Your question
Closed

Epic: Bulletstorm Didn't Make Any Profit

Tags:
  • Reviews
  • Epic
Last response: in News comments
July 26, 2011 12:36:42 AM

Because the game sucks?!?!?! This is what happens when a game is produced by some diva with a degree rather than someone with a gaming background.

Probably went something like this...
Clueless oily weasel exec "That girl is hot, and I like her more than the overweight guy who talks about game theory all day. I mean, that girl with the degree doesn't even talk about games, so put her in charge."
Score
July 26, 2011 12:51:25 AM

I don't trust Metacritic scores anymore. Just look at the spread most EA games have between critic and user reviews.

Bulletstorm fails because it is an average game with below average multi-player in a crowded field with little marketing support from EA.
Score
Related resources
July 26, 2011 1:12:54 AM

Most of the cross platform tiles to come out so far in the last couple of years have failed. If your going to make a PC game, make a PC game. Don't try to port a console game to the PC. Crysis 2 , Bulletstorm, Just Cause 2,and Duke Nukem Forever to name a few. The only titles that worked well across all platforms were Batman Arkham Asylum , Dead Space 1 and 2 and the Mass Effect Series.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:14:38 AM

i am not surprised it sold poorly. it had framerate and textures from day one. and these were not really addressed by the developer until very late.

the gameplay was excellent ,BTW.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:31:53 AM

JC2 was amazing on the PC!
Score
July 26, 2011 1:44:48 AM

Because all of us gamers grew up by now, and the kids today only play the Wii :) 
Score
July 26, 2011 1:54:57 AM

michaelahessJC2 was amazing on the PC!

+1, That was a fun console port....the controls where not too bad either.

So worth buying....
Score
Anonymous
July 26, 2011 2:07:33 AM

the game looks fun but.. its just another fps, guess ppl are getting tired of them.
(I am at least)
Score
July 26, 2011 2:20:09 AM

I never tried the multiplayer, but I had a hell of a time playing the campaign. Bulletstorm gets a A+ in my books.
Score
July 26, 2011 2:40:04 AM

I had fully intended to buy this game but after the stupid comments about PC gamers by Blezinsky(You did get your start with PC games Cliffy, it might be a good idea to remember that.), the late PC demo(the game was developed on the PC, why was the PC demo late?), and the very short and uninteresting demo, I stopped caring.
Score
July 26, 2011 2:50:48 AM

I've been waiting for a good sale. $120 + tax is expensive for my wife and I to play a single game for 6 hours. Lots of sp / coop campaigns are around the 6 hour mark making it ~20 bucks an hour to play. I'd be better off paying someone to do yard work at that price.

Score
July 26, 2011 2:58:13 AM

Played the demo. I found it just to be another horrible console port.
Score
July 26, 2011 3:00:31 AM

michaelahessJC2 was amazing on the PC!

This. But, I do think it's the exception. That and Crysis 2, although it wasn't completed until three months after it was released.
Score
July 26, 2011 3:54:58 AM

This was released? Epic Marketing...

Cheers!
Score
July 26, 2011 4:18:26 AM

i know why it failed financially.

you tied a beta or demo for gears 3 to it.

people decided that upon hearing that, the game was crap and you wanted to make a 60$ beta/demo money off a mediocre game.

game was great, but thats how most people saw it.
Score
July 26, 2011 4:21:54 AM

SmileyTPB1I had fully intended to buy this game but after the stupid comments about PC gamers by Blezinsky(You did get your start with PC games Cliffy, it might be a good idea to remember that.), the late PC demo(the game was developed on the PC, why was the PC demo late?), and the very short and uninteresting demo, I stopped caring.

yea, cliff is the reason i hate epic, treat the pc gamer right and we treat you right back, f*** us and we f*** you back
Score
Anonymous
July 26, 2011 4:27:59 AM

Jesus, how's your spell check there at Tom's?! You misspelled Capps' name 3 times ::- D.
Score
July 26, 2011 5:12:41 AM

EA has been turning out a lot of crap lately.
Score
July 26, 2011 5:13:21 AM

stardude82Bulletstorm fails because it is an average game with below average multi-player in a crowded field with little marketing support from EA.

