Upgrade/Replacement Question.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'm not looking to upgrade and I'm REAL short on funds. However, I want to
free up a PCI slot by removing my ATI TV tuner card and getting in
integrated into the video card. I currently have a 128mb GeForce4 Ti 4800
SE ( 8X AGP ). It's not state of the art, but it does everything I need it
to do and quite nicely.

Which AIW card ( 9500-9800 Pro? ) would be fairly equivalent to my current
card? I see a few AIW's for sale on eBay, I'm just not sure which one I
should be looking for. I need to keep my expenditures to a minimum, but
don't want to take a step backwards in technology just for the free slot.

FWIW, my system specs are:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1 Gb RAM (3200)
128mb GF4 Ti 4800 SE
WinXP Pro

--
I am not running for office and I approve of this message.

"Chuck" <sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote in message
> I'm not looking to upgrade and I'm REAL short on funds. However, I want
> free up a PCI slot by removing my ATI TV tuner card and getting in
> integrated into the video card. I currently have a 128mb GeForce4 Ti 4800
> SE ( 8X AGP ). It's not state of the art, but it does everything I need
it
> to do and quite nicely.
>
> Which AIW card ( 9500-9800 Pro? ) would be fairly equivalent to my current
> card? I see a few AIW's for sale on eBay, I'm just not sure which one I
> should be looking for. I need to keep my expenditures to a minimum, but
> don't want to take a step backwards in technology just for the free slot.
>
> FWIW, my system specs are:
>
> Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
> AMD Athlon XP 2700+
> 1 Gb RAM (3200)
> 128mb GF4 Ti 4800 SE
> WinXP Pro
>
> --
> I am not running for office and I approve of this message.

Not even a nibble.

Can anyone tell me where I can find out which AIW is comparable to my card?

Chuck wrote:
> "Chuck" <sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not looking to upgrade and I'm REAL short on funds. However, I want
>> to free up a PCI slot by removing my ATI TV tuner card and getting in
>> integrated into the video card. I currently have a 128mb GeForce4 Ti
>> 4800 SE ( 8X AGP ). It's not state of the art, but it does everything I
>
> Can anyone tell me where I can find out which AIW is comparable to my
> card?

It's a difficult one. There are people that say the Ti4800 is faster than a
9800 Pro, but they're not looking at the big picture. If 300fps in Quake3
without AA or AF is more important to you than Pixel Shader support then the
9800 Pro is "comparable" in terms of FPS.

If you want to be able to play recent (Pixel Shader style) games at a
reasonable rate then a 9600 Pro (AIW) will be about comparable in terms of
FPS.

I still say image quality is just as important as raw fps, but thats not a
debate I will to get into whilst cross-posting to both newsgroups. Ask in
the ATI group alone if you want that story.

Couldn't find a head-on test but here's one vs the Ti4600:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=1812

Just bear in mind that the AIW is not the same as your separate TV card.

Ben

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> Just bear in mind that the AIW is not the same as your separate TV card.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. The AIW will combine my current graphic card and
my tv tuner all to one card/slot. That's my main goal, without spending too
much money or having a lesser quality graphics card. I thought I had heard
that the ti4800 was actually slower than the 4600, it just had 8X AGP
support built in. As previously mentioned, I'm perfectly happy with my
current card for the applications I do.

I appreciate your response, that's the type of information I was looking
for. I'm still confused as to which AIW I should be looking at. Although
certainly not as nice as the AIW 9800 Pro, it looks like the AIW 9600 Pro
would provide the same performance as my current card at 1/2 the cost of a
9800 Pro. But I'd hate to skimp on a few bucks and have a graphics card
that is worse than my current one just for the sake of a tv tuner
integration. I guess I'll keep on asking questions.

Thanks again, Ben.

