eMachine computer a good bet?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
Pentium 3 unit

Im looking at this eMachine model

see link

http://tinyurl.com/44ulm

Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
feedback?

Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
everyone think of this emachine model?
31 answers Last reply
More about emachine computer good
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
    > Pentium 3 unit
    >
    > Im looking at this eMachine model - http://tinyurl.com/44ulm
    >
    > Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
    > feedback? Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
    > everyone think of this emachine model?

    It is cheap in both price and construction. The question is and has
    always been, does the machine's specs fit your particular needs. For
    most folks, it is more than enought to view the web and print the
    pictures of their kids. If you spend a lot of time in front of the
    computer, do yourself a favor and match it with a high quality monitor.

    Fireclown
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I bought my SO an eMachine a few months ago, it was a refurb from Tiger
    Direct with an AMD processor. I have been very positively impressed with
    its quality. It has a lovely case, very easy access to the innards, sleek
    design, lots of bang for the buck. I have also read some very good reviews
    of eMachines in general, they were #2 in satisfaction with their service in
    one review I read. If I were buying myself a computer right now I would
    definitely be looking at eMachines.

    In news:2tinu0h5632mkoqaddmf5pb9ijkrrd60ld@4ax.com,
    me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> stated
    | Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
    | Pentium 3 unit
    |
    | Im looking at this eMachine model
    |
    | see link
    |
    | http://tinyurl.com/44ulm
    |
    | Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
    | feedback?
    |
    | Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
    | everyone think of this emachine model?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I have had 4 GW machines, and now have two GW's and two EM's, and they all work fine. I bought the EM's for my
    grandkids, and they punish them, but so far <2 years> they still work fine. So if you are looking for a more or less
    basic machine, then you can trust GW/EM.


    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:28:57 -0600, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
    >Pentium 3 unit
    >
    >Im looking at this eMachine model
    >
    >see link
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/44ulm
    >
    >Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
    >feedback?
    >
    >Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
    >everyone think of this emachine model?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > If you spend a lot of time in front of the
    >computer, do yourself a favor and match it with a high quality monitor.

    Will do

    Was thinking of a Princeton 17" lcd monitor for it
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Greetings,

    I bought a Princeton 17" monitor from Costco. The graphics looked ok. My
    digital pictures looked ok. However, text in Excel and Word did not look
    very good at all. Also, text on web pages did not look good either.

    I returned the monitor with in a week. I ended up buying an NEC monitor.

    This was my experience with Princeton.

    Lee

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:cgoou09jhr4kv5cdrgtbgm3hlohqe3rjk5@4ax.com...
    >> If you spend a lot of time in front of the
    >>computer, do yourself a favor and match it with a high quality monitor.
    >
    > Will do
    >
    > Was thinking of a Princeton 17" lcd monitor for it
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Be aware tech support is a long distance number.

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:2tinu0h5632mkoqaddmf5pb9ijkrrd60ld@4ax.com...
    > Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
    > Pentium 3 unit
    >
    > Im looking at this eMachine model
    >
    > see link
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/44ulm
    >
    > Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
    > feedback?
    >
    > Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
    > everyone think of this emachine model?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Pam" <pliggett@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:1h7Hd.32934$re1.26355@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > Be aware tech support is a long distance number.
    >


    Good point. Also, what is the basic warranty on their systems? 1 year?
    Less?


    Stew
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > I ended up buying an NEC monitor.

    What NEC model did you buy? ANd what size?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Be careful if you let any eMachines rebates enter into your decision. The
    company is famous for reneging on rebates.

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Im in market for a new PC.... having just sold my old
    > Pentium 3 unit
    >
    > Im looking at this eMachine model
    >
    > see link
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/44ulm
    >
    > Ant one out there own this unit and have advice or
    > feedback?
    >
    > Ive always bought Dell in the past..... but what does
    > everyone think of this emachine model?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    eMachines Pcs are as cheap as they can possibly be. For less than ten
    percent more you can get a whitebox PC built of good basic components.
    Gateway's tech support and warranty reputation is so poor now that it's
    about impossible to see Gateway surviving very long anyway.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    > eMachines Pcs are as cheap as they can possibly be. For less than ten
    > percent more you can get a whitebox PC built of good basic components.
    > Gateway's tech support and warranty reputation is so poor now that it's
    > about impossible to see Gateway surviving very long anyway.
    >
    After 3 Gateways I have had my last 3 PCs built locally (white boxes) and have had no problems
    with them. If I do have a problem it will be only a short ride (or local phone call) rather
    than a phone call to India.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Hate to disagree with you folks on something like this, but...

    GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    removed from the States than Alabama. The same cannot be said of some of
    GW's competitors.

    As for build quality, I have been a tech analyst for a major manufacturer
    for several years and I can attest that the parts they put in their machines
    are the same as those from the corner PC vendor. This is true for all of
    the large OEMs. Now please don't misunderstand, different boxes will bring
    different parts and varying price points, but all in all if you are buying a
    $500.00 PC you are going to get $500.00 PC parts. This is true no matter
    what the machine costs. Furthermore the OEMs generally sell to the
    beginning or novice PC buyer, or they are selling to a business; the
    requirements are not the same as they are for the enthusiast or expert
    purchaser.

