TV Out Nvidia GeForce4 440 128DDR ??

Andy

I have just upgraded from an nVidia GeForce 4 440MX 64Mb, to a GeForce 4
440MX 128DDR (exact specs are GeFORCE4 MX440-8X 128MB DDR+TV). I was
wondering what the yellow phono socket on the back did. There is nothing in
the instructions. I have 3 connectors on the rear of the cars. One is DV TV
or something (don't use it), one is an S-Video which is connected to the
S-Video input of my TV, and the other one which wasn't on my old card
resembles a female phono socket (yellow). I was just wondering what i can
connect to that, is it an input or an output. If it's an input then how to i
watch what is being input into my PC.

Cheers (pardon the novice-ness !)

Andy

"Andy" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have just upgraded from an nVidia GeForce 4 440MX 64Mb, to a GeForce 4
> 440MX 128DDR (exact specs are GeFORCE4 MX440-8X 128MB DDR+TV). I was
> wondering what the yellow phono socket on the back did. There is nothing
in
> the instructions. I have 3 connectors on the rear of the cars. One is DV
TV
> or something (don't use it), one is an S-Video which is connected to the
> S-Video input of my TV, and the other one which wasn't on my old card
> resembles a female phono socket (yellow). I was just wondering what i can
> connect to that, is it an input or an output. If it's an input then how to
> watch what is being input into my PC.
>
> Cheers (pardon the novice-ness !)
>
> Andy
>
> And educated guess would be its just a composite tv output. Unless the
card is a VIVO card, there are no video inputs on them.

Andy

according to the book it is a VIVO card. Wondered how to view input though
(on what software) ???

Andy

> according to the book it is a VIVO card. Wondered how to view input though
> (on what software) ???
>
> Andy
Would have helped had you shared that bit of info a bit earlier.. ;)

YOu need to install teh WDM capture drivers...

Andy

Surely they would have been installed with the software CD i got with it.
Don't really like adding any other drivers to the card as it's working fine
at the moment (just not with composite VIVO).

> Surely they would have been installed with the software CD i got with it.
> Don't really like adding any other drivers to the card as it's working
fine
> at the moment (just not with composite VIVO).

OK Andy, you do seem to provide specific.
Do you still have the package? If so, can you read the package name - Make /
Model?
Just incase you no longer have a that packge, how many port does that card
have?
Does one of those port that look like a PS/2 - how many pins does it have?

Does that PS/2 port have like 9pins? If so, can you check if there a chip
next to the heatsink/fan?
That chipset should be a capture chip. That chip can be a phillip - SAA7114H
or similar? Some manufacturer may use a different capturer chip. The chip
should reside on the left side of the HS/F if they stick to the nvidia
reference.

If you have it, they your card might be a ViVo, You then simply install the
WDM from the CD disc that provided. You can use the latest driver from
nvidia with the WDM driver on the CD disc.

CapFusion,...

"Andy" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Surely they would have been installed with the software CD i got with it.
> Don't really like adding any other drivers to the card as it's working
fine
> at the moment (just not with composite VIVO).
>
> Andy

Since alot of people may never use the vivo capabilities of a card, they are
not installed by default. Unless you see a listing for WDM capture device
in the device manager, or a WDM listing for capture drivers under add/remove
programs, they are not there.

Andy

Hello,
Thanks for the info, i don't really want to take my card back out but the
maker is SPARKLE and it's a SP7300M4T/128MB DDR. GEFORCE4 MX440-8X 128MB
DDR+TV (reading from box). Does that shed any light ?. The handbook does
actually mention being a VIVO card (don't know if it's just a 'standard'
book for all their cards though). I have noticed in device manager that
there is a yellow exclamation next to nVidia WDM capture (universal) states
'Code10'. However, all the other WDM stuff (like Tuner, A/V crossbar,
TV/Audio crossbar) are OK.