Couldn't agree more.
Score
July 26, 2011 6:26:58 AM

This game only took me less than four hours to beat, and at $60 that's not acceptable. Those few hours were full of fun but that's still too much for a game with little to no replay-ability. I suspect its poor market performance is a result of the consumer being fed up with its lack of play time.
Score
July 26, 2011 6:57:52 AM

... i liked it... but the single player campaign waz too short... fun, but too short...
Score
July 26, 2011 6:58:20 AM

The game has stoopid ending,
I hate the ending.
Score
July 26, 2011 7:15:11 AM

Maybe I'm just getting old but the mouse and keyboard controls seemed too confusing. I had a lot more fun playing the 360 demo using the controller, to the point I almost bought the stupid PC version of the 360 controller. Maybe I just need one of those nice and expensive gaming keyboards
Score
July 26, 2011 8:06:29 AM

tinmannMost of the cross platform tiles to come out so far in the last couple of years have failed. If your going to make a PC game, make a PC game. Don't try to port a console game to the PC. Crysis 2 , Bulletstorm, Just Cause 2,and Duke Nukem Forever to name a few. The only titles that worked well across all platforms were Batman Arkham Asylum , Dead Space 1 and 2 and the Mass Effect Series.

Not exactly... Mass Effect was a good game, yes, but it wasn't without the usual port problems by ANY means. The first Mass Effect didn't even support wide-screen and the textures would pop in and out in odd places due to console optimization. It was a port. The game was great, but it was still a crap port (from a technical standpoint).
Score
July 26, 2011 8:07:32 AM

nukemaster+1, That was a fun console port....the controls where not too bad either.So worth buying....

JC2 crashes my system reliably after about 20 mins of play. Tech Support said it was a known issue.... still hasn't been fixed. Still a crap point, but a good game.
Score
July 26, 2011 8:10:18 AM

alidanyea, cliff is the reason i hate epic, treat the pc gamer right and we treat you right back, f*** us and we f*** you back

I'm sure plenty of PC gamers either pirated the game or boycotted it based on the anti-pc comments alone. I, for one, won't be buying any Epic games because of that. I don't think any self-respecting PC gamer should buy them either.
Score
July 26, 2011 10:22:36 AM

"How Epic Brings AAA Attitude to Every Game" ????

UH... explain UT3. The Unreal Franchise was destroyed instantly when you released a very unfinished game PORT with shitty map designs. Most Vehicle maps were tiny. Vehicle ZOOM is DISABLED!! (stupid!) in which a 16k mod file re-activated. The game came with 32 maps, in which about 2-3 maps out of 4 game types were even playable!

A feature of the game is the ability to have FOOT players use a grapple hook to ride on back on team-players jets craft. BUT, since you can't see behind your jet, you can't SEE if team-mates are trying to hitch a ride. Its kills the fun... adding the MOD makes the game so much better.
Vehicle Zoom is when You use your mouse wheel to ZOOM from inside a craft to about 25 feet behind.

Remember the crappy maps? Seriously, we'd be stuck playing a map for over an hour - begging players to LET the other side to score so we can change maps and with so few servers, we were stuck (compared to UT99's 500+ servers in 2001). So it meant 2 maps over and over again (Bridge).

The Menu GUI was for consoles which SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED, designed by retards.
For multi-players, the server listings would show BOTS as "humans".

After a year, by the time the user base had made hundreds EXCELLENT maps, only a handful of servers have humans are left. And worse... 3 out of 4 (there or 6~8) of them are running crappy STOCK maps that nobody wants to play. UGH

Simple fixes could save the game, like UT2004. Fix what is needed, repack the game with 150 maps rename it as UT3.5 or UT4.

Epic has lost how to make great games... they should have known better.
Score
July 26, 2011 11:10:10 AM

I can't say that this game was bad. It had a good story line, great gameplay and all that, and to top it off, a bad console port. EPIC really didn't care for the PC gamers. They did a really bad job of porting the game.
Score
July 26, 2011 12:49:13 PM

UT3 has a great game engine - probably the best in all of gaming. It's too bad Epic just doesn't know what makes a good GAME anymore.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:10:03 PM

LORD_ORIONBecause the game sucks?!?!?! This is what happens when a game is produced by some diva with a degree rather than someone with a gaming background.Probably went something like this...Clueless oily weasel exec "That girl is hot, and I like her more than the overweight guy who talks about game theory all day. I mean, that girl with the degree doesn't even talk about games, so put her in charge."

that happens at the insurance office i work at... thanks to that, we ahve a bunch of yes men and people with zero original ideas
Score
July 26, 2011 1:11:13 PM

i played the demo, i was like this seems fun but not worth more then $30/$40..
Score
July 26, 2011 1:12:25 PM