    Just by way of qualification I currently own 1 GW laptop, four GW PCs and 1
    Dell laptop. They all perform perfectly. I also have built and sold many
    PCs of my own in the past. For me, parts are parts; it's what you do with
    them that counts.

    TD
    "Jim" <hjp_spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:uf-dneAZSc5YXZPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    > calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> eMachines Pcs are as cheap as they can possibly be. For less than ten
    >> percent more you can get a whitebox PC built of good basic components.
    >> Gateway's tech support and warranty reputation is so poor now that it's
    >> about impossible to see Gateway surviving very long anyway.
    >>
    > After 3 Gateways I have had my last 3 PCs built locally (white boxes) and
    > have had no problems with them. If I do have a problem it will be only a
    > short ride (or local phone call) rather than a phone call to India.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    TB/TD,

    You'll have to forgive me for asking, but do you work for or sell
    Gateway/eMachine computers?

    The reason I ask is because it appears that this is your one and only
    post to the usenet with your stated address. Your identification is
    inconsistent, almost as if you are confused about your own initials. You
    also express odd opinions such as "tech support has improved" and "parts
    are parts" when the facts are clearly not in evidence. What kind of
    tech analyst fills his house with off-the-shelf computers? If "parts
    are parts," what "tech" are you analyzing?

    Blip on the screen


    TB wrote:

    > Hate to disagree with you folks on something like this, but...
    >
    > GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    > have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    > removed from the States than Alabama. The same cannot be said of some of
    > GW's competitors.
    >
    > As for build quality, I have been a tech analyst for a major manufacturer
    > for several years and I can attest that the parts they put in their machines
    > are the same as those from the corner PC vendor. This is true for all of
    > the large OEMs. Now please don't misunderstand, different boxes will bring
    > different parts and varying price points, but all in all if you are buying a
    > $500.00 PC you are going to get $500.00 PC parts. This is true no matter
    > what the machine costs. Furthermore the OEMs generally sell to the
    > beginning or novice PC buyer, or they are selling to a business; the
    > requirements are not the same as they are for the enthusiast or expert
    > purchaser.
    >
    > Just by way of qualification I currently own 1 GW laptop, four GW PCs and 1
    > Dell laptop. They all perform perfectly. I also have built and sold many
    > PCs of my own in the past. For me, parts are parts; it's what you do with
    > them that counts.
    >
    > TD
    > "Jim" <hjp_spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:uf-dneAZSc5YXZPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    >
    >>calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> eMachines Pcs are as cheap as they can possibly be. For less than ten
    >>>percent more you can get a whitebox PC built of good basic components.
    >>>Gateway's tech support and warranty reputation is so poor now that it's
    >>>about impossible to see Gateway surviving very long anyway.
    >>>
    >>
    >>After 3 Gateways I have had my last 3 PCs built locally (white boxes) and
    >>have had no problems with them. If I do have a problem it will be only a
    >>short ride (or local phone call) rather than a phone call to India.
    >
    >
    >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I have not peered at the innards of any Gateway PC assembled since the eMachine
    merger, buyout or whatever the heck it was. Prior to then, I was impressed by
    the construction and the selection of parts in MOST, but not all of the Gateway
    boxes. I can't comment on the ones with Athlon CPUs in them, because I seem to
    never run across many AMD CPU systems. No comment on Gateway notebooks, either.
    Rarely do I see them.

    The systems with Anigma or MSI motherboards are dogs. Woof! But the ones with
    the Intel-made or -designed boards are/were all very decent indeed... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0800, "TB" <tom_daniels@surewest.net> wrote:

    >Hate to disagree with you folks on something like this, but...
    >
    >GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    >have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    >removed from the States than Alabama. The same cannot be said of some of
    >GW's competitors.
    >
    >As for build quality, I have been a tech analyst for a major manufacturer
    >for several years and I can attest that the parts they put in their machines
    >are the same as those from the corner PC vendor. This is true for all of
    >the large OEMs. Now please don't misunderstand, different boxes will bring
    >different parts and varying price points, but all in all if you are buying a
    >$500.00 PC you are going to get $500.00 PC parts. This is true no matter
    >what the machine costs. Furthermore the OEMs generally sell to the
    >beginning or novice PC buyer, or they are selling to a business; the
    >requirements are not the same as they are for the enthusiast or expert
    >purchaser.
    >
    >Just by way of qualification I currently own 1 GW laptop, four GW PCs and 1
    >Dell laptop. They all perform perfectly. I also have built and sold many
    >PCs of my own in the past. For me, parts are parts; it's what you do with
    >them that counts.
    >
    >TD
    >"Jim" <hjp_spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:uf-dneAZSc5YXZPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    >> calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> eMachines Pcs are as cheap as they can possibly be. For less than ten
    >>> percent more you can get a whitebox PC built of good basic components.
    >>> Gateway's tech support and warranty reputation is so poor now that it's
    >>> about impossible to see Gateway surviving very long anyway.
    >>>
    >> After 3 Gateways I have had my last 3 PCs built locally (white boxes) and
    >> have had no problems with them. If I do have a problem it will be only a
    >> short ride (or local phone call) rather than a phone call to India.
    >
    >
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    >I have not peered at the innards of any Gateway PC assembled since the eMachine
    >merger,

    Has anyone looked at inside of eMachine box lately?

