BIOS question

I notice on my 5200 that the BIOS version is 4.34.20.42.

On my old Ge Force 4 MX420 i never noticed anything about BIOS regarding it,
if it was there at all i didnt notice it.

My question is is my BIOS version the latest for my card? Does the BIOS get
updated along with the driver updates? Do i have to download something
different to update the BIOS separately from the drivers?

Any help or explanations would be appreciated thanks.

Matt
--
Collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/GLYTCH_2K4
MSN: GLYTCH_2K4(at)msn.com

"GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak)" <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote in message
> I notice on my 5200 that the BIOS version is 4.34.20.42.
>
> On my old Ge Force 4 MX420 i never noticed anything about BIOS regarding
it,
> if it was there at all i didnt notice it.
>
> My question is is my BIOS version the latest for my card? Does the BIOS
get
> updated along with the driver updates? Do i have to download something
> different to update the BIOS separately from the drivers?
>
> Any help or explanations would be appreciated thanks.

BIOS and Driver is a separate thing.
BIOS is a basic set of instruction for your card.
Driver is a interpreter for your hardware of your VGA card with your OS.

You can try checking if your VGA card have update BIOS from that card
manufacturer.

1 Note - Note call card need BIOS update or for everyone.
2 Note - If encounter problem, try updating driver first, then BIOS.[if
available]
3 Note - If it working. DO NOT try to fix something that is not broken. You
may end-up breaking it.

CapFusion,...

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:34:38 +0100, "GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)"
<GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote:

>I notice on my 5200 that the BIOS version is 4.34.20.42.
>
>On my old Ge Force 4 MX420 i never noticed anything about BIOS regarding it,
>if it was there at all i didnt notice it.

There is an option in the BIOS to have it display on bootup or not.
Obviously whomever made your GF4MX decided to have it not display it.
Not a big deal.

>My question is is my BIOS version the latest for my card?

Most likely no.

>Does the BIOS get updated along with the driver updates?

Nope.

>Do i have to download something
>different to update the BIOS separately from the drivers?

Yes, but it's entirely not worth it. It doesn't add any performance
and you run the risk of breaking it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

>Any help or explanations would be appreciated thanks.
>
>Matt

[snip]
"SevenSamurai" <20xx@20xx.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:34:38 +0100, "GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)"
>
> There is an option in the BIOS to have it display on bootup or not.
> Obviously whomever made your GF4MX decided to have it not display it.
> Not a big deal.

[/snip]

No, it the MoBo. Some MoBo will have so call "Boot-Up in Stealth Mode" which
will show their logo. This is an example of Intel MoBo. Other manufacturer
will have their own term regarding "stealth". Using the word "Stealth", when
it being disable, you will see bootup posting.

[snip]
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

[/snip]

I like this comment. I have SEEN too many people trying to fix something
that is not broken until too late. Just because someone told them to.

CapFusion,...

SevenSamurai wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:34:38 +0100, "GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)"
> <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I notice on my 5200 that the BIOS version is 4.34.20.42.
>>
>> On my old Ge Force 4 MX420 i never noticed anything about BIOS
>> regarding it, if it was there at all i didnt notice it.
>
> There is an option in the BIOS to have it display on bootup or not.
> Obviously whomever made your GF4MX decided to have it not display it.
> Not a big deal.
>

>> My question is is my BIOS version the latest for my card?
>
> Most likely no.
>
>> Does the BIOS get updated along with the driver updates?
>
> Nope.
>
>> Do i have to download something
>> different to update the BIOS separately from the drivers?
>
> Yes, but it's entirely not worth it. It doesn't add any performance
> and you run the risk of breaking it.
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
>> Any help or explanations would be appreciated thanks.
>>
>> Matt

I actually saw it in the nVIDIA display properties not on bootup, cant say i
noticed a bit there about BIOS with the GF4MX420.

So if i choose to update the bios, where can i get the latest versions from?
cant find anything on nVIDIAs website to that effect.

Matt

> I actually saw it in the nVIDIA display properties not on bootup, cant say
> noticed a bit there about BIOS with the GF4MX420.

Yes. it will show - Adapter information / System information / Driver
version information.
It is best to see in both area to compare. Sometime when Bootup show one
thing and display properties show other thing.