Cheers
Andy

> Hello,
> Thanks for the info, i don't really want to take my card back out but the
> maker is SPARKLE and it's a SP7300M4T/128MB DDR. GEFORCE4 MX440-8X 128MB
> DDR+TV (reading from box). Does that shed any light ?. The handbook does
> actually mention being a VIVO card (don't know if it's just a 'standard'
> book for all their cards though). I have noticed in device manager that
> there is a yellow exclamation next to nVidia WDM capture (universal)
states
> 'Code10'. However, all the other WDM stuff (like Tuner, A/V crossbar,
> TV/Audio crossbar) are OK.

When there is a code10 for the WDM, your Turner or capturing should not work
or see the source. Double check in Sound, Video, and game controller
category from Device Manager to see if there any other WDM device. You
should be seeing Nvidia Universal Capture .... something.... going by memory
here.

Code 10 simple mean, that device is not started or working.

Can you capture or see the source image?

CapFusion,....

Andy

Yep, i can capture through the s-video socket from the TV output (on my TV).
I now found that i can output to a VCR/TV with the phono (or composite, is
it ?), but i don't know how to get a signal coming into my PC to capture.

I use WinTV2000 but i don't see any other 'sources' here, just my WebCam and
the Hauppage WinTV card. Choosing 'composite' just gives a black screen.

Guess it wasn't meant to work that way ?. I thought maybe that i could
record/capture at a higher resolution using this connection ?

> Yep, i can capture through the s-video socket from the TV output (on my
TV).
> I now found that i can output to a VCR/TV with the phono (or composite, is
> it ?), but i don't know how to get a signal coming into my PC to capture.
>
> I use WinTV2000 but i don't see any other 'sources' here, just my WebCam
and
> the Hauppage WinTV card. Choosing 'composite' just gives a black screen.
>
> Guess it wasn't meant to work that way ?. I thought maybe that i could
> record/capture at a higher resolution using this connection ?

You have WinTV and GeForce4 MX440 (assumed). Which device you using to
capture the source / signal when you refer to the S-Video / Composite?

I do not have WinTV at this time to tell you. But as for NVIDIA card, if it
a ViVo model, you will see NVIDIA WDM Universal Capture there from Device
Manager in Sound Video and Game Controller. If you have something else, I
assumed it WinTV.

Let assumed it ViVo from nvidia card. Normally it will bundle like WinDVD
Creator software or similar. In WinDVD Creator, there will be a picture of a
TV / Monitor. Next to it is a icon of a wrench. Click on it to change the
source to either S-Video / Composite / TV Turner. This is will it will
capture the source / signal. Make sure you have that cable attach to that
device. Otherwise it will be blank.

What software you have with WinTV? Doe it have some kind of software. I
would assumed it should have one. Otherwise you will not be able to capture
signal like TV boardcast..

CapFusion,...

Andy

Thanks CapFusion, i didnt install the software because i already had
Intervideo WinDVD6, which i like better. However, i open it in WinTV2000 and
there are options in the configuration there. Composite, S-Video etc are
mentioned in there, however when i try to capture from composite the screen
is black. I have the other end of the composite plugged into my TV (on the
'tv-out' composite), so i am assuming this way won't work. I might have to
keep on using the s-video cable instead.

Thanks for all your help CapFusion.

> Thanks CapFusion, i didnt install the software because i already had
> Intervideo WinDVD6, which i like better. However, i open it in WinTV2000
and
> there are options in the configuration there. Composite, S-Video etc are
> mentioned in there, however when i try to capture from composite the
screen
> is black. I have the other end of the composite plugged into my TV (on the
> 'tv-out' composite), so i am assuming this way won't work. I might have to
> keep on using the s-video cable instead.
>
> Thanks for all your help CapFusion.

Are you sure your tv has a composite output? They may exist but I have
never seen a tv with video out...

Andy

Yep, it's an old Toshiba 28 inch dolby thingy, and it has a composite
labelled (video out), it's a yellow phono out. It does work on my WinTV
through the graphics card (in via s-video)

> Yep, it's an old Toshiba 28 inch dolby thingy, and it has a composite
> labelled (video out), it's a yellow phono out. It does work on my WinTV
> through the graphics card (in via s-video)

I was starting to worry. It seem from this comment that you gotten it
straighten out.
Have fun.

CapFusion,...