SpeedDisk vs. Diskeeper

I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.

I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
the GUI.

So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
pregnant woman… Either it is or it ain’t! So why does Diskeeper and
SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
actually knows in the first place.

Thanks in advance & Regards,
17 answers Last reply
More about speeddisk diskeeper

    For whatever it might be worth I normally run the defragmenter that came
    with WindowsXP and Norton agrees that the resulting drive is 100% defragged.
    Who knows?
    (The WinXP version runs about 3 times as fast as the Norton version ergo I
    use it.)

    ".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    > some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    > suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    > fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >
    > I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    > what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    > that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    > the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    > can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    > fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    > SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    > fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    > has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    > Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    > that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    > the GUI.
    >
    > So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    > fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    > pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    > SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    > one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    > actually knows in the first place.
    >
    > Thanks in advance & Regards,

    Just one quick note: There is a difference between "defragmenting" and
    "compacting." Norton compacts the disk while it is defragmenting. That is
    why Norton seems to, actually, does, take longer than Diskeeper. Diskeeper
    defragments the files but does not move them to one end of the disk, i.e.,
    compact them.

    I have used both Diskeeper 8 and 9 and Norton SpeedDisk. I like each for
    what it does. Why you have the discrepancy, I cannot answer. I mostly use
    Diskeeper because I like its "Set it and Forget it" option of defragging.
    But when I want the HD completely "defragged" and have the time, I call
    upon Norton's SpeedDisk to compact and defrag.

    Regards,

    Turner

    ".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    > some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    > suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    > fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >
    > I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    > what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    > that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    > the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    > can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    > fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    > SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    > fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    > has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    > Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    > that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    > the GUI.
    >
    > So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    > fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    > pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    > SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    > one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    > actually knows in the first place.
    >
    > Thanks in advance & Regards,

    The Windows XP defragger, a crippled Diskeeper in poor disguise, is truly
    crippled though. A real defragger shoves all the files to one end of the hard
    drive to speed up disk accesses further. The Windows XP defragger apparently
    does defragment most of the files though, altho you can never tell with
    Micro$oft. Files in use by the system cannot be defragmented, so boot in safe
    mode for a better defragging experience. Sysutils has a free page file
    defragger on its web site, to take care of page file defragmentation... Ben
    Myers

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:14 -0700, "Tom Clydesdale"
    <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

    >For whatever it might be worth I normally run the defragmenter that came
    >with WindowsXP and Norton agrees that the resulting drive is 100% defragged.
    >Who knows?
    >(The WinXP version runs about 3 times as fast as the Norton version ergo I
    >use it.)
    >
    >".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >>I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    >> some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    >> suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    >> fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >>
    >> I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    >> what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    >> that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    >> the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    >> can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    >> fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    >> SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    >> fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    >> has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    >> Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    >> that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    >> the GUI.
    >>
    >> So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    >> fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    >> pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    >> SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    >> one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    >> actually knows in the first place.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance & Regards,

    Ben is right. The MSFT defrag is a crippled Diskeeper. Personally, I ahve
    not used verion 9.0, but I have used v. 7 and 8. On my kids PC, which is
    Win98 and hence Fat 32, I use Norton. For my XP and Win2K boxes, I use
    Diskeeper (love their boot-time defrag). In short, Norton seems to do a
    better job on Fat 32 partitions, while Diskeeper is the choice for NTFS
    partitions. I've also heard good things about Raxco's PerfectDisk, but I
    have never tired it. I believe that they offer a free trial as well.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew
    Milford, Delaware

    ".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    > some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    > suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    > fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >
    > I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    > what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    > that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    > the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    > can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    > fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    > SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    > fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    > has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    > Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    > that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    > the GUI.
    >
    > So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    > fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    > pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    > SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    > one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    > actually knows in the first place.
    >
    > Thanks in advance & Regards,

    Way back when, in the dark prehistoric days of DOS, all the competing disk
    defraggers (Norton, PC Tools and others) compacted and defragged. This has
    created the expectation in my own mind and in the minds of others that a good
    thorough defragging including compacting the hard drive. Some of the old
    defraggers even got really scientific with little real effect, allowing you to
    sort folders, place EXE and COM files at the beginning of a folder, etc etc.

