dvi-i vs anolog output to drive crt monitor - quality

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • CRT Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 20, 2004 1:25:36 AM

Well here is the deal.
I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .

I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
monitor.

THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
1dvi-i and 1 vga output.

THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.

Also Suggestions for card in 180-250 dollar range nvidia or otherwise.
Thanks

More about : dvi anolog output drive crt monitor quality

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2004 3:19:21 AM

steven wrote:

> Well here is the deal.
> I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
> with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
> home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
> to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
> rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
> letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .
>
> I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
> But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
> monitor.
>
> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
> in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
> dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
> 1dvi-i and 1 vga output.

DVI-I has the exact same analog signals present as VGA. The adapter just
carries the signal to the right pins. If youi google "dvi-i pinout" and
"vga pinout" you'll find diagrams of both right quick.

> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
>
> Also Suggestions for card in 180-250 dollar range nvidia or otherwise.
> Thanks

There are several dual-dvi GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range. If
you're willing to sacrifice DirectX acceleration to get text quality, there
are a couple of Matrox models as well.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:19:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>There are several dual-dvi GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range. If
>you're willing to sacrifice DirectX acceleration to get text quality, there
>are a couple of Matrox models as well.

Is it right to assume the text quality would be the same when hooking
up a dvi capable lcd monitor to the dvi-i output?
Are you just refering to the text output on the anolog portion of the
dvi-i connector when hooking up the Crt monitor to that?
Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 20, 2004 12:56:03 PM

steven wrote:
> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
> in the dvi-i plug.

It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal -
the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.

> Does the adapter convert the signal

No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
carried on seperate pins.

> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.

Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
July 21, 2004 4:14:52 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
wrote:

>steven wrote:
>> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
>> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
>> in the dvi-i plug.
>
>It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal -
>the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
>
>> Does the adapter convert the signal
>
>No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
>carried on seperate pins.
>
>> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
>> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
>
>Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.

Thanks for the help.
So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
monitor cable.

But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
dvi capable lcd monitor.

Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

Thoughts? Anyone test this?
Bu
July 21, 2004 12:44:08 PM

steven wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
> wrote:
>
>> steven wrote:
>>> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
>>> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
>>> in the dvi-i plug.
>>
>> It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA
>> signal - the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
>>
>>> Does the adapter convert the signal
>>
>> No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part,
>> is carried on seperate pins.
>>
>>> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
>>> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
>>
>> Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
> monitor cable.

Spot on.

> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
> dvi capable lcd monitor.
> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

You're putting far too much thought into this !

As long as you buy a decent branded card (Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS etc. etc.)
then the analogue output will be just fine.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2004 4:50:04 PM

"steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the help.
> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
> monitor cable.
>
> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
> dvi capable lcd monitor.
>
> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

Nvidia normally have two RamDAC [channel].
First channel - VGA
2nd channel - DVI

Let assumed you have two Digital Monitor.

Signal Degrade
VGA [anolog] port will need to convert from VGA card - Digital > Anolog >
Anolog > Digitl > monitor
No signal degrade
DVI [digital] port. There no conversion. VGA card - Digital > Digital
Monitor.

Do you get the general idea?
It better to have straight DVI without any conversion. So, if your monitor
is digital and have DVI port, use it.

CapFusion,....
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 22, 2004 4:49:07 AM

steven wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
> wrote:
>
>>steven wrote:
>>> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
>>> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
>>> in the dvi-i plug.
>>
>>It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal
>>- the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.
>>
>>> Does the adapter convert the signal
>>
>>No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
>>carried on seperate pins.
>>
>>> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
>>> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
>>
>>Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
> monitor cable.
>
> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
> dvi capable lcd monitor.

Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
engineering and manufacture that went into the board.

> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.

Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 23, 2004 12:28:31 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:50:04 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapeFussion...@hotmail.., com> wrote:

>"steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the help.
>> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
>> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
>> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
>> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
>> monitor cable.
>>
>> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
>> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
>> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
>> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
>> dvi capable lcd monitor.
>>
>> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
>> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
>> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
>

>Nvidia normally have two RamDAC [channel].
>First channel - VGA
>2nd channel - DVI
>
>Let assumed you have two Digital Monitor.
>
>Signal Degrade
>VGA [anolog] port will need to convert from VGA card - Digital > Anolog >
>Anolog > Digitl > monitor
>No signal degrade
>DVI [digital] port. There no conversion. VGA card - Digital > Digital
>Monitor.
>
>Do you get the general idea?
>It better to have straight DVI without any conversion. So, if your monitor
>is digital and have DVI port, use it.
>
>CapFusion,....

