NVidia GeForce FX Ultra 5700

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2004 4:30:23 PM

Ok, I guess this is a dumb question but.... I recently got a PowerSpec 9360,
and it has an NVidia GeForce FX Ultra 5700 card, and a DVD burner.

Somehow, I got the impression that it had video input, the hope was that I
could run some old videotapes I had into it from my VCR and convert them to
CD.

But, now, several months later, when I finally get around to trying this
out, and hunker down behind the PC to see what's what...

The card itself just seems to have 3 plugs:

Your regular monitor plug-in.

an SVideo port (But I think that's video OUT).

and then this other plug which I'm not really familiar with, but I guess is
a DVI monitor port.

so, am I out of luck, do I need to go get ye olde video input card, or is
there a way that I can do this with what I'e got?
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:51:08 PM

"Algomeysa2" <Algomeysa2NOSPAM@mindspring.comNOPESPAM> wrote in message
> Ok, I guess this is a dumb question but.... I recently got a PowerSpec
9360,
> and it has an NVidia GeForce FX Ultra 5700 card, and a DVD burner.
>
> Somehow, I got the impression that it had video input, the hope was that I
> could run some old videotapes I had into it from my VCR and convert them
> CD.
>
> But, now, several months later, when I finally get around to trying this
> out, and hunker down behind the PC to see what's what...
>
> The card itself just seems to have 3 plugs:
>
> Your regular monitor plug-in.
>
> an SVideo port (But I think that's video OUT).
>
> and then this other plug which I'm not really familiar with, but I guess
is
> a DVI monitor port.
>
> so, am I out of luck, do I need to go get ye olde video input card, or is
> there a way that I can do this with what I'e got?

From you discription of card, you do not seem to have input or capturing
abilities of that board.
1 - DVI
1 - S-Video [4pins]
1 - RGB

If you want capturing abilities, you may opt for a WinTV or similar that
have input or video capturing.

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:13:49 PM

"Algomeysa2" <Algomeysa2NOSPAM@mindspring.comNOPESPAM> wrote in message
> Ok, I guess this is a dumb question but.... I recently got a PowerSpec
> 9360,
> and it has an NVidia GeForce FX Ultra 5700 card, and a DVD burner.
>
> Somehow, I got the impression that it had video input, the hope was that I
> could run some old videotapes I had into it from my VCR and convert them
> CD.
>
> But, now, several months later, when I finally get around to trying this
> out, and hunker down behind the PC to see what's what...
>
> The card itself just seems to have 3 plugs:
>
> Your regular monitor plug-in.
>
> an SVideo port (But I think that's video OUT).
>
> and then this other plug which I'm not really familiar with, but I guess
> is
> a DVI monitor port.
>
> so, am I out of luck, do I need to go get ye olde video input card, or is
> there a way that I can do this with what I'e got?

Unless the manual specifically states it has VIVO (video in and video out)
capabilities and some capture drivers (and usually software) came with the
card, then it doesn't. Just to check, look in the Device Manager under
Sound, Video and Game Controllers. If you see the lines:

nVidia WDM Video Capture
nVidia WDM W/V Crossbar

then it does. If not, it doesn't. If you're happy with the card and still
have PCI slots available, then you can purchase a separate analog capture
card. If you have no PCI slots, but USB ports, then there are USB capture
devices available.

My FX 5700 (but non Ultra) came with an 'cable/adapter' that connects to the
S-Video port on the card, which has composite and S-Video inputs/outputs at
the other end. It also came with PowerDirector Pro for capturing analog
video.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com