    In specific the T5026?

    see link

    http://tinyurl.com/5wbq9
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Last August I bought a C2825 AMD Athlon XP 2800+ / 512MB DDR / 120GB HDD /
    CD-RW / DVD-ROM / Windows XP Home / Refurbished eMachine for my SO ($399
    with $50 rebate). The case looks just like the one in your picture. I have
    opened it up and was quite impressed with the accessbility of everything
    inside. Very nicely put together and the case is very attractive from the
    outside. Runs rings around my old Gateway PIII 450, of course. He only
    uses it for email so far and I showed him how to burn CDs last week. If I
    were buying myself a desktop now I would definitely get a similar machine,
    but I use a laptop most of the time now and just use the old PC when I want
    to print something or use my old scanner and to back up files from the
    laptop.

    In news:fcg7215p6jmhj7opsn3qn99f9qp79ka26p@4ax.com,
    me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> stated
    || I have not peered at the innards of any Gateway PC assembled since
    || the eMachine merger,
    |
    | Has anyone looked at inside of eMachine box lately?
    |
    | In specific the T5026?
    |
    | see link
    |
    | http://tinyurl.com/5wbq9
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > If I
    >were buying myself a desktop now I would definitely get a similar machine,
    >but I use a laptop most of the time now

    What brand/model laptop you have?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Gateway 450x purchased 12/03.

    In news:5mp721tdes0tt5ijcsftnhn3ngdcmeebef@4ax.com,
    me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> stated
    || If I
    || were buying myself a desktop now I would definitely get a similar
    || machine, but I use a laptop most of the time now
    |
    | What brand/model laptop you have?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0800, "TB" <tom_daniels@surewest.net>
    wrote:

    >GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    >have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    >removed from the States than Alabama.

    Up until my last home desktop ran out of warranty I can say that
    everyone I talked to at GW TS Between 2002 and 2004 had a distinct
    South Asian (Indian) accent and knew nothing about computers except
    what was printed on their terminal to say. Before 2002, they were
    locals and I can truthfully say that half of them didn't have any more
    of a clue than the Indians that took over their jobs. However, I can
    say that I only came across attitude from American GW Techs on more
    than one occasion while the Indians, if not having a clue, were always
    courteous.

    Even though I still have a GW laptop under Business Level Warranty
    which always goes to a North American Techie that usually has a clue,
    after dealing with GW support from 1996 till 2002 on home desktops, I
    finally threw up my hands and gave a reputable local builder a try. I
    have yet to regret my decision. Two home desktops in 2 1/2 years from
    him and have had only one problem which was taken care of locally by
    someone that actually built computers and wasn't reading canned
    replies odd a terminal and which I was dealing with Face To Face.

    Yes, it is true that [Most] all the parts come from the same place.
    That isn't what is in question here. It is how those parts are put
    together to make a final product and how that product is supported
    that matters. All the spinning can not hide the fact that GW lost its
    place in the market due to loosing the bulk of its customer retention
    (returning customers) on their high end models. The joke going around
    now is about some bumper sticker (I have not seen) that says something
    to the effect "I bought a GW once". They now rely on those beginner
    $399 boxes with training wheels and wide screen TV's to keep their
    nose above water.

    My two local builds came with the same warranties offered by GW. The
    difference is that the Techie is 1 mile down the road and he probably
    had a lot to do with the hands on building of my specific computers.
    He doesn't read canned responses off the screen because he has a clue
    and he's not only from my side of the world, he's from my home town.
    And that's if I get the owners Techie. Usually its the owner I end up
    speaking to. Also, I don't think I overly paid for my two local
    builds. They are both AMD Athlon Performance machines in the $650 to
    $750 range. And if I had chosen to use their integrated sound and
    graphics instead, they would have been less.

    BTW, I think he does offer a $499 beginner box like a lot of the
    out-sourced-loving conglomerates do. The big difference is.... real
    local support by a person that has a clue.

    In closing, I don't know if this is true or not but on a few of the
    Techie sites a while back, they were posting that GW had to pull its
    ads where it showed GW boxes being assembled in America.... because
    they got caught with the fact that they weren't. Now they are showing
    ads of a herd of people running across a field delivering the
    computers because they purchase complete assembled boxes out of
    Taiwan with the GW name stamped on them. I don't know if this is true
    but I do know that the ads showing a N. AM. assembly line have not
    been shown since the new ad showing GW delivery herds running across a
    field showed up on TV.

    If nothing else, even though the parts are made in GW's beloved
    Taiwan, lets at least keep our assembly and support money locally...
    Buy a Local Build and keep your money flowing in your own community.
    I have had no regrets since deciding to quit GW and support America,
    as much as one can in a computer, once again.

    TR
  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well, Blip...

