Question for John Lewis, or anyone else who cares to reply..

What do you think of the 56.64 Forceware drivers for the GeForce FX 5700
series cards, and how good are the current 56.72 Windows 2000/XP drivers
with the same series of card? Any specific issues with newer or older
games? How do nVidia's video card drivers compare to ATI's nowadays?
Thanks!

Oops, when I mentioned the 56.64 drivers, I meant for Windows 98/ME, as
those are the newest ones available right now for those OS's.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:32:51 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

>What do you think of the 56.64 Forceware drivers for the GeForce FX 5700
>series cards, and how good are the current 56.72 Windows 2000/XP drivers
>with the same series of card? Any specific issues with newer or older
>games? How do nVidia's video card drivers compare to ATI's nowadays?
>Thanks!

Thanks for asking. Not qualified to comment on the FX5700, but the
56.72 drivers are stellar under WinXP on the FX5900. Bypassed the
56.64 drivers..............

John Lewis

> Thanks for asking. Not qualified to comment on the FX5700, but the
> 56.72 drivers are stellar under WinXP on the FX5900. Bypassed the
> 56.64 drivers..............

I appreciate the reply!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:42:35 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

>Oops, when I mentioned the 56.64 drivers, I meant for Windows 98/ME, as
>those are the newest ones available right now for those OS's.

I use Win ME (fully updated) on my Voodoo 5 5500 machine, which I use
for all my Internet, email, newsreading ( now !) and word processing.
And also for my DOS and Glide games................. !! WinME gets a
bad rap from some. I have seen more "recover from major error" on my
Win XP machine than blue screens on this one.

So again I am not qualified to properly answer your question. A bit
like a wet rag really..........very sorry..........

John Lewis

> I use Win ME (fully updated) on my Voodoo 5 5500 machine, which I use
> for all my Internet, email, newsreading ( now !) and word processing.
> And also for my DOS and Glide games................. !! WinME gets a
> bad rap from some. I have seen more "recover from major error" on my
> Win XP machine than blue screens on this one.
>
> So again I am not qualified to properly answer your question. A bit
> like a wet rag really..........very sorry..........
>
> John Lewis

Thanks anyhow...and no worries about the Voodoo5 or Windows ME. I was
running a Voodoo3 in an old box until recently and know that you can only
do retro gaming with those cards! For fun one day, I tried installing and
running 10 different games released in the last year and a half, and only
one of those games ran on the Voodoo3! Not really a surprise, but still
amusing (the game that did run was Deer Hunter 2004). As for Windows ME,
I bought it the day it was released and I have no complaints about
stability. I'm running it as part of a dual boot on my second machine
here with a boatload of older games installed and still remain quite happy
with my experience with it.