Problem regarding Geforce4 TI 4800 SE VideoCard (128 mb ram)

Hello everybody!

I do not know if this is the right place to ask about this problem, but it
is a Nvidia graphic card, so I will take the chance. Excuse me if it is the
wrong place..

The problem is I own a Nvida Gforce 4 Ti 4800 SE graphic card with 128 mb of
ram. The Bios version is
4.28.20.21 and the drivers are version 6.14.10.5672, but the adapter driver
states driver version 5.6.7.2 (driver date 24.03.2004)

Now to the problem. Under the flip Desktop Settings/Advanced/GeForce4 Ti
4800 SE the Bustype is set to PCI. Before I uptated the driver it stated PCI
(AGP) in parentecis. The settings in Bios says that the main graphic slot is
AGP and with 128 mb of ram.

I also ran Sandra 2004 pro, and got the answer that it was problems
regarding my bustype of the graphic card! But I can assure you! It is AGP,
the card is fitted in an AGP slot and everything! I can also add that I
builded the computer myself. Can someone please help me? I am now in dire
need of full graphical burst rate on my graphic card, and I can't have my
computer believeing it is a "slow" PCI card!

Thanks in advance!

Niccolado

"Nicolado" <nicolado@online.no> wrote in message
> Hello everybody!
>
> I do not know if this is the right place to ask about this problem, but it
> is a Nvidia graphic card, so I will take the chance. Excuse me if it is
the
> wrong place..
>
> The problem is I own a Nvida Gforce 4 Ti 4800 SE graphic card with 128 mb
of
> ram. The Bios version is
> 4.28.20.21 and the drivers are version 6.14.10.5672, but the adapter
driver
> states driver version 5.6.7.2 (driver date 24.03.2004)

That's normal.

> Now to the problem. Under the flip Desktop Settings/Advanced/GeForce4 Ti
> 4800 SE the Bustype is set to PCI. Before I uptated the driver it stated
PCI
> (AGP) in parentecis. The settings in Bios says that the main graphic slot
is
> AGP and with 128 mb of ram.
>
> I also ran Sandra 2004 pro, and got the answer that it was problems
> regarding my bustype of the graphic card! But I can assure you! It is AGP,
> the card is fitted in an AGP slot and everything! I can also add that I
> builded the computer myself. Can someone please help me? I am now in dire
> need of full graphical burst rate on my graphic card, and I can't have my
> computer believeing it is a "slow" PCI card!

There could be a problem with the chipset ( or motherboard ) driver. Is it
up-to-date?
Does the entry under Display Adapters in Device Manager display the name of
the gfx card or just "VGA (generic)"?

Tony.

"The Black Wibble" <scanner@free.net.nz> wrote in message
> "Nicolado" <nicolado@online.no> wrote in message
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I do not know if this is the right place to ask about this problem, but
>> it
>> is a Nvidia graphic card, so I will take the chance. Excuse me if it is
> the
>> wrong place..
>>
>> The problem is I own a Nvida Gforce 4 Ti 4800 SE graphic card with 128 mb
> of
>> ram. The Bios version is
>> 4.28.20.21 and the drivers are version 6.14.10.5672, but the adapter
> driver
>> states driver version 5.6.7.2 (driver date 24.03.2004)
>
> That's normal.
>
>> Now to the problem. Under the flip Desktop Settings/Advanced/GeForce4 Ti
>> 4800 SE the Bustype is set to PCI. Before I uptated the driver it stated
> PCI
>> (AGP) in parentecis. The settings in Bios says that the main graphic slot
> is
>> AGP and with 128 mb of ram.
>>
>> I also ran Sandra 2004 pro, and got the answer that it was problems
>> regarding my bustype of the graphic card! But I can assure you! It is
>> AGP,
>> the card is fitted in an AGP slot and everything! I can also add that I
>> builded the computer myself. Can someone please help me? I am now in dire
>> need of full graphical burst rate on my graphic card, and I can't have my
>> computer believeing it is a "slow" PCI card!
>
> There could be a problem with the chipset ( or motherboard ) driver. Is
> it
> up-to-date?
> Does the entry under Display Adapters in Device Manager display the name
> of
> the gfx card or just "VGA (generic)"?
>
> Tony.

Hi!

Under adapter it recognic ed the gfx card. it states type: Nvidia Geforce4
Ti 4800 SE
Adapter information
Chip Type: Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
memory Type: 128 MB
Adapter String: Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE
Bios Information: Version 4.28.20.21.00

Mother Board is: Elitegroup, Via Technologies, Model KT400-8235. It should
be up todate, because I bought
everything together. No new upgrades etc. Can not
remember tough if I set any jumpers
regarding PCI or AGP tough...Not sure.