    I didn't come in here to get blasted. Just to give an opinion. I know full
    well who I am that's why I don't have a problem putting my email address on
    my posts. As for the confusion, the TB is an inside joke. You wouldn't get
    it. It's attitudes like yours that frequently scare newbies off from these
    types of NGs, when you really could be adding a valid opinion and doing
    something useful.

    As for my qualifications, no, I do not work for GW in any capacity. But I
    have been building and using both PCs and Mac's for over 20 years. I happen
    to work for a company with the initials HP. Whether or not that diminishes
    me in your eyes or not is beside the point. I am simply adding my opinion.
    And at the end of the day, that's all any of this really is.

    As for building a box, please read the following:

    MB- Intel 915G Chipset $125.00
    CPU- P4 560 (3.6G) 439.00
    HD- HDS 250GB SATA 131.00
    Mem- Samsung 2 512 MB 160.00
    Mon- GW FP1750 17" LCd 299.00
    VC- ATI Radeon X800 XT 529.00
    Case- Antec 110.00
    PS- Antec 330W 89.00
    DVD RW- Samsung 16x 62.00
    DVD ROM- Samsung 41.00
    Windows XP Pro 199.00
    Sound Card- SB Audigy 2 ZS 107.00
    Speakers- 2.1 w/sub 50.00

    Total- $2341.00

    These prices are from Pricewatch.com and are current as of 3/1/2005 @11:49
    AM. I used the very same equipment as is listed from SiSoft Sandra on my
    new 7200XL-a Gateway box-for which I paid $2200.00 incl. shipping. I did
    pay tax, but so will you on the above amount, which is in addition to the
    shipping charges on all of those individual parts. Note I did not order from
    the least expensive vendor. I chose vendors that had more than 50 reviews,
    which in most cases ended up being Newegg or Xtreme Gear. I did that to
    avoid vendor problems.

    Quite frankly it would be stupid of me to build my own box. Not to mention
    the fact that if I have a problem with hardware, I just call tech support
    and it's fixed. I don't have to shell out anymore money.
    TB

    PS>All flames will be ignored.

    "TR" <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message
    news:441921pips4c57v12rvdagb8osi2g47poc@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0800, "TB" <tom_daniels@surewest.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    >>have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    >>removed from the States than Alabama.
    >
    > Up until my last home desktop ran out of warranty I can say that
    > everyone I talked to at GW TS Between 2002 and 2004 had a distinct
    > South Asian (Indian) accent and knew nothing about computers except
    > what was printed on their terminal to say. Before 2002, they were
    > locals and I can truthfully say that half of them didn't have any more
    > of a clue than the Indians that took over their jobs. However, I can
    > say that I only came across attitude from American GW Techs on more
    > than one occasion while the Indians, if not having a clue, were always
    > courteous.
    >
    > Even though I still have a GW laptop under Business Level Warranty
    > which always goes to a North American Techie that usually has a clue,
    > after dealing with GW support from 1996 till 2002 on home desktops, I
    > finally threw up my hands and gave a reputable local builder a try. I
    > have yet to regret my decision. Two home desktops in 2 1/2 years from
    > him and have had only one problem which was taken care of locally by
    > someone that actually built computers and wasn't reading canned
    > replies odd a terminal and which I was dealing with Face To Face.
    >
    > Yes, it is true that [Most] all the parts come from the same place.
    > That isn't what is in question here. It is how those parts are put
    > together to make a final product and how that product is supported
    > that matters. All the spinning can not hide the fact that GW lost its
    > place in the market due to loosing the bulk of its customer retention
    > (returning customers) on their high end models. The joke going around
    > now is about some bumper sticker (I have not seen) that says something
    > to the effect "I bought a GW once". They now rely on those beginner
    > $399 boxes with training wheels and wide screen TV's to keep their
    > nose above water.
    >
    > My two local builds came with the same warranties offered by GW. The
    > difference is that the Techie is 1 mile down the road and he probably
    > had a lot to do with the hands on building of my specific computers.
    > He doesn't read canned responses off the screen because he has a clue
    > and he's not only from my side of the world, he's from my home town.
    > And that's if I get the owners Techie. Usually its the owner I end up
    > speaking to. Also, I don't think I overly paid for my two local
    > builds. They are both AMD Athlon Performance machines in the $650 to
    > $750 range. And if I had chosen to use their integrated sound and
    > graphics instead, they would have been less.
    >
    > BTW, I think he does offer a $499 beginner box like a lot of the
    > out-sourced-loving conglomerates do. The big difference is.... real
    > local support by a person that has a clue.
    >
    > In closing, I don't know if this is true or not but on a few of the
    > Techie sites a while back, they were posting that GW had to pull its
    > ads where it showed GW boxes being assembled in America.... because
    > they got caught with the fact that they weren't. Now they are showing
    > ads of a herd of people running across a field delivering the
    > computers because they purchase complete assembled boxes out of
    > Taiwan with the GW name stamped on them. I don't know if this is true
    > but I do know that the ads showing a N. AM. assembly line have not
    > been shown since the new ad showing GW delivery herds running across a
    > field showed up on TV.
    >
    > If nothing else, even though the parts are made in GW's beloved
    > Taiwan, lets at least keep our assembly and support money locally...
    > Buy a Local Build and keep your money flowing in your own community.
    > I have had no regrets since deciding to quit GW and support America,
    > as much as one can in a computer, once again.
    >
    > TR
  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I agree with everything you said. But lets agree that "buying locally"
    is not always buying American. Let's agree to say that [for a few
    examples] if you are Australian, buy Australian builds, if you are
    Canadian, buy Canadian builds and if you are Taiwanese, then by a
    Gateway or Dell.

