The correct way to install new drivers?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

In 98 and ME I used to delete the Nvidia drivers, reboot, install PCI VGA
drivers, reboot, and then install the new Nvidia ones.
In WinXP Pro I can't do this, as XP always installs Nvidia drivers after
re-booting - "New hardware found, Nvida FX5900, your hardware is now
installed". It is using some 2003 drivers, v51.16.
Yes I have tried safe mode, plus VGA mode - same thing, as soon as PC
reboots into normal mode those pesky drivers reappear. Even used regcleaner
to delelete all Nvidia entries, but after reboot Nvidia Global is back
again.
If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list' to install a
standard VGA driver, only the 'have disk' button.
So with all the recent drivers I have just used the update driver option,
and installed the new drivers over the top. Everything works fine, but would
be interested to know if other XP Pro users use diferent methods?
TIA

>If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
>select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'

There is that option if you do it from device manager.

I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when Windows
restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then install the new drivers.

I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version for a while,
but every now and then I might test a new version.

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>> If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver,
>> then select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'
>
> There is that option if you do it from device manager.
>
> I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when
> Windows restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then
> install the new drivers.
>
> I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version
> for a while, but every now and then I might test a new version.

I do the same, but before rebooting I use detonator RIP, then reboot, cancel
on reboot and then run the exe.

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants. The other is getting it.

ya the problem with windows Xp is that if drivers are missing it will
download drivers from thw indows update site and install those, all in the
background, without warning and without you knowing its doing it. i
recommend using a program i found at www.drivercleaner.net and follow the
instructions in the readme, you will have no problems with Xp installing old
drivers again.

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> In 98 and ME I used to delete the Nvidia drivers, reboot, install PCI VGA
> drivers, reboot, and then install the new Nvidia ones.
> In WinXP Pro I can't do this, as XP always installs Nvidia drivers after
> re-booting - "New hardware found, Nvida FX5900, your hardware is now
> installed". It is using some 2003 drivers, v51.16.
> Yes I have tried safe mode, plus VGA mode - same thing, as soon as PC
> reboots into normal mode those pesky drivers reappear. Even used
regcleaner
> to delelete all Nvidia entries, but after reboot Nvidia Global is back
> again.
> If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
> select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list' to install a
> standard VGA driver, only the 'have disk' button.
> So with all the recent drivers I have just used the update driver option,
> and installed the new drivers over the top. Everything works fine, but
would
> be interested to know if other XP Pro users use diferent methods?
> TIA

>I do the same, but before rebooting I use detonator RIP, then reboot, cancel
>on reboot and then run the exe.

I might use something like detonator RIP or even manually clean out the
registry, but only if I suspect I might have some kind of trouble with the new
drivers.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
> >select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'
>
> There is that option if you do it from device manager.
No , 'fraid not

> I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when
Windows
> restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then install the new
drivers.
I don't have the opportunity, it does'nt come up with a wizard, it
automatically installs the drivers.

> I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version for a
while,
> but every now and then I might test a new version.
>
>Thanks anyway

>No , 'fraid not

Yes there is. You are using Windows XP Home right? I think the pro version does
it differently.

Go to device manager, click on display adapters, right click on your video card
and then properties. Then click on driver tab and there is a button there to
update drivers.

When I click on update drivers I am given the option to "install from a list or
specified location" or "install automatically"

>I don't have the opportunity, it does'nt come up with a wizard, it
>automatically installs the drivers.

You have to be quick and stop windows from installing drivers.
You do this by clicking on the icon in the task bar when it finds new hardware
and then cancel it.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"Hamish" <jocksspam@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> PRIVATE1964 wrote:
> >> If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver,
> >> then select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'
> >
> > There is that option if you do it from device manager.
> >
> > I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when
> > Windows restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then
> > install the new drivers.
> >
> > I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version
> > for a while, but every now and then I might test a new version.
>
> I do the same, but before rebooting I use detonator RIP, then reboot,
cancel
> on reboot and then run the exe.

I have to stress that I cannot cancel anything on re-boot, there is no
installation wizard. I just get the pop-up in the taskbar saying new
hardware found.....your hardware installed succesfully.

> Cheers
>
> Hamish
>
> --
> Go Strugglers
>
> In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
> wants. The other is getting it.

>I just get the pop-up in the taskbar saying new
>hardware found

You single or double click on the task bar icon when it says it found new
hardware and cancel it before it is able to install anything.

You have to be quick to cancel it. It will never come up with a box unless it
can't find any drivers at all.

