My 6800u test results

Just got this card today.
BFG 6800U OC, core/mem = 454Mhz/1.14Ghz
P4 northwood, 13 multiplier, 3.41 Ghz
1G system RAM

So far, very good numbers. 11880 in 3dmark03, and beautiful
graphics.
Unfortunately, games aren't written in 1920x1200, the native res of
my 23" Apple HD monitor, so I can't play games at the proper resolution.
For this reason alone, I'll be sending this card back. Of course I'll
also be willing to
sell it for the right price.

Jeff B

jean

My 6800Gt overclock to 400mhz/1100mhz give me a 3dmark 2003 score of 12678 with a P4 3.2c

Since games doesn't support your res, which card will you choose ?

"Jean" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message

> Since games doesn't support your res, which card will you choose ?

That's what I'm wondering too.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:45:28 GMT, Jeff B <fake@addy.com> wrote:

>Just got this card today.
>BFG 6800U OC, core/mem = 454Mhz/1.14Ghz
>P4 northwood, 13 multiplier, 3.41 Ghz
>1G system RAM
>
>So far, very good numbers. 11880 in 3dmark03, and beautiful
>graphics.
>Unfortunately, games aren't written in 1920x1200, the native res of
>my 23" Apple HD monitor, so I can't play games at the proper resolution.
>For this reason alone, I'll be sending this card back.

Seems as if the tail wagged the dog in your choice of monitor.
Assess all needs - then choose hardware and software.

The Apple display is really gorgeous - for digital fish-tanks.

Three virtues of LCDs:-
* Fixed resolution
* Limited color-depth 5-6 bits Yellow, Cyan, Magenta
( not suitable for photo-processing )
* Usable backlight life ~ 10,000 hrs. Half-brightness
if not already failed by then - glorified fluorescent tube.
Not normally a plug 'n play replacement.

John Lewis

> Of course I'll
>also be willing to
>sell it for the right price.
>
>Jeff B

Jeff,

Could you reach 1920x1200 on either of the DVI ports ?

Louis

Jean wrote:
> My 6800Gt overclock to 400mhz/1100mhz give me a 3dmark 2003 score of 12678 with a P4 3.2c

Turrns out I had fsaa and anio on. I'll rerun and report back.

> Since games doesn't support your res, which card will you choose ?

It varies game by game. In UT2004, 1920x1200 works. In Far Cry,
1600x1200, CoD 1600x1200.

Jeff B

> Seems as if the tail wagged the dog in your choice of monitor.
> Assess all needs - then choose hardware and software.

Yes, except that the 6800U wasn't out when I choose the monitor.

Jeff B

Louis van Abeelen wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Could you reach 1920x1200 on either of the DVI ports ?

Yes. 1920x1200 looks beautiful on desktop. Only Problem
is with some games. Worst case, I must run games at only
1600x1200. So anyone who accepts games at 1600x1200 or lower
would love this card.

Jeff B

"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message

> Just got this card today.
> BFG 6800U OC, core/mem = 454Mhz/1.14Ghz
> P4 northwood, 13 multiplier, 3.41 Ghz
> 1G system RAM
>
> So far, very good numbers. 11880 in 3dmark03, and beautiful
> graphics.
> Unfortunately, games aren't written in 1920x1200, the native res of
> my 23" Apple HD monitor, so I can't play games at the proper resolution.

If that were the case, you would have known that b4 ever buying that card
moron.
For anyone with even half a brain cell(sorry you don't qualify), they know
that most decent modern games will run at just about any res supported by
your vid car/monitor combo...

> If that were the case, you would have known that b4 ever buying that card
> moron.
> For anyone with even half a brain cell(sorry you don't qualify), they know
> that most decent modern games will run at just about any res supported by
> your vid car/monitor combo...

LOL! No wonder you are the most popular member of this NG. :)

Jeff B

> > If that were the case, you would have known that b4 ever buying that
card
> > moron.
> > For anyone with even half a brain cell(sorry you don't qualify), they
know
> > that most decent modern games will run at just about any res supported
by
> > your vid car/monitor combo...
>
> LOL! No wonder you are the most popular member of this NG. :)

Heehe....
I envy you that you even can go beyond 1600x1200 for LCD monitor let alone
1920x1200. I thought I was in heaven at 1600x1200. Maybe I need an Apple
monitor.

CapFusion,...

I do have to say that dumping a card because of the games is kinda dumb.
You make it sound like the monitor and card are perfect, but you're blaming
the card for some game's lack of resolution. I don't see how the heck to
figure that, but maybe your just an ATI fanboy who doesn't recognize a good
deal. :)

Philburg2 wrote:
> I do have to say that dumping a card because of the games is kinda dumb.

So you are unaware that the 6800u is primarily a gaming card.
If I didn't care about games, I would have bought a 5200 and
saved myself $450.

And you call me dumb.

Jeff B

Oh yeah, I'm using a power supply rated at 300 watts. Works fine under
full load.

Jeff B

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:51:01 GMT, Jeff B <fake@addy.com> wrote:

>> Seems as if the tail wagged the dog in your choice of monitor.
>> Assess all needs - then choose hardware and software.
>
>Yes, except that the 6800U wasn't out when I choose the monitor.
>
>Jeff B

Er........... I'm lost.

Which video card includes an *artifact-free* transcoder to 1920x1200
for <software that does not support that resolution > ?