    I also noticed that this confused idiot TB quoted your entire message
    and then in his confused reply to it, slammed you for what someone else
    said to him. Why quote a message if you don't have the intelligence to
    read it before replying to it? It only makes you look like the torrid
    idiot you are.

    Like TR said.... wherever you are from, buy locally and for whatever TR
    didn't say, ask the imbecile TB.

    NIK


    TR wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0800, "TB" <tom_daniels@surewest.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the
    years I
    > >have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent
    anymore
    > >removed from the States than Alabama.
    >
    > Up until my last home desktop ran out of warranty I can say that
    > everyone I talked to at GW TS Between 2002 and 2004 had a distinct
    > South Asian (Indian) accent and knew nothing about computers except
    > what was printed on their terminal to say. Before 2002, they were
    > locals and I can truthfully say that half of them didn't have any
    more
    > of a clue than the Indians that took over their jobs. However, I can
    > say that I only came across attitude from American GW Techs on more
    > than one occasion while the Indians, if not having a clue, were
    always
    > courteous.
    >
    > Even though I still have a GW laptop under Business Level Warranty
    > which always goes to a North American Techie that usually has a clue,
    > after dealing with GW support from 1996 till 2002 on home desktops, I
    > finally threw up my hands and gave a reputable local builder a try.
    I
    > have yet to regret my decision. Two home desktops in 2 1/2 years
    from
    > him and have had only one problem which was taken care of locally by
    > someone that actually built computers and wasn't reading canned
    > replies odd a terminal and which I was dealing with Face To Face.
    >
    > Yes, it is true that [Most] all the parts come from the same place.
    > That isn't what is in question here. It is how those parts are put
    > together to make a final product and how that product is supported
    > that matters. All the spinning can not hide the fact that GW lost
    its
    > place in the market due to loosing the bulk of its customer retention
    > (returning customers) on their high end models. The joke going
    around
    > now is about some bumper sticker (I have not seen) that says
    something
    > to the effect "I bought a GW once". They now rely on those beginner
    > $399 boxes with training wheels and wide screen TV's to keep their
    > nose above water.
    >
    > My two local builds came with the same warranties offered by GW. The
    > difference is that the Techie is 1 mile down the road and he probably
    > had a lot to do with the hands on building of my specific computers.
    > He doesn't read canned responses off the screen because he has a clue
    > and he's not only from my side of the world, he's from my home town.
    > And that's if I get the owners Techie. Usually its the owner I end
    up
    > speaking to. Also, I don't think I overly paid for my two local
    > builds. They are both AMD Athlon Performance machines in the $650 to
    > $750 range. And if I had chosen to use their integrated sound and
    > graphics instead, they would have been less.
    >
    > BTW, I think he does offer a $499 beginner box like a lot of the
    > out-sourced-loving conglomerates do. The big difference is.... real
    > local support by a person that has a clue.
    >
    > In closing, I don't know if this is true or not but on a few of the
    > Techie sites a while back, they were posting that GW had to pull its
    > ads where it showed GW boxes being assembled in America.... because
    > they got caught with the fact that they weren't. Now they are
    showing
    > ads of a herd of people running across a field delivering the
    > computers because they purchase complete assembled boxes out of
    > Taiwan with the GW name stamped on them. I don't know if this is
    true
    > but I do know that the ads showing a N. AM. assembly line have not
    > been shown since the new ad showing GW delivery herds running across
    a
    > field showed up on TV.
    >
    > If nothing else, even though the parts are made in GW's beloved
    > Taiwan, lets at least keep our assembly and support money locally...
    > Buy a Local Build and keep your money flowing in your own community.
    > I have had no regrets since deciding to quit GW and support America,
    > as much as one can in a computer, once again.
    >
    > TR
  22. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Poor little misunderstood thing you are..... And now its everyone
    else's fault that you are so stupid that you reply to a person,
    quoting their entire message in your reply and then jump all over them
    for something someone else said. Next thing you'll be trying is that
    the devil made you do it. Fess up, you are an idiot and you blame your
    own mental shortcomings on others... But, it don't make cheese here
    kid.

    Let me give you a hint there stupido'

    1. If you have an issue with person A then you reply to person A, NOT
    person B. Duh!
    2. If you put a quote of the message you are replying to in your reply,
    then have the intelligence to actually read the quote and reply to the
    specific contents of that quote, not something fabricated. That will
    keep you from screwing up #1.
    3. If you want to reply to the whole thread, then reply to your
    original message, not a single person in that thread. That will keep
    you from screwing up #1 & #2.
    4. Get a brain. That will keep you from screwing up #1, #2 & #3.

    What a loser!