I had a Pinnacle TV card and a Ti 4200 video card a few months ago and
was looking at upgrading just like you are. I eventually settled on
ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Its between the 9600 and the 9800 in video
performance but had the same tuner and video capture chip. The ATI
video capture chip is far superior to the ones on the separate TV
cards. You may want to target the 9600 or if you can find one , the
9700 Pro. The AIW is the top of the line and will cost you too much.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:55:35 -0400, "Chuck"
<sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote:

>> Just bear in mind that the AIW is not the same as your separate TV card.
>
>Yeah, I'm aware of that. The AIW will combine my current graphic card and
>my tv tuner all to one card/slot. That's my main goal, without spending too
>much money or having a lesser quality graphics card. I thought I had heard
>that the ti4800 was actually slower than the 4600, it just had 8X AGP
>support built in. As previously mentioned, I'm perfectly happy with my
>current card for the applications I do.
>
>I appreciate your response, that's the type of information I was looking
>for. I'm still confused as to which AIW I should be looking at. Although
>certainly not as nice as the AIW 9800 Pro, it looks like the AIW 9600 Pro
>would provide the same performance as my current card at 1/2 the cost of a
>9800 Pro. But I'd hate to skimp on a few bucks and have a graphics card
>that is worse than my current one just for the sake of a tv tuner
>integration. I guess I'll keep on asking questions.
>
>Thanks again, Ben.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Malam" <malamilia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I had a Pinnacle TV card and a Ti 4200 video card a few months ago and
> was looking at upgrading just like you are. I eventually settled on
> ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Its between the 9600 and the 9800 in video
> performance but had the same tuner and video capture chip. The ATI
> video capture chip is far superior to the ones on the separate TV
> cards. You may want to target the 9600 or if you can find one , the
> 9700 Pro. The AIW is the top of the line and will cost you too much.

Thanks, Malam.

I see a lot of sales on eBay for all of the AIW line ( 9500-9800 Pro ). I
wasn't sure which one to target. I'll narrow down to the AIW 9700 Pro.
Thanks again.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:11:34 -0400, "Chuck"
<sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote:

>"Malam" <malamilia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I had a Pinnacle TV card and a Ti 4200 video card a few months ago and
>> was looking at upgrading just like you are. I eventually settled on
>> ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Its between the 9600 and the 9800 in video
>> performance but had the same tuner and video capture chip. The ATI
>> video capture chip is far superior to the ones on the separate TV
>> cards. You may want to target the 9600 or if you can find one , the
>> 9700 Pro. The AIW is the top of the line and will cost you too much.
>>

>Thanks, Malam.
>
>I see a lot of sales on eBay for all of the AIW line ( 9500-9800 Pro ). I
>wasn't sure which one to target. I'll narrow down to the AIW 9700 Pro.
>Thanks again.

Depending on what you want to do with the card, Chuck: if you don't
need the tuner, it can be worth looking for VIVO cards to save money.
They'll accept a video input and capture just as well as an AIW - but,
of course, you need an external tuner (eg cable/satellite box, VCR
etc).

If, like me, you've got a cable box which only outputs on one channel
anyway, there's no advantage to an AIW. One other advantage to VIVOs
is that they're not region specific: whereas AIWs will normally accept
either only NTSC input or only PAL and SECAM input, VIVOs will handle
the lot.

Depends on whether you need the tuner.

patrickp

> > FWIW, my system specs are:
> >
> > Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
> > AMD Athlon XP 2700+
> > 1 Gb RAM (3200)
> > 128mb GF4 Ti 4800 SE
> > WinXP Pro
> >
> > --
> > I am not running for office and I approve of this message.
>

> Not even a nibble.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I can find out which AIW is comparable to my
card?

IMO/E - I would say Ti4800 in the range of ATi 9800 class.

CapFusion,...

Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:17:13 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapeFussion...@hotmail.., com> wrote:

>IMO/E - I would say Ti4800 in the range of ATi 9800 class.

More like a 9600 or lower, the 9800 is way faster than a 4800.