvidia still this damn bug !
>>I'm now stuck to 60hz and I lost resolution for my desktop !
>>
>>Of course I know I could add them manually but still a good driver would
>>be able to read my monitor .inf properly.
>

> Cough, once you install your MONITORS tiny driver - Windows will know which
> vertical rates and display modes are available! Absolutely nothing to do
> with the video driver/card itself!
>
> Roger?
>
> steve

And to add to that, unless you override the default refresh rates in the
NVidia panel, you're going to get 60hz OpenGL games no matter what
(thanks to XP).

Jean wrote:
> I just bought a new 6800Gt

what brand, and what does it overclock to?

Jeff B

jean

Evga 6800gt....is now for sale only 480cnd...

do you want it ?

> nope it doesn't work. I must specify that I have a LCD monitor with a max
refresh rate of 75hz. I'm using
> the DVI input.

So XP correctly identifies your LCD and knows it is using the DVI
connection? If you have a Dell LCD model 1234, windows needs to know that.
If you dont do it, it won't work right.

Jean wrote:
> Evga 6800gt....is now for sale only 480cnd...
>
> do you want it ?

I want a 6800GT, but it depends on what it overclocks to.
What have you achieved OC wise?

Jeff B

Ist QuickRes will solve your problem free from
http://www.greenparrots.com/aqr.html Just be careful that you don't exceed
your monitors maximum refresh rate! When installed right click the system
tray icon to change the refresh rate or double click to bring up the Display
Properties.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 02:42:02 -0400, "Jean" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote:

>nope it doesn't work. I must specify that I have a LCD monitor with a max refresh rate of 75hz. I'm using
>the DVI input.

For an LCD monitor 60Hz is optimal. The only reason high refresh
rates are desirable for CRT monitors is because of flicker. LCD
monitors don't flicker because the technology is different. The
actual scanning of the LCD picture is handled by the LCD controller in
the monitor and has nothing to do with the refresh rate the video card
feeding it.
Andy Cuffe
baltimora@psu.edu

> Cough, once you install your MONITORS tiny driver - Windows will know
> which vertical rates and display modes are available! Absolutely
> nothing to do with the video driver/card itself!

There was a bug like this in the NVidia driver. If it's still present, the
monitor.inf cannot help. The NVidia driver likes to read the supported
mode info directly from the monitor. The problem, at least in some cases,
is either it gets the info wrong or the monitor sends the wrong info. I
had to disable the pin on the VGA connector that sends this information in
order to enable some modes that my Geforce 4 decided weren't correct.

jean

I hope you're right.... A friend is telling me that higher refresh rate allow for higher framerate in
games with vsynch on.... So you're telling me that he's wrong and only the response time of my LCD matter
? I'm very curious to know WHY then manufactuers release LCD with refresh rate up to 75hz if it doesn't
matter ??? Why all LCD doesn't have only one refresh rate then ?

thanks if you have an answer.

Jean wrote:
> matter ? I'm very curious to know WHY then manufactuers release LCD
> with refresh rate up to 75hz if it doesn't matter ??? Why all LCD
> doesn't have only one refresh rate then ?

Probably for fools like you who keep whining about 60 Hz not being
enough.