    TB wrote:
    > Well...
    >
    > Doesn't take much to get everyone in an uproar. Pardon me for
    clicking on
    > the wrong button. However, my post was meant for the entire string
    of
    > messages here, not TR's specifically.
    >
    > My bad that I didn't realize that some folks that inhabit these NGs
    don't
    > have anything better to do than take offense at what someone said.
    No
    > wonder America has such a problem with litigation; everyone's ready
    to take
    > immediate offense to something someone "said" or "didn't say".
    >
    > I originally posted a response in order to address a question
    regarding
    > emachines. For those of you that don't or can't understand that, go
    back
    > and read what I originally posted. If you still don't understand,
    then
    > please find something more productive to do with your time. To the
    rest
    > that just come here to gripe, get a life!
    >
    > TD
  23. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I am use to seeing it but undoubtably unlike you, I am not use to it to
    the point of not pointing it out to these brain dead idiots that
    practice it even when they are doing it to someone else. On another NG
    someone had a good idea to put a stop to this rampid disreguard for any
    reasonable facimile of intelligent exchange. They suggested that there
    be a test that must be passed in order participate in the newsgroups.
    That test would determing if an idividual had an IQ above plant life
    and if they did, then they could participate. That would "weed" out
    about 50% of the particiapants and 100% of the misquoters and false
    accusers.

    NIK


    TR wrote:
    > I have grown use to it and have grown to expect it. I have found
    that
  24. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    So now your story is that you are a HP tech analyst who speaks openly on
    the usenet about how he buys, and advocates to others that they buy,
    their computers from a competitor?

    TB wrote:
    > Well, Blip...
    >
    > I didn't come in here to get blasted. Just to give an opinion. I know full
    > well who I am that's why I don't have a problem putting my email address on
    > my posts. As for the confusion, the TB is an inside joke. You wouldn't get
    > it. It's attitudes like yours that frequently scare newbies off from these
    > types of NGs, when you really could be adding a valid opinion and doing
    > something useful.
    >
    > As for my qualifications, no, I do not work for GW in any capacity. But I
    > have been building and using both PCs and Mac's for over 20 years. I happen
    > to work for a company with the initials HP. Whether or not that diminishes
    > me in your eyes or not is beside the point. I am simply adding my opinion.
    > And at the end of the day, that's all any of this really is.
    >
    > As for building a box, please read the following:
    >
    > MB- Intel 915G Chipset $125.00
    > CPU- P4 560 (3.6G) 439.00
    > HD- HDS 250GB SATA 131.00
    > Mem- Samsung 2 512 MB 160.00
    > Mon- GW FP1750 17" LCd 299.00
    > VC- ATI Radeon X800 XT 529.00
    > Case- Antec 110.00
    > PS- Antec 330W 89.00
    > DVD RW- Samsung 16x 62.00
    > DVD ROM- Samsung 41.00
    > Windows XP Pro 199.00
    > Sound Card- SB Audigy 2 ZS 107.00
    > Speakers- 2.1 w/sub 50.00
    >
    > Total- $2341.00
    >
    > These prices are from Pricewatch.com and are current as of 3/1/2005 @11:49
    > AM. I used the very same equipment as is listed from SiSoft Sandra on my
    > new 7200XL-a Gateway box-for which I paid $2200.00 incl. shipping. I did
    > pay tax, but so will you on the above amount, which is in addition to the
    > shipping charges on all of those individual parts. Note I did not order from
    > the least expensive vendor. I chose vendors that had more than 50 reviews,
    > which in most cases ended up being Newegg or Xtreme Gear. I did that to
    > avoid vendor problems.
    >
    > Quite frankly it would be stupid of me to build my own box. Not to mention
    > the fact that if I have a problem with hardware, I just call tech support
    > and it's fixed. I don't have to shell out anymore money.
    > TB
    >
    > PS>All flames will be ignored.
    >
    > "TR" <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message
    > news:441921pips4c57v12rvdagb8osi2g47poc@4ax.com...
    >
    >>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0800, "TB" <tom_daniels@surewest.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>GW has significantly improved its tech support and in all of the years I
    >>>have had to call, I have never spoken to someone with an accent anymore
    >>>removed from the States than Alabama.
    >>
    >>Up until my last home desktop ran out of warranty I can say that
    >>everyone I talked to at GW TS Between 2002 and 2004 had a distinct
    >>South Asian (Indian) accent and knew nothing about computers except
    >>what was printed on their terminal to say. Before 2002, they were
    >>locals and I can truthfully say that half of them didn't have any more
    >>of a clue than the Indians that took over their jobs. However, I can
    >>say that I only came across attitude from American GW Techs on more
    >>than one occasion while the Indians, if not having a clue, were always
    >>courteous.
    >>
    >>Even though I still have a GW laptop under Business Level Warranty
    >>which always goes to a North American Techie that usually has a clue,
    >>after dealing with GW support from 1996 till 2002 on home desktops, I
    >>finally threw up my hands and gave a reputable local builder a try. I
    >>have yet to regret my decision. Two home desktops in 2 1/2 years from
    >>him and have had only one problem which was taken care of locally by
    >>someone that actually built computers and wasn't reading canned
    >>replies odd a terminal and which I was dealing with Face To Face.
    >>
    >>Yes, it is true that [Most] all the parts come from the same place.
    >>That isn't what is in question here. It is how those parts are put
    >>together to make a final product and how that product is supported
    >>that matters. All the spinning can not hide the fact that GW lost its
    >>place in the market due to loosing the bulk of its customer retention
    >>(returning customers) on their high end models. The joke going around
    >>now is about some bumper sticker (I have not seen) that says something
    >>to the effect "I bought a GW once". They now rely on those beginner
    >>$399 boxes with training wheels and wide screen TV's to keep their
    >>nose above water.
    >>
    >>My two local builds came with the same warranties offered by GW. The
    >>difference is that the Techie is 1 mile down the road and he probably
    >>had a lot to do with the hands on building of my specific computers.
    >>He doesn't read canned responses off the screen because he has a clue
    >>and he's not only from my side of the world, he's from my home town.
    >>And that's if I get the owners Techie. Usually its the owner I end up
    >>speaking to. Also, I don't think I overly paid for my two local
    >>builds. They are both AMD Athlon Performance machines in the $650 to
    >>$750 range. And if I had chosen to use their integrated sound and
    >>graphics instead, they would have been less.
    >>
    >>BTW, I think he does offer a $499 beginner box like a lot of the
    >>out-sourced-loving conglomerates do. The big difference is.... real
    >>local support by a person that has a clue.
    >>
    >>In closing, I don't know if this is true or not but on a few of the
    >>Techie sites a while back, they were posting that GW had to pull its
    >>ads where it showed GW boxes being assembled in America.... because
    >>they got caught with the fact that they weren't. Now they are showing
    >>ads of a herd of people running across a field delivering the
    >>computers because they purchase complete assembled boxes out of
    >>Taiwan with the GW name stamped on them. I don't know if this is true
    >>but I do know that the ads showing a N. AM. assembly line have not
    >>been shown since the new ad showing GW delivery herds running across a
    >>field showed up on TV.
    >>
    >>If nothing else, even though the parts are made in GW's beloved
    >>Taiwan, lets at least keep our assembly and support money locally...
    >>Buy a Local Build and keep your money flowing in your own community.
    >>I have had no regrets since deciding to quit GW and support America,
    >>as much as one can in a computer, once again.
    >>
    >>TR
    >
    >
    >
  25. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 1 Mar 2005 16:22:41 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >I agree with everything you said. But lets agree that "buying locally"
    >is not always buying American.

