Firewalk 5.0

It is more a Linux question that a firewalk or firewall quesiton! Please
accept my apologies.

My knowledge about Linux is extremely primitive. However, most security
tools are in Linux and I have to learn it as it goes.

I am trying to install Firewalk at root, i.e., \root\firewalk on a SuSE 9.2
machine. Prior to its installation, I installed Libnet at root., i.e.,
\root\libnet, as firewalk's pre-requisite.

At the end of the ./configure, the program "complained" that it could not
find libnet!

Should I need to add a "path" to the "environment" so that Firewalk could
find it. If it is the case, what are the steps?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DF
3 answers Last reply
More about firewalk

    Doug Fox <dfox138-no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I am trying to install Firewalk at root, i.e., \root\firewalk on a SuSE 9.2
    > machine. Prior to its installation, I installed Libnet at root., i.e.,
    > \root\libnet, as firewalk's pre-requisite.
    > At the end of the ./configure, the program "complained" that it could not
    > find libnet!
    > Should I need to add a "path" to the "environment" so that Firewalk could
    > find it. If it is the case, what are the steps?

    ../configure --help | less

    and read. Is there an option for configure to tell where this library is?

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    <77-dnWSpu9AbH5LeRVn-uw@rogers.com>, Doug Fox wrote:

    >It is more a Linux question that a firewalk or firewall quesiton!

    and probably would be more apropos in comp.os.linux.misc, or possibly
    alt.os.linux.suse - but what-ever

    >My knowledge about Linux is extremely primitive.

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/linux-doc-project/
    http://tldp.org/guides.html

    Two places (at two sites) you should be familiar with. Older versions of
    the HOWTOs may be stashed on your system (/usr/share/HOWTO/ perhaps),
    but that _alone_ is about 470 documents - the equivalent of 12,000 pages.
    The LDP guides are 25 or so full sized books, available for free download
    in various print formats.

    >I am trying to install Firewalk at root, i.e., \root\firewalk on a SuSE
    >9.2 machine.

    Unusual location. If you 'echo $PATH' as root, you will see what is in
    the PATH. I'd rather doubt that /root/firewalk is - though /root/bin
    might be. Normally, something like that would go into /usr/local/sbin/.

    SuSE 9.2 is a version behind (9.3 came out in March), and 10.0 is in at
    least the third beta release.

    >Prior to its installation, I installed Libnet at root., i.e.,
    >\root\libnet, as firewalk's pre-requisite.

    Better learn that UNIX (and friends, that includes Linux) uses the other
    slash as a path separator. None the less, /root/libnet is a HIGHLY
    unusual location. Libraries are more likely to go to /lib/, /usr/lib/,
    and perhaps (in this case) /usr/local/lib/.

    >At the end of the ./configure, the program "complained" that it could not
    >find libnet!

    Not surprising. See the 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard' available from
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/. See also the 'Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy'
    which is an LDP guide.

    >Should I need to add a "path" to the "environment" so that Firewalk could
    >find it. If it is the case, what are the steps?

    Did you read the ./configure and ./Makefile* to see where things are
    expected to be? Did you read the documentation that came with the
    tarball?

    >Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

    As a newbie, you should be staying more with the packages that are supplied
    with your distribution (in this case SuSE 9.2). Packages (.rpm) that are
    specifically built for SuSE 9.2 are probably acceptable as well. Other
    pre-built packages may be for other versions of SuSE (I'd avoid anything
    built for versions earlier that 9.0), and for other distributions (such
    as Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake/Mandriva, Red Hat and Slackware, and
    clones thereof) may not work for you because of incompatibilities between
    distributions (files in non-standard places) and releases (different library
    versions). Tarballs can work, though no where near as easy (and thus not
    for the newbie), and these bypass the package manager which may cause
    dependencies problems.

    Old guy

    Many thanks, Moe, for the info.

Firewalls Security Linux Networking