The Xbox2 is rumored to incorporate such a device, since it will have
simultaneous VGA and TV/HDTV outputs. Not available for a little
while....

Shouln't you be trading your pretty Apple display for a more-game-
compatible resolution LCD or better-still the wide-screen Sony
( W900 ?) CRT XGA monitor ?

John Lewis

> Philburg2 wrote:
> > I do have to say that dumping a card because of the games is kinda dumb.
>
> So you are unaware that the 6800u is primarily a gaming card.
> If I didn't care about games, I would have bought a 5200 and
> saved myself $450.

Jeff, you seem to have the issue a little out of perspective. You care
about playing games, but you bought the Apple 23" LCD that needs to run at
1920x1200, yet most games according to you wont run at that resolution.
Seems to me the problem here is that Apple monitor you bought. As no video
card will fix the res issue with games.

jean

The monitor you bought is really no meant for games..weird choice...

Well if you have to money to buy this monitor and the 6800 Ultra..i have the solution for you..

Buy a second LCD monitor ! Dell Fp2001 or Viewsonic VP201b or ??

"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> a écrit dans le message de news:6fVIc.63783$JR4.10647@attbi_s54...

> Philburg2 wrote:
> > I do have to say that dumping a card because of the games is kinda dumb.
>
> So you are unaware that the 6800u is primarily a gaming card.
> If I didn't care about games, I would have bought a 5200 and
> saved myself $450.
>

> And you call me dumb.
>
> Jeff B

> Which video card includes an *artifact-free* transcoder to 1920x1200
> for <software that does not support that resolution > ?

x800xt

Jeff B

> Jeff, you seem to have the issue a little out of perspective. You care
> about playing games, but you bought the Apple 23" LCD that needs to run at
> 1920x1200, yet most games according to you wont run at that resolution.
> Seems to me the problem here is that Apple monitor you bought. As no video
> card will fix the res issue with games.

When I bought the monitor, I assumed that the games that max
out at a lower res would scale up to 1920x1200. The x800 does, the
6800u does not.

Jeff B

> Heehe....
> I envy you that you even can go beyond 1600x1200 for LCD monitor let alone
> 1920x1200. I thought I was in heaven at 1600x1200. Maybe I need an Apple
> monitor.
>
> CapFusion,...

When i got into HDTV a year ago, I found that the best thing about
HDTV is the 16:9 aspect ratio. The Apple is 16:10, close to HDTV
which makes it far more emersive than a standard 4:3 even for the same
screen size.

Jeff B

> When i got into HDTV a year ago, I found that the best thing about
> HDTV is the 16:9 aspect ratio. The Apple is 16:10, close to HDTV
> which makes it far more emersive than a standard 4:3 even for the same
> screen size.

Thanks. I need to remember that ratio.
I never go beyond 1600x1200 border is due to nvidia limited support for DVI.
Other reason is reason in game and how it perform at 1600x1200.
Maybe you gave me another reason to look at higher res. and odd ratio
regarding now for video entertainment beside just game.

CapFusion,...

CapFusion wrote:
> "Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message
>
>>When i got into HDTV a year ago, I found that the best thing about
>>HDTV is the 16:9 aspect ratio. The Apple is 16:10, close to HDTV
>>which makes it far more emersive than a standard 4:3 even for the same
>>screen size.
>>

> Thanks. I need to remember that ratio.
> I never go beyond 1600x1200 border is due to nvidia limited support for DVI.
> Other reason is reason in game and how it perform at 1600x1200.
> Maybe you gave me another reason to look at higher res. and odd ratio
> regarding now for video entertainment beside just game.
>
> CapFusion,...

I use my PC about 70% HDTV, 30% gaming. As far as limited support for
DVI, my BFG6800u drives my apple monitor at 1920x1200 with perfection.

Jeff B

NaDa

Jeff B <fake@addy.com> wrote:
> Just got this card today.
> BFG 6800U OC, core/mem = 454Mhz/1.14Ghz
> P4 northwood, 13 multiplier, 3.41 Ghz
> 1G system RAM
>
> So far, very good numbers. 11880 in 3dmark03, and beautiful
> graphics.
> Unfortunately, games aren't written in 1920x1200, the native res of
> my 23" Apple HD monitor, so I can't play games at the proper resolution.
> For this reason alone, I'll be sending this card back. Of course I'll
> also be willing to
> sell it for the right price.
>
> Jeff B

There has to be a joke somewhere up there. Too funny.

JB

Nada wrote:
> Jeff B <fake@addy.com> wrote:
>
>>Just got this card today.
>>BFG 6800U OC, core/mem = 454Mhz/1.14Ghz
>>P4 northwood, 13 multiplier, 3.41 Ghz
>>1G system RAM
>>
>>So far, very good numbers. 11880 in 3dmark03, and beautiful
>>graphics.
>>Unfortunately, games aren't written in 1920x1200, the native res of
>>my 23" Apple HD monitor, so I can't play games at the proper resolution.
>>For this reason alone, I'll be sending this card back. Of course I'll
>>also be willing to
>>sell it for the right price.
>>
>>Jeff B
>

> There has to be a joke somewhere up there. Too funny.

Ok, you got me...not so much a joke as a typo. FSAA
was on, the real number is 13890 in 3dmark03

Jeff B