Wich Card to buy ? ATI Radeon x800xt or Geforce 6800 ultra?

Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
doom 3 & half life 2 :P but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
the odd dvd

Tia

Andy
4 answers Last reply
More about wich card radeon x800xt geforce 6800 ultra

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
    > doom 3 & half life 2 :P but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
    > help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
    > the odd dvd
    >
    > Tia
    >
    > Andy

    You've got the right idea, you certainly need either the
    x800xt or 6800U to run these games at full res with
    AA and anio, the 9800pro won't cut it.
    You really can't lose with either, but definitely
    don't settle for the lesser cards, the x800pro and 6800GT.
    BTW, I've got a pretested 6800U for sale. IT is BY FAR
    the card of choice for Doom 3 and future games.

    Jeff B

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Andrew ordered an army of hamsters
    to type:

    > Hi i got got a ATI Radeon 9800 pro and im wanting to upgrade it for
    > doom 3 & half life 2 :P but im not sure wich card is best can anyone
    > help? all i wanna do is run games @ highest quality and maybe watch
    > the odd dvd
    >
    > Tia
    >
    > Andy

    theres nothing wrong with your 9800Pro, unless you have massive amounts of
    money that you just want to spend... in that case the 6800Ultra is the
    cookie, though a nice big powersupply is a requirement. But the 9800pro
    should be fine.

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:26:54 GMT, Kokoro
    <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote:

    >theres nothing wrong with your 9800Pro, unless you have massive amounts of
    >money that you just want to spend... in that case the 6800Ultra is the
    >cookie, though a nice big powersupply is a requirement. But the 9800pro
    >should be fine.

    From what info I have gathered the 6800u is the best card for Doom3
    and Unreal Tournament 2004 but the X800PE beats the 6800u in many
    other games. Both cards are good but the power requirements and two
    PSU connectors of the 6800u make it a no buy for me. I'm sticking with
    ATI for this round again.

    Certainly an unbiased opinion! :-)

    "JB" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message
    > You've got the right idea, you certainly need either the
    > x800xt or 6800U to run these games at full res with
    > AA and anio, the 9800pro won't cut it.
    > You really can't lose with either, but definitely
    > don't settle for the lesser cards, the x800pro and 6800GT.
    > BTW, I've got a pretested 6800U for sale. IT is BY FAR
    > the card of choice for Doom 3 and future games.
    >
    > Jeff B

Nvidia Radeon Geforce ATI Graphics