Creative Annihilator 2 card--are the newer Nvidia drivers ..

A question regarding drivers and card compatibility...

I'm running Win 98 SE with an Annihilator 2 (Creative Labs) on a
home-built box, AMD 700 on the board. Yeah, the set-up is aging but
still working well, and finances haven't allowed for a major upgrade
yet. BIOS is set to optimum for this particular card, which is
considered a GeForce IIRC.

I like to play older games, such as Drakan, the Myst trilogy, and
others, and I've found that 53.04 drivers and up don't seem to make as
nice with such games as the 45.23's. However, I've read that others
have no problems running the newer drivers with even older cards, like
the TNT series, so I was wondering if anyone had read/discovered what
component within the drivers above 45.23 seems to cause problems for
some older cards and not others.

All replies and feedback appreciated --
--
/\ /\ | "Thousands of years ago, cats were
^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | worshipped as gods. Cats have

"D. K. Kraft" <cat@eskimo.com> wrote in message
> A question regarding drivers and card compatibility...
>
> I'm running Win 98 SE with an Annihilator 2 (Creative Labs) on a
> home-built box, AMD 700 on the board. Yeah, the set-up is aging but
> still working well, and finances haven't allowed for a major upgrade
> yet. BIOS is set to optimum for this particular card, which is
> considered a GeForce IIRC.
>
> I like to play older games, such as Drakan, the Myst trilogy, and
> others, and I've found that 53.04 drivers and up don't seem to make as
> nice with such games as the 45.23's. However, I've read that others
> have no problems running the newer drivers with even older cards, like
> the TNT series, so I was wondering if anyone had read/discovered what
> component within the drivers above 45.23 seems to cause problems for
> some older cards and not others.

The ONLY reason to upgrade drivers for older cards is to allow using newer
version of DirectX, or to make allowances for new games since occasional
fixes exist for specific new games.

If you are playing older games, and not running the newest DirectX, which
isnt needed unless you are trying to use something new, it is pointless to
keep upgrading drivers for old cards.

TRENDING THREADS