5700 vs 5700le?

I want to upgrade my video card for my kids
and don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
Is there that much difference between these
two cards that they would even notice?

Thanks,

Tim

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Tim Hendricks" <hendritr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to upgrade my video card for my kids
> and don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
> Is there that much difference between these
> two cards that they would even notice?

There's a big difference in speed between the two. A standard 5700 has a
425Mhz core and 550 Mhz effective memory. The 5700LE has a 250Mhz core and
400Mhz effective memory. What card are you upgrading from?

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<_DlMc.59854$iw3.54062@clgrps13>...
> "Tim Hendricks" <hendritr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I want to upgrade my video card for my kids
> > and don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
> > Is there that much difference between these
> > two cards that they would even notice?
>
> There's a big difference in speed between the two. A standard 5700 has a
> 425Mhz core and 550 Mhz effective memory. The 5700LE has a 250Mhz core and
> 400Mhz effective memory. What card are you upgrading from?

I have a Sony Viao that came with an ATI 9200. I'm not sure which
version it is.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> I have a Sony Viao that came with an ATI 9200. I'm not sure which
> version it is.

A 5700LE is not an upgrade from a straight 9200. It gives you DX9 support
but speed not much different. It's somewhat of an upgrade from a 9200SE.
The straight 5700 or better yet a 5700 Ultra is a big jump.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<7zwMc.60628$iw3.6654@clgrps13>...
> > I have a Sony Viao that came with an ATI 9200. I'm not sure which
> > version it is.
>
> A 5700LE is not an upgrade from a straight 9200. It gives you DX9 support
> but speed not much different. It's somewhat of an upgrade from a 9200SE.
> The straight 5700 or better yet a 5700 Ultra is a big jump.

My 9200 only has 64mb memory. I can get a straight 5700 with 256mb for
$120 so I thought the upgrade would be worth it. An Ultra would be
considerably more.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> My 9200 only has 64mb memory. I can get a straight 5700 with 256mb for
> $120 so I thought the upgrade would be worth it. An Ultra would be
> considerably more.

If it's the 425core / 550 memory it's a decent upgrade. Newegg shows both
the eVGA, Gigabyte, Albatron and Gainward straight 5700 256Mb at these
specs. But Leadtek has a 128Mb 5700 Ultra for only $30 more. You don't need
256Mb video memory, and the ultra card is definitely way faster and well
worth the $30 difference. 475Mhz core and 900Mhz effective memory. Excellent
card.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > My 9200 only has 64mb memory. I can get a straight 5700 with 256mb for
> > $120 so I thought the upgrade would be worth it. An Ultra would be
> > considerably more.
>
> If it's the 425core / 550 memory it's a decent upgrade. Newegg shows both
> the eVGA, Gigabyte, Albatron and Gainward straight 5700 256Mb at these
> specs. But Leadtek has a 128Mb 5700 Ultra for only $30 more. You don't
need
> 256Mb video memory, and the ultra card is definitely way faster and well
> worth the $30 difference. 475Mhz core and 900Mhz effective memory.
Excellent
> card.

Buy a 5900xt or 9800pro and forget about every 5700.
Just my 2 cent.

G.

On 24 Jul 2004 14:54:41 -0700, hendritr@yahoo.com (Tim Hendricks)
wrote:

>"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<7zwMc.60628$iw3.6654@clgrps13>...
>> > I have a Sony Viao that came with an ATI 9200. I'm not sure which
>> > version it is.
>>
>> A 5700LE is not an upgrade from a straight 9200. It gives you DX9 support
>> but speed not much different. It's somewhat of an upgrade from a 9200SE.
>> The straight 5700 or better yet a 5700 Ultra is a big jump.
>
>My 9200 only has 64mb memory. I can get a straight 5700 with 256mb for
>$120 so I thought the upgrade would be worth it. An Ultra would be
>considerably more.

Memory size doesn't mean a thing if the GPU & memory on the video card
is slooooow.

The Minimal "good" GF5 series card is the 5700Ultra, which is about
$150... but the 5900xt is about $170 and is about twice as fast.

If your kids are going to play kiddie games (7 and under) than a
5600~5700 card shall do.... if they are teens and want to play modern
3D games - the 5900xt is the LEAST you should go for...

SHould have bought a lower cost computer and added a better video
card.... (Like a HP with an AMD 3000 for $600) ;)

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.