Like I posted you can also upgrade the drivers and point to a location for
files by using device manager and clicking display adapters and then getting
properties for your video card.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"Lance Ballantyne" <lballantyne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> ya the problem with windows Xp is that if drivers are missing it will
> download drivers from thw indows update site and install those, all in the
> background, without warning and without you knowing its doing it. i
> recommend using a program i found at www.drivercleaner.net and follow the
> instructions in the readme, you will have no problems with Xp installing
old
> drivers again.

Don't think it's downloading them, as it's instantaneous - my broadband
isn't that quick!
The program looks like it might do the job though - but the readme gave
enough clues as to where the driver is coming from - C:/Windows/driver
cache/i386/driver.cab - and sure enough a search finds plenty of NV.sys &
NV.dll files there, so I reckon if they were deleted it would do the trick.
BTW I think the reason there is no ability to change the FX5900 to a
standard VGA card in device manager is because it is detected by Windows as
'unknown device' at first, and it is only after installing drivers that it
goes up the list into the 'display adaptor' section - maybe?

> >No , 'fraid not
>
> Yes there is. You are using Windows XP Home right? I think the pro version
does
> it differently.
>
> Go to device manager, click on display adapters, right click on your video
card
> and then properties. Then click on driver tab and there is a button there
> update drivers.
>
> When I click on update drivers I am given the option to "install from a
list or
> specified location" or "install automatically"
I'm XP Pro, and when I do get the two choices as you detail, but when I
choose 'install from a list...' I get no list of devices, it is a blank
box - the only option available is the 'have disk' button.
This behaviour is peculiar to my FX5900, I could use the normal procedures
on all my prior Nvidia cards.

> >I don't have the opportunity, it does'nt come up with a wizard, it
> >automatically installs the drivers.
>
> You have to be quick and stop windows from installing drivers.
> You do this by clicking on the icon in the task bar when it finds new
hardware
> and then cancel it.
I did'nt know you could do that, thanks, I will try it.

>I'm XP Pro, and when I do get the two choices as you detail, but when I
>choose 'install from a list...' I get no list of devices, it is a blank

I've seen that before on a copy of Windows Pro. I think it has something to do
with the extra security for the pro version, but I'm not sure.

I've asked the exact same questions before after noticing that XP doesn't
follow the same procedure as other OS's. In the end, I actually find that
the least problematic way to install new drivers is to simply install the
new ones right on top of the old ones. This method has given me the least
problems over the last couple years compared to all the different
"uninstall" procedures that are suggested.

Personally, I'd recommend trying a straight install (via the "update
drivers" button, not the "exe" file) right on top of the old ones.

Larry

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> In 98 and ME I used to delete the Nvidia drivers, reboot, install PCI VGA
> drivers, reboot, and then install the new Nvidia ones.
> In WinXP Pro I can't do this, as XP always installs Nvidia drivers after
> re-booting - "New hardware found, Nvida FX5900, your hardware is now
> installed". It is using some 2003 drivers, v51.16.
> Yes I have tried safe mode, plus VGA mode - same thing, as soon as PC
> reboots into normal mode those pesky drivers reappear. Even used
regcleaner
> to delelete all Nvidia entries, but after reboot Nvidia Global is back
> again.
> If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
> select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list' to install a
> standard VGA driver, only the 'have disk' button.
> So with all the recent drivers I have just used the update driver option,
> and installed the new drivers over the top. Everything works fine, but
would
> be interested to know if other XP Pro users use diferent methods?
> TIA

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Don't think it's downloading them, as it's instantaneous - my broadband
> isn't that quick!
> The program looks like it might do the job though - but the readme gave
> enough clues as to where the driver is coming from - C:/Windows/driver
> cache/i386/driver.cab - and sure enough a search finds plenty of NV.sys &
> NV.dll files there, so I reckon if they were deleted it would do the
trick.
> BTW I think the reason there is no ability to change the FX5900 to a
> standard VGA card in device manager is because it is detected by Windows
as
> 'unknown device' at first, and it is only after installing drivers that it
> goes up the list into the 'display adaptor' section - maybe?

I do not know the exact C:\Windows\ folder setup that XP Pro uses, but my
copy of XP Home yielded some very interesting sub folders that the OS
stashes NV files of various types. Just performed a search of the OS folder
looking for NV*.* to find any strange places that they may be.

There are the obvious locations of;
Windows\inf
Windows\System32

Then there are the "secondary" locations of;
Windows\System32\dllcache
Windows\System32\drivers

Then we arrive at the esoteric locations;
Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
I would have thought that this location would have been for storing MS
Windows Update information. I have NEVER used WinUpdate for upgrading my
drivers. Makes me curious as to where these files came from. FYI, there are
6 files in there, so I do not believe that it would be a "re-install backup"
location.