> So if i choose to update the bios, where can i get the latest versions
from?
> cant find anything on nVIDIAs website to that effect.

Nvidia do not provide BIOS to public user. You will need to get it from the
manufacturer of the card.
Nvidia provide / produce / develop specific BIOS to manufacturer for that
particular card.

CapFusion,...

"GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak)" <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote in message
> SevenSamurai wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:34:38 +0100, "GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)"
> > <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I notice on my 5200 that the BIOS version is 4.34.20.42.
> >>
> >> On my old Ge Force 4 MX420 i never noticed anything about BIOS
> >> regarding it, if it was there at all i didnt notice it.
> >
> > There is an option in the BIOS to have it display on bootup or not.
> > Obviously whomever made your GF4MX decided to have it not display it.
> > Not a big deal.
> >

> >> My question is is my BIOS version the latest for my card?
> >
> > Most likely no.
> >
> >> Does the BIOS get updated along with the driver updates?
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> >> Do i have to download something
> >> different to update the BIOS separately from the drivers?
> >
> > Yes, but it's entirely not worth it. It doesn't add any performance
> > and you run the risk of breaking it.
> >
> > "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
> >
> >> Any help or explanations would be appreciated thanks.
> >>
> >> Matt
>
> I actually saw it in the nVIDIA display properties not on bootup, cant say
> noticed a bit there about BIOS with the GF4MX420.
>
> So if i choose to update the bios, where can i get the latest versions
from?
> cant find anything on nVIDIAs website to that effect.
>
> Matt

Here's a little advice...

Keep your £20 card, and be happy it works

Don't mess with it.

CapFusion wrote:
> Nvidia do not provide BIOS to public user. You will need to get it
> from the manufacturer of the card.
> Nvidia provide / produce / develop specific BIOS to manufacturer for
> that particular card.
>
> CapFusion,...

Right, shame i have no idea what make the card is, no markings or anything
on it to suggest who makes it, no part number either.

Ohh well, thanks for explaining that anyway. But can you tell me one more
thing, what does the BIOS on the card do and how would you go about updating
it if u are able to?

Thanks mate

Matt
--

> Right, shame i have no idea what make the card is, no markings or anything
> on it to suggest who makes it, no part number either.
>
> Ohh well, thanks for explaining that anyway. But can you tell me one more
> thing, what does the BIOS on the card do and how would you go about
updating
> it if u are able to?

No sticker / label?
I bet there a FCC imprint on the back of the card.....It may not say the
name but will have itial or similar discription.

BIOS on the card is the same function that BIOS on the MoBo.
It just a basic instruction set for the card.
Basic
Input
Output
System
This information is store on a ROM or flash chip.

You will need a utility like Flash ROM to copy / rewrite to ROM chip. I am
not sure if I am writing this correctly in simply term.. Take MoBo BIOS for
example. It use a flash utility to flash the ROM.....ummhh.... well..
I give up on this.... It the same way you flash your mainboard BIOS.

CapFusion,...

Biz wrote:
> Here's a little advice...
>
> Keep your £20 card, and be happy it works
>
> Don't mess with it.

Now i see why other people have commented on your friendliness.

Matt
--

GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak) wrote:
> Ohh well, thanks for explaining that anyway. But can you tell me one
> more thing, what does the BIOS on the card do and how would you go
> about updating it if u are able to?

Ahh dont worry just read your other post, thanks for being helpful.

Matt
--

> GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak) wrote:
> > Ohh well, thanks for explaining that anyway. But can you tell me one
> > more thing, what does the BIOS on the card do and how would you go
> > about updating it if u are able to?
>
> Ahh dont worry just read your other post, thanks for being helpful.

I am sorry, I do not understand this above comment. Maybe I need more java
intake...... Are you talking to yourself?

CapFusion,....

CapFusion wrote:
> I am sorry, I do not understand this above comment. Maybe I need more
> java intake...... Are you talking to yourself?
>
> CapFusion,....

Yeah sorry i replied to my own post as i previously asked you to explain
some more, but then i red your reply further down and didnt need further
explanation, so thats what i meant. Sorry my bad

Matt