Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard, new issues

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2010 12:10:31 PM

I built my system about 3 years ago and recently my motherboard died. I installed a new board and am now having issues booting up.

I can get into the BIOS and it recognizes all my components. However, when I exit the BIOS, the computer essentially goes into an endless loop. It attempts to fix the issue, it cannot, it goes back to the a screen which gives me the option to attempt to fix or boot as normal. Both take me right back to square 1.

I have a windows 7 installation disk and configured the BIOS to boot from my CD/DVD drive first, however, when I do so it just sits at a black screen with a blinking "_" in the upper left hand corner.

I've been searching for days and am at the point where I would be fine with losing all my data and starting from scratch, but I can't figure out how to do a clean install.

Any advice whatsoever would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : motherboard issues

a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 12:45:14 PM

Right first of all have you set the boot order correct in the bios.
If you want to boot from the windows 7 install dvd make sure the dvd drive is first in the list of the bios boot order section.
once done save the setting in the bios before exit.

You need to ask the question of how the HDD was setup on the old board as well.
If it is just one drive then the settings in the bios should be set to ACHI or IDE.
If it is set to RAID that is why the drive wont boot and the pc loops to a restart.
Personaly your better off doing a clean install of windows 7 as all the old drivers from the old board you had may cause a big problem if windows does boot after what i have told you.
m
l
November 20, 2010 12:50:03 PM

I'd love to do a clean install - I just can't figure out how.

I just have one drive and can't find it being set to RAID anywhere.

On the "Main" BIOS screen it lists the devices in the following order:

Primary IDE Master - NONE
Primary IDE Slave - NONE
SATA 1 - LITE-ON...etc
SATA 2 - ST3320620AS (my HDD)
SATA 3 - NONE
SATA 4 - NONE
HDD SMART Monitoring - Disabled
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2010 12:51:55 PM

I believe the issue is that Windows doesn't (and won't) recognize the new board. I just can't figure out a way to repair or reformat to start from scratch
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 1:00:06 PM

What is the name of the brand of the board and the model number
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 1:10:09 PM

There is a section in the bios where you can set what device the board boots from, in your case you want to set the dvd drive to number one in the list.
What you were looking at was the devices the bios found to be working right and plugged in.
m
l
November 20, 2010 1:15:34 PM

Yep, I did that and it didn't work.

What did work, was that I set EVERY boot device to be the CD/DVD drive, then it worked. Odd. I have a new error stating it can't read the system disk, but that may be because I burned the image file incorrectly (still getting used to my Mac).

I'm burning a new image as we speak and will be retrying shortly. I appreciate your help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 1:20:12 PM

No problem, glad i could help. :p 
m
l
!