What is wrong with you people? The game is not 4 hours, its the same length as most shooters these days, 6-8 hours, which is plenty. Epic didn't make this game, they published it, People Can Fly developed it. The ending was fine. It had plenty of marketing, leading up to it all I saw was bulletstorm ads. The only valid complaint I've read so far is about the PC port, which I 100% agree with. But if you didn't buy it for any of the other reasons above, you're a bunch of babies. Stop playing games, you don't deserve to.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:48:55 PM

Unreal Tournament and UT2004 were a blast to play. I think I still have them both somewhere. I wonder if there are any servers on Xfire still up and running. I loved the fact that you could bind speech to different keys. The smack talk was hilarious; "And Stay Down", "Bite Me", "You Suck", "That's Gotta Hurt", I'd be laughing my arse off while playing. Games have devolved since those days.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:52:24 PM

It looks like a cool game, but there are so many games like this,
It's a console port and most with pc's try and steer clear as soon as they hear the word "port" fearing glitches, bugs, and sluggish framerates.
It could be a good game, but most pc gamers have been burned by bad ports and just like once you puked up a certain bar cocktail, that bad taste sticks with you and you stay clear of it forever.

-Painkiller also upset many gamers including myself.
-While the graphics are nice in painkiller, like WTF putting satanic symbols and stuff in a game creeps too many people out. I bought Painkiller on sale and stopped playing the game after a couple of menu screens.
-Just make a game to play, don't put weird stuff in it. It is supposed to be just a game and not too serious, keep it fun.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:58:38 PM

Yeah ut 2003/2004 was one of my favorite games back in the day.
It was a fun game, has some humor in it, nothing too serious just a game.
And it did not have a satanic Ouija Board as a menu screen ok.
Score
July 26, 2011 2:17:02 PM

tinmannUnreal Tournament and UT2004 were a blast to play. I think I still have them both somewhere. I wonder if there are any servers on Xfire still up and running. I loved the fact that you could bind speech to different keys. The smack talk was hilarious; "And Stay Down", "Bite Me", "You Suck", "That's Gotta Hurt", I'd be laughing my arse off while playing. Games have devolved since those days.

Six to eight hours of single-player gameplay is not enough. Shooter used contain anywhere from 20-30 hours of gameplay back in the day.
Score
July 26, 2011 3:49:13 PM

The Bullet Kick and Bullet slide got real old real quick. And your right Fallout 3 Rocks. That game keep me up until the wee hours of the morning.It would be 2:00am and had to get up a 6:00 to be at work by 7:00 but I had to finish just one more quest.I finished all the DLC and played it over. That's why I am looking forward to Rage. Id and Bethesda, oh that's so gonna rock. I haven't played New Vega and a few months though and never finished it.
Score
July 26, 2011 4:06:18 PM

Game just doesn't seem to bring anything new. So obviously it didn't appeal enough to me to make me even bother to look at it. I think I looked @ it for 5minutes. So wouldn't surprise me it flopped...which happens from time to time (homefront :p )
Score
July 26, 2011 5:35:19 PM

I seen a few video's, just seems to "On-Rails" gameplay to me, and didn't look fun to me IMO.
Score
July 26, 2011 6:35:39 PM

ddg4005Six to eight hours of single-player gameplay is not enough. Shooter used contain anywhere from 20-30 hours of gameplay back in the day.

Half-Life 1 took me forever on my first playthrough.
Score
July 26, 2011 6:43:15 PM

(Short gameplay + on-rails shooter + EA) * personal preference for single player = buy when $10 or less
Score
July 26, 2011 10:33:04 PM

need4speedsYeah ut 2003/2004 was one of my favorite games back in the day. It was a fun game, has some humor in it, nothing too serious just a game. And it did not have a satanic Ouija Board as a menu screen ok.

Except Ouija boards weren't ever satanic. Hollywood is responsible for linking Ouija boards to demonic evils and ghosts and things.. Waaay back people were using them as tools to find what your subconscious was maybe trying to tell you. Try not to lunge for the torches and pitchforks without doing some research....
Score
July 26, 2011 11:34:09 PM

Spellcheck Tom's, spellcheck. It's "Capps" not "Capp" or "Caps" (Lock!?).
Score
July 27, 2011 12:07:26 AM

wickoWhat is wrong with you people? The game is not 4 hours, its the same length as most shooters these days, 6-8 hours, which is plenty. Epic didn't make this game, they published it, People Can Fly developed it. The ending was fine. It had plenty of marketing, leading up to it all I saw was bulletstorm ads. The only valid complaint I've read so far is about the PC port, which I 100% agree with. But if you didn't buy it for any of the other reasons above, you're a bunch of babies. Stop playing games, you don't deserve to.

