Help me decide

G

I am looking at getting either a ViewSonic VP150m LCD or a Sony SDM-M51D LCD. They are both very similar. I like the Sony's look and price ($100 cheaper), but the Viewsonic has a few more features that I like. Here are the links to the .pdf files:

<A HREF="http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/products/vp150m.pdf" target="_new">ViewSonic</A> <A HREF="http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/displays/legacy/specs/sdmm51d.pdf" target="_new">Sony</A>

I don't have any experience with either the Viewsonic TFTs or Sony TFTs. Reading the forum, it seems Viewsonic makes a great product, but I'm sure Sony is no slouch either.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to them as well. I would like at least the following specs:

DVI interface
15" Viewable
30ms Response Time
300:1 Contrast Ratio
200 cd/m^2 Luminance
at least 140 Degree viewing angles (a little less is ok)

I will be using this monitor for CAD/graphics/internet and a few games. Please give your opinions!

Thanks,
Blake

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
You don't want teh VP150m, believ me I had one, and I too do graphics and all that. It has considerable problems with color ramps; a pic starts out white and turns black. If you really must, get the Sony LCD. Although I have seen the Eizo L371 LCD- I know I often reccomend them, but that is simply because they are the best imo (so no, I'm not a sales rep. for Eizo). But you should consider it. What exactly is your price range? Whatever you do though, don't get the VP150m. BTW, teh L371 has a 35ms Response Time. That won't matter at all though. However, looking at the specs for the Sony, it's got a response time of 50ms. Way too much. You se, there is a 20ms rise time, and 30ms fall time. You must add the two in order to get the response time. The VP150m has 25ms reponse time, but that doesn't matter b/c the image quality sucks.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

G

The Eizo L371 might be a little too rich for my blood. I was trying to keep it under $650. I've heard that Viewsonics are pretty good. Was the one you had defective, or are they all like that? I can't imagine that they would put a product out that turns graphics from white to black. Thanks for the input.

TRENDING THREADS