desktop icons only 256 colors

This is weird: since yesterday my desktop icons on Win2000 are only 256
colors. Everything else seems to be fine - I open Photoshop and have full
32bit colors. But when I try to open some programs that check the computer's
bitrate (e.g. some games or a DVD player) they will fail to open due to an
incorrect color depth.

I checked all the Display Properties: Settings are 32bit True Color.
Effects - Show Icons using all possible colors is turned on. Can't figure
out where the problem is. I even downloaded the latest driver for my
Graphics Card (Geforce 2), but that didn't help either. It doesn't really
seem to be a graphics card problem, as it only happens on the Windows
Desktop.

"Fredo Vincentis" <yahoda21@hotmailNoSpam.com> wrote in message
> This is weird: since yesterday my desktop icons on Win2000 are only 256
> colors. Everything else seems to be fine - I open Photoshop and have full
> 32bit colors. But when I try to open some programs that check the
computer's
> bitrate (e.g. some games or a DVD player) they will fail to open due to an
> incorrect color depth.
>
> I checked all the Display Properties: Settings are 32bit True Color.
> Effects - Show Icons using all possible colors is turned on. Can't figure
> out where the problem is. I even downloaded the latest driver for my
> Graphics Card (Geforce 2), but that didn't help either. It doesn't really
> seem to be a graphics card problem, as it only happens on the Windows
> Desktop.

Can you try to reinstall the driver? First is to remove the old or any
graphic / nvidia driver from safemode / VGA mode. After all driver remove,
return to normal windows and reinstall again. Check if the driver is install
from Display Properties to check if the device is correct and setting. Check
back with your DVD and other tools / apps you have problem before.

CapFusion,...