    The Microsoft-licensed Diskeeper shipped as part of Windows 2000 does both
    defragging and compacting of files. I'll bet that Diskeeper sales fell through
    the floor when Windows 2000 came out, so Executive Software undoubtedly made a
    deal with Microsoft to include the cripped version with XPee... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:17:37 -0500, "Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Just one quick note: There is a difference between "defragmenting" and
    >"compacting." Norton compacts the disk while it is defragmenting. That is
    >why Norton seems to, actually, does, take longer than Diskeeper. Diskeeper
    >defragments the files but does not move them to one end of the disk, i.e.,
    >compact them.
    >
    >I have used both Diskeeper 8 and 9 and Norton SpeedDisk. I like each for
    >what it does. Why you have the discrepancy, I cannot answer. I mostly use
    >Diskeeper because I like its "Set it and Forget it" option of defragging.
    >But when I want the HD completely "defragged" and have the time, I call
    >upon Norton's SpeedDisk to compact and defrag.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    > Turner
    >

    >".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >>I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    >> some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    >> suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    >> fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >>
    >> I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    >> what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    >> that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    >> the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    >> can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    >> fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    >> SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    >> fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    >> has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    >> Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    >> that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    >> the GUI.
    >>
    >> So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    >> fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    >> pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    >> SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    >> one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    >> actually knows in the first place.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance & Regards,

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:17:37 -0500, "Turner Morgan"
    <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Norton compacts the disk while it is defragmenting.
    >Diskeeper defragments the files but does not move them to one end of the
    >disk, i.e., compact them.

    Okay, I see where you are coming from. Well, it seems to me that if
    you defrag but don't compact then you will fragment back up a lot
    faster because of all those "Holes" left behind by not compressing.
    In other words, you add a bunch of new files, they will start filling
    up the holes left behind, thus those new files being fragmented from
    the very first.

    >Why you have the discrepancy, I cannot answer.

    Well, according to what you said above, I guess the discrepancy is not
    so much that they disagree on the amount of fragmentation but that
    they disagree on the amount of free space in the middle of all those
    used spaces left behind (one compressing and the other not).

    Again, if all this is true, I don't see the need to defragment if you
    are not going to compress and get all those holes filled up. All you
    are doing is leaving holes for everything to fragment into more
    quickly than you would without those holes.

    Am I looking at this right?

    Regards,

    "We have no intention of shipping another bloated OS and shoving it
    down the throats of our users." -- Paul Maritz, Microsoft group vice
    president
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    You've got it almost 100% right. Yes, the drive fragments up faster with all
    the holes of unused disk space. Yes, it is still worth defragging, because
    individual programs and files will load faster from the hard drive compared to
    their fragmented state.

    I might just try installing the real defragger in Windows 2000 on an XP system
    for kicks, just to see what happens... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:18:44 GMT, ".@." <.@.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:17:37 -0500, "Turner Morgan"
    ><wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Norton compacts the disk while it is defragmenting.
    >>Diskeeper defragments the files but does not move them to one end of the
    >>disk, i.e., compact them.
    >
    >Okay, I see where you are coming from. Well, it seems to me that if
    >you defrag but don't compact then you will fragment back up a lot
    >faster because of all those "Holes" left behind by not compressing.
    >In other words, you add a bunch of new files, they will start filling
    >up the holes left behind, thus those new files being fragmented from
    >the very first.
    >
    >>Why you have the discrepancy, I cannot answer.
    >
    >Well, according to what you said above, I guess the discrepancy is not
    >so much that they disagree on the amount of fragmentation but that
    >they disagree on the amount of free space in the middle of all those
    >used spaces left behind (one compressing and the other not).
    >
    >Again, if all this is true, I don't see the need to defragment if you
    >are not going to compress and get all those holes filled up. All you
    >are doing is leaving holes for everything to fragment into more
    >quickly than you would without those holes.
    >
    >Am I looking at this right?
    >
    >Regards,
    >

    >"We have no intention of shipping another bloated OS and shoving it
    >down the throats of our users." -- Paul Maritz, Microsoft group vice
    >president

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:03:02 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Yes, the drive fragments up faster with all
    >the holes of unused disk space.

    With that said, Norton's Speedisk which compresses along with its
    defragmenting is the better choice over Diskeeper which only
    defragments.

    I will be removing Diskeeper from my system and staying with the
    Norton for now or until something better comes along. One of the
    reasons I was checking other stuff out was because Speedisk takes so
    long, even on my 2g speed system. However, the reason it takes so
    long was also pointed out to me as being the reason of going the extra
    mile and compressing along with defragmenting.