Thanks, yes I understand that. That is why I want 2 dvi-i outputs so
I can eventually hook 2 dvi capable lcd monitor to the card. But
right now I still have a good CRT monitor. So I want a card that has
dual dvi-i ouputs but also transmits a very excellent vga signal
throught the 4 exttra pins that a dvi-i ouput contains for that
purpose.

Who makes excellent analog vga signal on a dual dvi-i card?
July 23, 2004 12:29:27 AM

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>steven wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:03 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
>> wrote:

>>>It will look exactly the same. The DVI socket contains a normal VGA signal
>>>- the adaptor simply makes the connection fit.

>>>No need - it's already a standard VGA signal. The digital DVI part, is
>>>carried on seperate pins.

>>>Be sure to buy a card with dual DVI outputs.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
>> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
>> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
>> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
>> monitor cable.
>>
>> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
>> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
>> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
>> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
>> dvi capable lcd monitor.
>
>Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
>workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
>function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
>engineering and manufacture that went into the board.
>
>> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
>> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
>> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
>
>Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.
>
>> Thoughts? Anyone test this?
>> Bu

Thanks.
Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
200-250 dollar price point?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 23, 2004 12:56:59 AM

steven wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>steven wrote:

>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> So the quality of the anolog ouput , is a function of that produced by
>>> the quality of the card's production of analog, and not the fact there
>>> is a dvi-i connector in the way of getting it to the crt monitor via
>>> an adaptor that just gets the 4 pins correctly spaced to the crt
>>> monitor cable.
>>>
>>> But this does not mean that a graphics card with 2 dvi-i will have as
>>> high a quality analog signal as a card that has 1 dvi-i and 1 vga
>>> connector. In fact less good parts could be present on the video card
>>> for that analog signal, because they may assume it will get hooked to
>>> dvi capable lcd monitor.
>>
>>Or more good parts because it's intended for use in an engineering
>>workstation. Bottom line is that the analog video quality is not a
>>function of the type of connector used, it's a function of the quality of
>>engineering and manufacture that went into the board.
>>
>>> Also , why should one assume that a video card with 1 dvi-i ouput and
>>> 1 vga output will port as high a quality analog signal throught the
>>> dvi-i output terminal versus the vidoe card's vga output terminal.
>>
>>Ockham's Razor. Assume the simplest hypothesis until proven otherwise.
>>
>>> Thoughts? Anyone test this?
>>> Bu
>

> Thanks.
> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
> 200-250 dollar price point?

Matrox has excellent analog signal quality, however they also have no
DirectX acceleration to speak of. In your price range you're going to have
to make tradeoffs.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 23, 2004 3:42:25 PM

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:49:07 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
> 200-250 dollar price point?

For general purpose use, any make / model will fine.
If you just plan on using the DVI port eventually, they just use a DVI to
VGA conveter for the card with 2 DVI port. No need to spend extra $$$ for
another card.

CapFusion,...
July 27, 2004 1:02:16 PM

steven wrote:
> Thanks.
> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
> 200-250 dollar price point?

Everybody !

As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA output will
be just fine.
July 27, 2004 6:39:12 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:02:16 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
wrote:

>steven wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at a
>> 200-250 dollar price point?
>
>Everybody !
>
>As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA output will
>be just fine.
Well I posted this over in the alt.comp.periphs.videocars.ati newgroup
and I got quite a different response from someone.
July 28, 2004 12:41:32 PM

steven wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:02:16 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
> wrote:
>
>> steven wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>> Wonder who makes excellent vga signal in a dual dvi-i ouput card at
>>> a 200-250 dollar price point?
>>
>> Everybody !
>>
>> As I've already said, stick to a known-brand card, and the VGA
>> output will be just fine.
>
> Well I posted this over in the alt.comp.periphs.videocars.ati newgroup
> and I got quite a different response from someone.

Er, and ?
!