6-8 hours for a $60 game isn't enough. Especially if you're going to play coop and have to buy two copies for $120 plus tax. Shooters used to have 15 hours or so, then it slowly dropped to 10, now 6, and I've heard some even have as little as 4 hours of gameplay. My wife and I won't pay that kind of money for a game. 6 hours of play = $20 per hour which is more than your average person makes working a full time job.

It's nothing more than a method to maximize profits. Sure, companies are supposed to profit but the problem is growth. If a company doesn't grow, investors don't invest, so they have to cut corners and reduce development cycles, game quality and content in order to increase profits. It's not really their fault, it's the stock market. If I ever owned a large company I'd never take it public just for that reason.
Score
July 27, 2011 1:33:53 AM

tinmannUnreal Tournament and UT2004 were a blast to play. I think I still have them both somewhere. I wonder if there are any servers on Xfire still up and running. I loved the fact that you could bind speech to different keys. The smack talk was hilarious; "And Stay Down", "Bite Me", "You Suck", "That's Gotta Hurt", I'd be laughing my arse off while playing. Games have devolved since those days.

You think new games with actual plots have devolved from lame elementary school smack talk? What a skewed view you have of evolution...
Score
July 27, 2011 1:35:21 AM

jacekringBTW: Fallout 3 and New Vegas were good cross platform, looked amazing on the PC.

Fallout 3 was a terrible port for PC. Even if you have a solid 60fps, there's still an atrocious amount of mouse lag that ruined the game for me.
Score
July 27, 2011 1:52:38 AM

I had no idea the game was that short. I agree games should be much longer for the kind of money they are charging these days.

The problem is that the modern console crowd starts crying that a game is "too long" if it takes more than about 8 hours to finish and it's "too hard" if they have to think or explore much. All they really seem to care about is the multiplayer part.

I can remember that Doom, Quake, System Shock, Unreal and the like all took 30-40 hours to play through the first time, and they were all great to play again and again. Those of you who only ever played BioShock only got a small taste of how difficult and complex games used to be. Even console games back in the day were very hard and some took FOREVER to finish. Anyone play the original Zelda(both quests) or Final Fantasy all the way through? Heck, even the original Super Mario Bros 1/2/3 on NES all took hours and hours and hours to play all the way through, and they were hard too. I know that I died thousands of times before I finished the first one.

For those of us that have been around since the original NES or even earlier the sad truth is that gaming's best days are gone. There are a few good things out there like Magicka right now. But I think the truth is that most of it is crap and it's probably never going to get any better.

Score
July 27, 2011 1:54:52 AM

pocketdrummerFallout 3 was a terrible port for PC. Even if you have a solid 60fps, there's still an atrocious amount of mouse lag that ruined the game for me.

meh, i just hat the developer for that game. they have skyrim to win me over, and if they f*** that up, im writing them off as a company.

wickoWhat is wrong with you people? The game is not 4 hours, its the same length as most shooters these days, 6-8 hours, which is plenty. Epic didn't make this game, they published it, People Can Fly developed it. The ending was fine. It had plenty of marketing, leading up to it all I saw was bulletstorm ads. The only valid complaint I've read so far is about the PC port, which I 100% agree with. But if you didn't buy it for any of the other reasons above, you're a bunch of babies. Stop playing games, you don't deserve to.

6-8 hours is short, i dont mind short fun games, but you have to look at borderlands as a pc shooter benchmark.

you also have to look at the way epic treats pc gamers like we are s***, assuming that everyone pirates games, we don't, if no demo is out, yea ill pirate a game, or if its been out of production so long i cant get it any more, ill also pirate it, but thats about it. i don't pirate because i'm cheap, i pirate to see if the game is good without a demo, and if i cant acquire the game anymore.
Score
July 27, 2011 2:04:36 AM

@pocketdrummer

The UT games were never about plot. All they ever were supposed to be were frantic twitch shooters. And yes, to a large degree, games have devolved from what they used to be like.

If you want good plot, try the original Unreal, or either of the System shock games.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!