    BTW, I am using the speedisk that comes with an older version of
    Norton Tools, the 2002 release. It ran real quickly on my older FAT32
    systems but since moving to NTFS systems with XP, it has really turned
    into a slug. Could another reason for the slowness be that
    defragmentation and compressing are done differently on NTFS systems
    thus the need to goto a newer version of speedisk?

    Regards,

    "There won't be anything we won't say to people to try and convince
    them that our way is the way to go." -- Bill Gates
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > I will be removing Diskeeper from my system and staying with the
    > Norton for now or until something better comes along. One of the
    > reasons I was checking other stuff out was because Speedisk takes so
    > long, even on my 2g speed system. However, the reason it takes so
    > long was also pointed out to me as being the reason of going the extra
    > mile and compressing along with defragmenting.

    I should point out that there is a slight disadvantage to Norton's
    compacting. And that is, depending on cluster size (or is it sector size?)
    of the disk, when you have to add data to a file that might result in the
    new data being added to the end of the "compact" area of the disk, that is,
    far away from the parent file. With DiskKeeper's leaving holes between
    "compact" areas, the new data could get placed closer to the parent file.
    Hence, you could suffer a performance hit, i.e., slower access time to read
    all the file's data, with Norton's method. Also, the next time you defrag
    and compact with Norton, all those intervening files have to be moved
    further "down" the disk to make room for the fragments of new data to be
    added to the parent file. With the DiskKeeper method, there may be an empty
    space closer to the parent file which would result in faster access to all
    the file's pieces plus faster defragmenting because not so many files would
    have to be moved to append the new data to the parent file. Confused?

    > BTW, I am using the speedisk that comes with an older version of
    > Norton Tools, the 2002 release. It ran real quickly on my older FAT32
    > systems but since moving to NTFS systems with XP, it has really turned
    > into a slug. Could another reason for the slowness be that
    > defragmentation and compressing are done differently on NTFS systems
    > thus the need to goto a newer version of speedisk?

    I can't really comment on this. I'm not terribly familiar with the
    differences between FAT32 and NTFS. If just read that NTFS is "better" than
    FAT32. And, by the way, most of what I said above applies to FAT32; I
    assume it works for NTFS also. Maybe Ben could help out here?

    I just know that I have SystemWorks 2005 and when I have Speedisk defrag and
    compact the 120Gb drive in my 700XL (only about 1/3 used) I just go into the
    hamshack, fire up the transceiver and make a few contacts because I know
    Speedisk is going to take some time, usually >1.5 hours, to finish the job.
    It couldn't hurt to do the upgrade, but I'm not sure that Symantec made all
    that many changes or improvements between the 2004 and 2005 versions. So,
    if you can find a copy of SystemWorks 2004 around (the local Staples had the
    2004 version still on the shelf just before Christmas), you might save a few
    bucks over the 2005 version.

    Regards,
    Turner
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Placement of files on the hard drive is why the developers of the early
    defraggers became obsessive about the number of options offered by their
    products. They thought people wanted to fine-tune the data on their hard
    drives, a carryover from the more static hard drive layouts on old mainframes.

    The reality is that the Windows environment, with all its glorious complexity,
    is 1000% more dynamic in its use of the hard drive. This is a good reason not
    to be very obsessive about whether a file gets placed in a "hole" between other
    files or tacked onto the free space immediately after the last file on the
    drive. Nevertheless, it troubles me to see huge gaping holes resulting from
    files being splattered all over the drive, because I know damned well that the
    disk heads dance back and forth across longer distances to access data across
    the entire drive. If the files are all shoved down at one end of the hard
    drive, the average hard drive seek times are reduced quite a bit, and the system
    goes a little faster.

    The best answer? Hey, keep speedisk and diskeeper both on the hard drive. They
    don't take up much space. Run speeddisk once in a while to slide all the files
    to one end of the hard drive. Run diskeeper to do a quick and dirty defrag.