Nic

"Nicolado" <car-nico@online.no> wrote in message
[...]
> Hi!
>
> Under adapter it recognic ed the gfx card. it states type: Nvidia Geforce4
> Ti 4800 SE
> Adapter information
> Chip Type: Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE
> DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
> memory Type: 128 MB
> Adapter String: Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE
> Bios Information: Version 4.28.20.21.00
>
> Mother Board is: Elitegroup, Via Technologies, Model KT400-8235. It should
> be up todate, because I bought
> everything together. No new upgrades etc. Can
not
> remember tough if I set any jumpers
> regarding PCI or AGP tough...Not sure.
>
> Nic

The motherboard is either an L7VTA (1.1), or an LVTA2 (2.0) because they
are the only two Elitegroup motherboards with the KT400/8235 chipset. See
here: http://tinyurl.com/64jsn. I can find only driver updates for the IDE,
LAN, Modem, and sound ( http://tinyurl.com/3kkmf ). All I can suggest is to
install DirectX 9.0b if you haven't already, and install the lastest nVidia
drivers which is rev 61.76, then see if that fixes things.

Tony.

Hi!

yes, I have the L7VTA version v1.1 you mentioned. I am still afraid for this
did not work out my problem. It is so frustrating. I checked
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/ecs-l7vta-kt400.html
where I got it confirmed that there are no jumper setting for choosing AGP
or PCI. Only Bios setting. So. Why do I still have problems...?

> Hi!
>
> yes, I have the L7VTA version v1.1 you mentioned. I am still afraid for
this
> did not work out my problem. It is so frustrating. I checked
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/ecs-l7vta-kt400.html
> where I got it confirmed that there are no jumper setting for choosing AGP
> or PCI. Only Bios setting. So. Why do I still have problems...?

I don't know. You wrote that in Display Properties the Bus Type was PCI
(AGP) until the drivers were updated. I assume you've tried nVidia's most
recent drivers (ver 61.76) without any success. If games are running slower
and benchmark scores are down, then the only path to take is to revert to
the driver version which identified the Bus Type as PCI (AGP).

> "Nicolado" <car-nico@online.no> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> yes, I have the L7VTA version v1.1 you mentioned. I am still afraid for
> this
>> did not work out my problem. It is so frustrating. I checked
>> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/ecs-l7vta-kt400.html
>> where I got it confirmed that there are no jumper setting for choosing
>> AGP
>> or PCI. Only Bios setting. So. Why do I still have problems...?
>
> I don't know. You wrote that in Display Properties the Bus Type was PCI
> (AGP) until the drivers were updated. I assume you've tried nVidia's most
> recent drivers (ver 61.76) without any success. If games are running
> slower
> and benchmark scores are down, then the only path to take is to revert to
> the driver version which identified the Bus Type as PCI (AGP).
>
> Tony.

Maybe, but the benchmarking program Sandra 2003, wich I used, still informed
me at that time I still used old drivers, that there where problems
regarding my gfx card. It recogniced my card as AGP slot not in use, or not
fully compatible... And, believe me. They are! Any good tips?

Nic

"Nicolado" <car-nico@online.no> wrote in message
[...]
> Maybe, but the benchmarking program Sandra 2003, wich I used, still
informed
> me at that time I still used old drivers, that there where problems
> regarding my gfx card. It recogniced my card as AGP slot not in use, or
not
> fully compatible... And, believe me. They are! Any good tips?
>
> Nic

The L7VTA is a fairly common motherboard, yet after googling around the
internet I can't find other people with the same problem you're having. You
could try loading the BIOS defaults, then saving them. If that does not
help then think about backing up important data on to a CD or another medium
and do a clean reinstall of Windows. After reinstalling Windows make the
first thing you do is to install the chipset (or motherboard ) drivers, then
the video card drivers, then go to Display Properties to check the Bus Type.

If at this stage the bus type in Display Properties is ~still~ PCI, then I
suspect the PSU is not providing the graphics card with enough juice.

Tony.

Tony! You are a lifesaver!!

After I downloaded this patch and updated my system the status changed from
PCi to AGP 8X!!!!!
Now, I have not tested it yet with any games, but just that the system shows
AGP 8X means that
this patch work!!

Thank you! Thank you indeed!!

Nic!

> Tony! You are a lifesaver!!
>
> After I downloaded this patch and updated my system the status changed
from
> PCi to AGP 8X!!!!!
> Now, I have not tested it yet with any games, but just that the system
shows
> AGP 8X means that
> this patch work!!
>
> Thank you! Thank you indeed!!
>
> Nic!

Woo hoo! I'm happy everything worked out. That was a tricky one.

Tony.