    Very presumptuous of myself and I stand corrected.

    >and if you are Taiwanese, then by a
    >Gateway or Dell.

    Ooh! However, I am sure that in most countries that there are
    reputable box builders that need the business of their countrymen, er.
    need to be politically correct here, new word... countrypersons.

    >I also noticed that this confused idiot TB quoted your entire message
    >and then in his confused reply to it, slammed you for what someone else
    >said to him.

    I have grown use to it and have grown to expect it. I have found that
    the average NG user participant to have a reading and comprehension
    level compared to that of a opossum. Yes, it is extremely hard to
    understand that they can actually put a quote of your entire message
    in their reply and then turn around and misquote what you said and
    make stuff up of what you actually said. The real scary thing is,
    they probably drive, vote and worse of all, breed new generations of
    their own. Next to this newest one we have here, one of the worse I
    ever came across is one of the microsoft NG MVPs.

    >wherever you are from, buy locally and for whatever TR
    >didn't say, ask the imbecile TB.

    Ooh... you're on a role today......

    Regards,
    TR
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well...

    Doesn't take much to get everyone in an uproar. Pardon me for clicking on
    the wrong button. However, my post was meant for the entire string of
    messages here, not TR's specifically.

    My bad that I didn't realize that some folks that inhabit these NGs don't
    have anything better to do than take offense at what someone said. No
    wonder America has such a problem with litigation; everyone's ready to take
    immediate offense to something someone "said" or "didn't say".

    I originally posted a response in order to address a question regarding
    emachines. For those of you that don't or can't understand that, go back
    and read what I originally posted. If you still don't understand, then
    please find something more productive to do with your time. To the rest
    that just come here to gripe, get a life!

    TD
    "TR" <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message
    news:trkb215pjbk7aqi1dr2u81l3euca2gbh2t@4ax.com...
    > On 1 Mar 2005 16:22:41 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >
    >>I agree with everything you said. But lets agree that "buying locally"
    >>is not always buying American.
    >
    > Very presumptuous of myself and I stand corrected.
    >
    >>and if you are Taiwanese, then by a
    >>Gateway or Dell.
    >
    > Ooh! However, I am sure that in most countries that there are
    > reputable box builders that need the business of their countrymen, er.
    > need to be politically correct here, new word... countrypersons.
    >
    >>I also noticed that this confused idiot TB quoted your entire message
    >>and then in his confused reply to it, slammed you for what someone else
    >>said to him.
    >
    > I have grown use to it and have grown to expect it. I have found that
    > the average NG user participant to have a reading and comprehension
    > level compared to that of a opossum. Yes, it is extremely hard to
    > understand that they can actually put a quote of your entire message
    > in their reply and then turn around and misquote what you said and
    > make stuff up of what you actually said. The real scary thing is,
    > they probably drive, vote and worse of all, breed new generations of
    > their own. Next to this newest one we have here, one of the worse I
    > ever came across is one of the microsoft NG MVPs.
    >
    >>wherever you are from, buy locally and for whatever TR
    >>didn't say, ask the imbecile TB.
    >
    > Ooh... you're on a role today......
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I've had three gateways. I still have the last gateway I ever bought
    which is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty. It's the poor
    level of outsourced service rendered under the warranty on that gateway
    that led me to making my latest acquisition from a local company. And
    yes, the local company did charge me more for what I would have paid
    for a component comparable machine from gateway, a whopping big $75
    more. Service from someone that speaks one of the two languages I do
    is worth the extra $75 to me. And like you said, the guy that will
    service that machine probably had a lot to do with building that
    machine.