    For the purposes of 99.9% of us, it is not worth even trying to use some sort of
    instrumentation to see which provides the best result. Software instrumentation
    contaminates the results. Hardware instrumentation is too expensive for all but
    the hard drive design labs. And Windows does not lend itself to repeatability
    of closely controlled tests... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:19:11 -0500, "Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >> I will be removing Diskeeper from my system and staying with the
    >> Norton for now or until something better comes along. One of the
    >> reasons I was checking other stuff out was because Speedisk takes so
    >> long, even on my 2g speed system. However, the reason it takes so
    >> long was also pointed out to me as being the reason of going the extra
    >> mile and compressing along with defragmenting.
    >>
    >I should point out that there is a slight disadvantage to Norton's
    >compacting. And that is, depending on cluster size (or is it sector size?)
    >of the disk, when you have to add data to a file that might result in the
    >new data being added to the end of the "compact" area of the disk, that is,
    >far away from the parent file. With DiskKeeper's leaving holes between
    >"compact" areas, the new data could get placed closer to the parent file.
    >Hence, you could suffer a performance hit, i.e., slower access time to read
    >all the file's data, with Norton's method. Also, the next time you defrag
    >and compact with Norton, all those intervening files have to be moved
    >further "down" the disk to make room for the fragments of new data to be
    >added to the parent file. With the DiskKeeper method, there may be an empty
    >space closer to the parent file which would result in faster access to all
    >the file's pieces plus faster defragmenting because not so many files would
    >have to be moved to append the new data to the parent file. Confused?
    >
    >> BTW, I am using the speedisk that comes with an older version of
    >> Norton Tools, the 2002 release. It ran real quickly on my older FAT32
    >> systems but since moving to NTFS systems with XP, it has really turned
    >> into a slug. Could another reason for the slowness be that
    >> defragmentation and compressing are done differently on NTFS systems
    >> thus the need to goto a newer version of speedisk?
    >>
    >I can't really comment on this. I'm not terribly familiar with the
    >differences between FAT32 and NTFS. If just read that NTFS is "better" than
    >FAT32. And, by the way, most of what I said above applies to FAT32; I
    >assume it works for NTFS also. Maybe Ben could help out here?
    >
    >I just know that I have SystemWorks 2005 and when I have Speedisk defrag and
    >compact the 120Gb drive in my 700XL (only about 1/3 used) I just go into the
    >hamshack, fire up the transceiver and make a few contacts because I know
    >Speedisk is going to take some time, usually >1.5 hours, to finish the job.
    >It couldn't hurt to do the upgrade, but I'm not sure that Symantec made all
    >that many changes or improvements between the 2004 and 2005 versions. So,
    >if you can find a copy of SystemWorks 2004 around (the local Staples had the
    >2004 version still on the shelf just before Christmas), you might save a few
    >bucks over the 2005 version.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Turner

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > For the purposes of 99.9% of us, it is not worth even trying to use
    some sort of
    > instrumentation to see which provides the best result. Software
    instrumentation
    > contaminates the results. ...

    Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies to computers also. :)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > The Windows XP defragger, a crippled Diskeeper in poor disguise, is truly
    > crippled though. A real defragger shoves all the files to one end of the hard
    > drive to speed up disk accesses further. The Windows XP defragger apparently
    > does defragment most of the files though, altho you can never tell with
    > Micro$oft. Files in use by the system cannot be defragmented, so boot in safe
    > mode for a better defragging experience. Sysutils has a free page file
    > defragger on its web site, to take care of page file defragmentation... Ben
    > Myers

    ben can you please post a link to the page file defragmenter. i have bee
    looking on sysutils and have not been able to find it.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:14 -0700, "Tom Clydesdale"
    > <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>For whatever it might be worth I normally run the defragmenter that came
    >>with WindowsXP and Norton agrees that the resulting drive is 100% defragged.
    >>Who knows?
    >>(The WinXP version runs about 3 times as fast as the Norton version ergo I
    >>use it.)
    >>
    >>".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have been using Norton SpeedDisk v6.03.36a to defragment my HD for
    >>>some time now and have been mostly satisfied with it. Taking the
    >>>suggestion to give Executive Software Diskeeper v9.0.515 a try for
    >>>fragmenting my HD, I installed it for a test run.
    >>>
    >>>I found out that both Norton SpeedDisk and Diskeeper do not agree on
    >>>what a defragmented HD is. Example: I run SpeedDisk and it tells me
    >>>that I am defragmented and I let it take the time it needs to defrag
    >>>the HD. It has a GUI that shows via colors the fragmentation and you
    >>>can see the files being moved and the colors starting to line up, thus
    >>>fragmentation being taken care of. I then run Diskeeper right after
    >>>SpeedDisk has finished defragging the HD and it says that I am 30%-40%
    >>>fragmented and I let it take the time to defragment the HD. It also
    >>>has a GUI that lets me see what is going on. Right after letting
    >>>Diskeeper finish doing its thing, I run SpeedDisk again and it says
    >>>that I am fragmented all to hell and shows me the fragmentation via
    >>>the GUI.
    >>>
    >>>So, both programs seem to have a different opinion as to the
    >>>fragmentation of the HD. Looks to me that a fragmented HD is like a
    >>>pregnant woman. Either it is or it ain't! So why does Diskeeper and
    >>>SpeedDisk seem to have a problem agreeing on if it is or not and which
    >>>one is telling the truth and which on is telling a lie if either one
    >>>actually knows in the first place.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance & Regards,

