dvi-i vs anolog output to drive crt monitor - quality

Well here is the deal.
I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .

I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
monitor.

THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
1dvi-i and 1 vga output.

THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.

Also Suggestions for card in 180-250 dollar range nvidia or otherwise.
Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about anolog output drive monitor quality

    steven wrote:

    > Well here is the deal.
    > I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
    > with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
    > home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
    > to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
    > rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
    > letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .
    >
    > I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
    > But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
    > monitor.
    >
    > THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
    > the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
    > in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
    > dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
    > 1dvi-i and 1 vga output.

    DVI-I has the exact same analog signals present as VGA. The adapter just
    carries the signal to the right pins. If youi google "dvi-i pinout" and
    "vga pinout" you'll find diagrams of both right quick.

    > THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
    > monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
    >
    > Also Suggestions for card in 180-250 dollar range nvidia or otherwise.
    > Thanks

    There are several dual-dvi GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range. If
    you're willing to sacrifice DirectX acceleration to get text quality, there
    are a couple of Matrox models as well.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:19:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >There are several dual-dvi GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range. If
    >you're willing to sacrifice DirectX acceleration to get text quality, there
    >are a couple of Matrox models as well.

    Is it right to assume the text quality would be the same when hooking
    up a dvi capable lcd monitor to the dvi-i output?
    Are you just refering to the text output on the anolog portion of the
    dvi-i connector when hooking up the Crt monitor to that?
    Thanks

    steven wrote:
    > THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
    > the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
    > in the dvi-i plug.

    It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal -
    the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.

    > Does the adapter convert the signal

    No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
    carried on seperate pins.

    > THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
    > monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.

    Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    wrote:

    >steven wrote:
    >> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
    >> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
    >> in the dvi-i plug.
    >
    >It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal -
    >the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
    >
    >> Does the adapter convert the signal
    >
    >No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
    >carried on seperate pins.
    >
    >> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
    >> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
    >
    >Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.

    Thanks for the help.
    So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    monitor cable.

    But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    dvi capable lcd monitor.

    Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

    Thoughts? Anyone test this?
    Bu

    steven wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> steven wrote:
    >>> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
    >>> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
    >>> in the dvi-i plug.
    >>
    >> It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA
    >> signal - the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
    >>
    >>> Does the adapter convert the signal
    >>
    >> No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part,
    >> is carried on seperate pins.
    >>
    >>> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
    >>> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
    >>
    >> Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    > So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    > the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    > is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    > an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    > monitor cable.

    Spot on.

    > But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    > high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    > connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    > for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    > dvi capable lcd monitor.
    > Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    > 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    > dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

    You're putting far too much thought into this !

    As long as you buy a decent branded card (Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS etc. etc.)
    then the analogue output will be just fine.

    "steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the help.
    > So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    > the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    > is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    > an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    > monitor cable.
    >
    > But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    > high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    > connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    > for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    > dvi capable lcd monitor.
    >
    > Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    > 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    > dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

    Nvidia normally have two RamDAC [channel].
    First channel - VGA
    2nd channel - DVI

    Let assumed you have two Digital Monitor.

    Signal Degrade
    VGA [anolog] port will need to convert from VGA card - Digital > Anolog >
    Anolog > Digitl > monitor
    No signal degrade
    DVI [digital] port. There no conversion. VGA card - Digital > Digital
    Monitor.

    Do you get the general idea?
    It better to have straight DVI without any conversion. So, if your monitor
    is digital and have DVI port, use it.

    CapFusion,....

    steven wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>steven wrote:
    >>> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
    >>> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
    >>> in the dvi-i plug.
    >>
    >>It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal
    >>- the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
    >>
    >>> Does the adapter convert the signal
    >>
    >>No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
    >>carried on seperate pins.
    >>
    >>> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
    >>> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
    >>
    >>Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    > So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    > the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    > is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    > an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    > monitor cable.
    >
    > But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    > high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    > connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    > for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    > dvi capable lcd monitor.

    Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
    workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
    function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
    engineering and manufacture that went into the board.

    > Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    > 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    > dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

    Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:50:04 -0700, "CapFusion"
    <CapeFussion...@hotmail.., com> wrote:

    >"steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the help.
    >> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    >> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    >> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    >> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    >> monitor cable.
    >>
    >> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    >> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    >> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    >> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    >> dvi capable lcd monitor.
    >>
    >> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    >> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    >> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
    >

    >Nvidia normally have two RamDAC [channel].
    >First channel - VGA
    >2nd channel - DVI
    >
    >Let assumed you have two Digital Monitor.
    >
    >Signal Degrade
    >VGA [anolog] port will need to convert from VGA card - Digital > Anolog >
    >Anolog > Digitl > monitor
    >No signal degrade
    >DVI [digital] port. There no conversion. VGA card - Digital > Digital
    >Monitor.
    >
    >Do you get the general idea?
    >It better to have straight DVI without any conversion. So, if your monitor
    >is digital and have DVI port, use it.
    >
    >CapFusion,....

    Thanks, yes I understand that. That is why I want 2 dvi-i outputs so
    I can eventually hook 2 dvi capable lcd monitor to the card. But
    right now I still have a good CRT monitor. So I want a card that has
    dual dvi-i ouputs but also transmits a very excellent vga signal
    throught the 4 exttra pins that a dvi-i ouput contains for that
    purpose.

    Who makes excellent analog vga signal on a dual dvi-i card?

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >steven wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    >> wrote:

    >>>It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal
    >>>- the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.

    >>>No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
    >>>carried on seperate pins.

    >>>Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.
    >> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    >> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    >> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    >> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    >> monitor cable.
    >>
    >> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    >> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    >> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    >> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    >> dvi capable lcd monitor.
    >
    >Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
    >workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
    >function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
    >engineering and manufacture that went into the board.
    >
    >> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    >> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    >> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
    >
    >Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.
    >
    >> Thoughts? Anyone test this?
    >> Bu

    Thanks.
    Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
    200-250 dollar price point?

    steven wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>steven wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the help.
    >>> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
    >>> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
    >>> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
    >>> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
    >>> monitor cable.
    >>>
    >>> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
    >>> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
    >>> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
    >>> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
    >>> dvi capable lcd monitor.
    >>
    >>Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
    >>workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
    >>function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
    >>engineering and manufacture that went into the board.
    >>
    >>> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
    >>> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
    >>> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
    >>
    >>Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.
    >>
    >>> Thoughts? Anyone test this?
    >>> Bu
    >

    > Thanks.
    > Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
    > 200-250 dollar price point?

    Matrox has excellent analog signal quality, however they also have no
    DirectX acceleration to speak of. In your price range you're going to have
    to make tradeoffs.

    --

    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
    > 200-250 dollar price point?

    For general purpose use, any make / model will fine.
    If you just plan on using the DVI port eventually, they just use a DVI to
    VGA conveter for the card with 2 DVI port. No need to spend extra $$$ for
    another card.

    CapFusion,...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    steven wrote:
    > Thanks.
    > Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
    > 200-250 dollar price point?

    Everybody !

    As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA output will
    be just fine.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:02:16 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    wrote:

    >steven wrote:
    >> Thanks.
    >> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
    >> 200-250 dollar price point?
    >
    >Everybody !
    >
    >As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA output will
    >be just fine.
    Well I posted this over in the alt.comp.periphs.videocars.ati newgroup
    and I got quite a different response from someone.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    steven wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:02:16 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> steven wrote:
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at
    >>> a 200-250 dollar price point?
    >>
    >> Everybody !
    >>
    >> As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA
    >> output will be just fine.
    >
    > Well I posted this over in the alt.comp.periphs.videocars.ati newgroup
    > and I got quite a different response from someone.

    Er, and ?

Nvidia DVI Monitors CRT Monitors Graphics