Wich Card to buy ? ATI Radeon x800xt or Geforce 6800 ultra?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Radeon
  • Geforce
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 24, 2004 12:46:34 AM

Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
doom 3 & half life 2 :p  but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
the odd dvd

Tia

Andy

More about : wich card buy ati radeon x800xt geforce 6800 ultra

July 24, 2004 12:46:35 AM

Andrew wrote:
> Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
> doom 3 & half life 2 :p  but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
> help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
> the odd dvd
>
> Tia
>
> Andy

You've got the right idea, you certainly need either the
x800xt or 6800U to run these games at full res with
AA and anio, the 9800pro won't cut it.
You really can't lose with either, but definitely
don't settle for the lesser cards, the x800pro and 6800GT.
BTW, I've got a pretested 6800U for sale. IT is BY FAR
the card of choice for Doom 3 and future games.

Jeff B
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 1:26:54 AM

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Andrew ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

> Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
> doom 3 & half life 2 :p  but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
> help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
> the odd dvd
>
> Tia
>
> Andy

theres nothing wrong with your 9800Pro, unless you have massive amounts of
money that you just want to spend... in that case the 6800Ultra is the
cookie, though a nice big powersupply is a requirement. But the 9800pro
should be fine.
July 24, 2004 5:13:49 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:26:54 GMT, Kokoro
<kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote:

>theres nothing wrong with your 9800Pro, unless you have massive amounts of
>money that you just want to spend... in that case the 6800Ultra is the
>cookie, though a nice big powersupply is a requirement. But the 9800pro
>should be fine.

From what info I have gathered the 6800u is the best card for Doom3
and Unreal Tournament 2004 but the X800PE beats the 6800u in many
other games. Both cards are good but the power requirements and two
PSU connectors of the 6800u make it a no buy for me. I'm sticking with
ATI for this round again.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 1:26:54 AM

Certainly an unbiased opinion! :-)