  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Found via google with the search argument "defragment page file", without the
    quotes:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:20:02 GMT, bob brozewicz
    <brozewicz.rf_nospam_@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> The Windows XP defragger, a crippled Diskeeper in poor disguise, is truly
    >> crippled though. A real defragger shoves all the files to one end of the hard
    >> drive to speed up disk accesses further. The Windows XP defragger apparently
    >> does defragment most of the files though, altho you can never tell with
    >> Micro$oft. Files in use by the system cannot be defragmented, so boot in safe
    >> mode for a better defragging experience. Sysutils has a free page file
    >> defragger on its web site, to take care of page file defragmentation... Ben
    >> Myers
    >
    >ben can you please post a link to the page file defragmenter. i have bee
    >looking on sysutils and have not been able to find it.
    >
    >any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:14 -0700, "Tom Clydesdale"
    >> <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>For whatever it might be worth I normally run the defragmenter that came
    >>>with WindowsXP and Norton agrees that the resulting drive is 100% defragged.
    >>>Who knows?
    >>>(The WinXP version runs about 3 times as fast as the Norton version ergo I
    >>>use it.)
    >>>
    >>>".@." <.@.net> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Found via google with the search argument "defragment page file", without the
    > quotes:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    after i ask i did uses google and found it on sysinternals and not sysutils.

    thanks

    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:20:02 GMT, bob brozewicz
    > <brozewicz.rf_nospam_@verizon.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Windows XP defragger, a crippled Diskeeper in poor disguise, is truly
    >>>crippled though. A real defragger shoves all the files to one end of the hard
    >>>drive to speed up disk accesses further. The Windows XP defragger apparently
    >>>does defragment most of the files though, altho you can never tell with
    >>>Micro$oft. Files in use by the system cannot be defragmented, so boot in safe
    >>>mode for a better defragging experience. Sysutils has a free page file
    >>>defragger on its web site, to take care of page file defragmentation... Ben
    >>>Myers
    >>
    >>ben can you please post a link to the page file defragmenter. i have bee
    >>looking on sysutils and have not been able to find it.
    >>
    >>any help would be greatly appreciated.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Sorry. In my haste to post a response and move on to other things, the names of
    sometimes get scrambled up in my head. Main thing is you found it, and it
    works... Ben

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:30:58 GMT, bob brozewicz
    <brozewicz.rf_nospam_@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Found via google with the search argument "defragment page file", without the
    >> quotes:
    >>
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >after i ask i did uses google and found it on sysinternals and not sysutils.
    >
    >thanks
    >>
    >> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:20:02 GMT, bob brozewicz
    >> <brozewicz.rf_nospam_@verizon.net> wrote:

    >>>ben can you please post a link to the page file defragmenter. i have bee
    >>>looking on sysutils and have not been able to find it.
    >>>
    >>>any help would be greatly appreciated.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    sorry to top post....

    btw do you happen to be the same ben myers that help me upgrade my kids
    compaq 5000 pc before xmas. if you remember, i had a ton of questions.

    if you are he, i really appreciated all your help, the upgrade went off
    with little problems. my kids were happy as could be with the upgrade.

    i hate to say it, they have a FASTER machine than mine now.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Sorry. In my haste to post a response and move on to other things, the names of
    > sometimes get scrambled up in my head. Main thing is you found it, and it
    > works... Ben
    >
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:30:58 GMT, bob brozewicz
    > <brozewicz.rf_nospam_@verizon.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >>>Found via google with the search argument "defragment page file", without the
    >>>quotes:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml
    >>>
    >>>... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>after i ask i did uses google and found it on sysinternals and not sysutils.
    >>
    >>thanks

  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Must have been me. I seem to be the only Ben Myers posting in the computer
    newsgroups. There are clones of myself who are English journalists/authors,
    experts on beer, and who knows what else. Glad it worked out for you... Ben

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:47:45 GMT, bob brozewicz

Gateway Norton HD Computers