AGP aperture, what's myth, what's fact?

I've seen so many conflicting things about what size to set your system's
AGP aperture to, is there a hard and fast rule where you can calculate the
best setting based on your system/video memory, or is it really a case of
trial and error for different systems? I've had mine set at 64mb for a long
time and wondering if I should mess with it.

thanks for any info, the only good article I could find on this was 2 years
old, and only dealt with 64 and 32 mb cards.

There really isn't any rule now. There use to be when most video cards had
under 32 Megs.
Now it really doesn't make a difference what you set it to if your video card
has 128 or higher.

A setting of 64 megs is fine.

"+c0re-" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've seen so many conflicting things about what size to set your system's
> AGP aperture to, is there a hard and fast rule where you can calculate the
> best setting based on your system/video memory, or is it really a case of
> trial and error for different systems? I've had mine set at 64mb for a
> long
> time and wondering if I should mess with it.
>
> thanks for any info, the only good article I could find on this was 2
> years
> old, and only dealt with 64 and 32 mb cards.

A 128/256 meg card, set AGP aperature size to 64.

+c0re- left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I've seen so many conflicting things about what size to set your system's
> AGP aperture to, is there a hard and fast rule where you can calculate the
> best setting based on your system/video memory, or is it really a case of
> trial and error for different systems? I've had mine set at 64mb for a long
> time and wondering if I should mess with it.
>
> thanks for any info, the only good article I could find on this was 2 years
> old, and only dealt with 64 and 32 mb cards.

AGP Arpeture size is the amount of *system* RAM you have specified the
card can use if it runs out of memory.

So the more memory your card has, the lower this setting need be. In
the days of 16 and 32MB cards this was more important since the cards
didn'e have all that much RAM. But now we are up to 256MB and 128MB is
very common there really isn't much need to assign them any system RAM
to use.

Having said that, apparently it's not recommended you set this to 0.
I'm not sure why but there you go.

For real world use just set this on 64MB and leave it as it. You won't
find any performance differences using different settings.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

> Having said that, apparently it's not recommended you set this to 0.
> I'm not sure why but there you go.
>
> For real world use just set this on 64MB and leave it as it. You won't
> find any performance differences using different settings.

You do not want to set to "0" is to have it cache from your HD. You never
know when the VGA card ran out of space and needed to spill over.

64 should normally be ok.

CapFusion,...

Fish

I though it was twice the amount of ram on your video card.

64mb video card, 128mb aperture
128mb video card, 256mb aperture.

"+c0re-" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've seen so many conflicting things about what size to set your system's
> AGP aperture to, is there a hard and fast rule where you can calculate the
> best setting based on your system/video memory, or is it really a case of
> trial and error for different systems? I've had mine set at 64mb for a
long
> time and wondering if I should mess with it.
>
> thanks for any info, the only good article I could find on this was 2
years
> old, and only dealt with 64 and 32 mb cards.

>I though it was twice the amount of ram on your video card.
>
>64mb video card, 128mb aperture
>128mb video card, 256mb aperture.

No, it use to be around half of what your system ram was but that was when
graphic cards didn't have much memory.

You can really set it to whatever you want it won't hurt anything, but won't
help anything either.

If your card has 64 and your system ram is 256 then 128 might be a good
setting.

If you have 128 or higher 64 megs is fine.

fish wrote:
> I though it was twice the amount of ram on your video card.
>
> 64mb video card, 128mb aperture
> 128mb video card, 256mb aperture.

I also heard either the same as your video card unless that figure is more
than 1/4 of your RAM in which case set it to 1/4 of your RAM.

ie;
128 card / 512 ram - 128 AGP arpeture
64 card / 512 ram - 128 AGP arpeture
256 card / 512 ram - 128 AGP arpeture
128 card / 1gig ram - 256 AGP arpeture etc

Matt
--
Collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/GLYTCH_2K4
MSN: GLYTCH_2K4(at)msn.com

fish left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I though it was twice the amount of ram on your video card.
>
> 64mb video card, 128mb aperture
> 128mb video card, 256mb aperture.

If anything, the inverse is true. The more RAM on the video card, the
less required as an arpeture size.

In the same way a pagefile or swapfile will be used when you have
insufficient system RAM - the arpeture size is the amount used from
system RAM when your gfx card runs out of video RAM.

In the same way you can reduce your pagefile size the more system RAM
you have, you can reduce the arpeture size.

As has been said before on this thread, with cards now commonly coming
equippe with 128MB and more the arpeture size is mostly insignificant.
Most people will just want to set it to 64MB and be done with it.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

>Most people will just want to set it to 64MB and be done with it.

yes, or set it to anything you want it won't make a difference you can notice.

Thanks for all the replies, I had heard it should be 1.5 times your video
ram, but now I have a 256mb card that seems a bit ridiculous. I did test
this ages ago with an old system/old card and it was a touch faster with a
lower aperture, I may well do the same now to satisfy my own curiosity