The real kicker is this folder;
Windows\system32\ReinstallBackups\0011\DriverFiles
Sounds rather suspicious to me :)

With this info in hand, I might recommend the following sequence;
Go to http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/ and click on the "File Utilities"
link on the left side of the page. Choose to download the "GiPo@MoveOnBoot"
utility and then install. This is a pretty cool little tool that will let
you delete files, through a selection when you right click on the file, that
are currently in use the next time you boot up your PC. Be careful, as any
files deleted with this tool are NOT removed and placed in your recycle bin!
They are gone for good.

Check to see if your C:\ drive has an NVidia folder on it. Depending on how
you last installed drivers, this may be there. This is the "original
location" for the installation of your current drivers. This is the first
place that your PC would look for drivers. This folder is safe to delete, so
make it so.

Delete your NVidia drivers using Control Panel, do not reboot (yet).

Run Detonator R.I.P. to clean up the Registry and (hopefully) remove all
remaining NV files. Do not reboot yet.

Perform a search of your Operating System partition for any remaining NV
files. If the gods be willing, any that you find will already be "tagged"
for deletion on reboot. But we are going to be a bit paranoid here, and
select any that are found by right clicking on them and selecting to delete
on the next boot, using the previously installed GiPo@MoveOnBoot utility. I
have never yet (knock on wood) had any conflict between a programs uninstall
or MSWindows Add/Remove utility and the GiPo program.

Now you can reboot your system. (Note that if you are REALLY paranoid about
your PC possibly downloading "unknown" drivers from some where on the
internet, just disconnect your PC from your modem/ADSL/Cable/whatever before
powering back up.)

Your PC will (should?) have no choice but to install the basic VGA drivers
to run your monitor, IF all of the NVidia files are gone. You should now be
able to install your new driver package without any problems.

Good Luck
Bob

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"Bob" <dewop@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> [...]
delete
> on the next boot, using the previously installed GiPo@MoveOnBoot utility.
> have never yet (knock on wood) had any conflict between a programs
uninstall
> or MSWindows Add/Remove utility and the GiPo program.
>
> Now you can reboot your system. (Note that if you are REALLY paranoid
about
> your PC possibly downloading "unknown" drivers from some where on the
> internet, just disconnect your PC from your modem/ADSL/Cable/whatever
before
> powering back up.)
>
> Your PC will (should?) have no choice but to install the basic VGA drivers
> to run your monitor, IF all of the NVidia files are gone. You should now
be
> able to install your new driver package without any problems.

Going by the file dates, I think
Windows\system32\ReinstallBackups\00xx\DriverFiles are the 'rollback' driver
files that Windows makes when updating the driver from device manager...

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht

> "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> > >No , 'fraid not
> >
> > Yes there is. You are using Windows XP Home right? I think the pro
version
> does
> > it differently.
> >
> > Go to device manager, click on display adapters, right click on your
video
> card
> > and then properties. Then click on driver tab and there is a button
there
> > update drivers.
> >
> > When I click on update drivers I am given the option to "install from a
> list or
> > specified location" or "install automatically"
> I'm XP Pro, and when I do get the two choices as you detail, but when I
> choose 'install from a list...' I get no list of devices, it is a blank
> box - the only option available is the 'have disk' button.
>

>I have same version and same thing you describe. Press "have disk" and
browse to the location where you have the drivers you want.
Ignore the warnings about older drivers etc,it goes just fine.I have
installed many driver versions on other os and in this case i tested and
searched for problems.
Upto now i find no probs,seems it works flawness,no double or wrong registry
entries etc.Just make sure you are not connected to the internet and you
have auto-update set to off.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:45:22 GMT "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> meeped :

>If auto-update is disabled I don't think it can be downloading drivers from
>the 'net, I reckon you are having exactly the same issue as me and it is
>dates are when I installed XP pro inc SP1). SO perhaps you could try
>Private1964's suggestion of cancelling it from the start bar?

You could rename file "driver.cab" before you reboot.
This is were the system keeps the default nvidia driver set.

here...............
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:32:44 GMT Granulated <doh@troublesomeodoursfreeuk.com>
meeped :

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:45:22 GMT "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> meeped :
>
>>If auto-update is disabled I don't think it can be downloading drivers from
>>the 'net, I reckon you are having exactly the same issue as me and it is
>>dates are when I installed XP pro inc SP1). SO perhaps you could try
>>Private1964's suggestion of cancelling it from the start bar?
>>

>You could rename file "driver.cab" before you reboot.
>This is were the system keeps the default nvidia driver set.

>C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

oh...AND "sp1.cab"
--