    Just to have fun with you ---- Buy Canadian!

    Just yanking your chain there TR.

    NIK


    TR wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2005 10:23:02 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >
    > >I am use to seeing it but undoubtably unlike you, I am not use to it
    to
    > >the point of not pointing it out to these brain dead idiots that
    > >practice it even when they are doing it to someone else.
    >
    > Oh, every now and then, I'll point it out to one of them, but you
    have
    > to remember who/what you are dealing with and usually, when you point
    > out what they did, they try to turn it back around on you and make it
    > your fault that they are so ignorant. So the best thing to do is
    just
    > not communicate with them and leave them to wallow in their own
    > stupidity. Remember, the intelligent ones that you really wish to
    > communicate with can see for themselves what they did so you don't
    > really need to broadcast it any further. It just makes the idiot
    more
    > rabid.
    >
    > >That would "weed" out
    >
    > No pun intended, right?
    >
    > I wanted to ask but forgot last time.... Are you a past/present GW
    box
    > owner that has/is going to convert one's patronage to a local
    builder?
    > As I said in my message, I have never regretted moving from GW to
    give
    > support to a local builder. The price of a comparable box has been
    > very close and the support given by the local vender has overshadowed
    > that of GW's outsourced support 10 to 1 in my experience. And
    there's
    > nothing in the whole world that can compete with a face to face
    > meeting with support people that actually had a hand in the building
    > of your computer and not Abdul who was pulled off a bamboo plantation
    > and given the equivalent of $50/hr Am to read canned messages off a
    > computer screen. Too bad we can't get local built laptops.
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 10:23:02 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >I am use to seeing it but undoubtably unlike you, I am not use to it to
    >the point of not pointing it out to these brain dead idiots that
    >practice it even when they are doing it to someone else.

    Oh, every now and then, I'll point it out to one of them, but you have
    to remember who/what you are dealing with and usually, when you point
    out what they did, they try to turn it back around on you and make it
    your fault that they are so ignorant. So the best thing to do is just
    not communicate with them and leave them to wallow in their own
    stupidity. Remember, the intelligent ones that you really wish to
    communicate with can see for themselves what they did so you don't
    really need to broadcast it any further. It just makes the idiot more
    rabid.

    >That would "weed" out

    No pun intended, right?

    I wanted to ask but forgot last time.... Are you a past/present GW box
    owner that has/is going to convert one's patronage to a local builder?
    As I said in my message, I have never regretted moving from GW to give
    support to a local builder. The price of a comparable box has been
    very close and the support given by the local vender has overshadowed
    that of GW's outsourced support 10 to 1 in my experience. And there's
    nothing in the whole world that can compete with a face to face
    meeting with support people that actually had a hand in the building
    of your computer and not Abdul who was pulled off a bamboo plantation
    and given the equivalent of $50/hr Am to read canned messages off a
    computer screen. Too bad we can't get local built laptops.

    Regards,
    TR
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 17:55:38 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >Just to have fun with you ---- Buy Canadian!

    Ah... Neighbor to the North.

    BTW, sent you an email before your last message on here and haven't
    gotten a reply to it yet. Did you get it?

    Regards,
    TR
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    That's a dead end email address. I haven't even been to it in years.
    Actually, I don't remember how to get to it or the password any more.
    I'm surprised it's still there and you didn't get a bounce. I had to
    supply an email address to get this newsgroup account back when and
    wasn't about to use my real one so used this one since I didn't use it
    any more. Its probably full of spam and that's just fine because there
    should be a nice unused deep well for spam to goto.

    If you need to email me something, I can make my real address available
    to you.

    NIK


    TR wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2005 17:55:38 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >
    > >Just to have fun with you ---- Buy Canadian!
    >
    > Ah... Neighbor to the North.
    >
    > BTW, sent you an email before your last message on here and haven't
    > gotten a reply to it yet. Did you get it?
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 4 Mar 2005 10:53:22 -0800, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >If you need to email me something, I can make my real address available
    >to you.

    Not needed... Actually I was emailing you to tell you that you
    shouldn't be using your real email address on the NG's. You were
    already one step ahead of me.....

    Regards,
    TR
Ask a new question

Read More

Gateway Computer eMachines Computers