nVidia cards compatible with sis748 chipset?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2004 7:04:08 AM

I'm having real problems with the graphics on my new set-up. On every game
I've tried that makes use of 3D acceleration I get wildly flashing polygons
e.g. MS Flight Sim 2002, 2004 & Medal of Honor

I've used two Leadtek A360 FX5700LE cards and an MSI 5600LX in combination
with DirectX 8.1, 9.0a and 9.0c but the problem still remains. The OS is Win
XP pro and I've tried the base install, SP1 and SP2.

I'm guessing that the fault may lie with the mobo which is an Asrock K7S8XE
based on the SIS 748 chipset (although SiSoft says it's a 746 chipset??).
I've tried the latest BIOS and AGP drivers from Asrock and I've used about 5
different versions of nVidia drivers - including the ones that came out a
couple of days ago.

Anyone else using this combination? Any similar graphics issues?

I've spent a week trying to fix this problem and I'm on the verge of giving
up. Maybe I should just junk my 1-week old mobo.

David
July 25, 2004 11:54:07 PM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:04:08 +0100, David Morgan wrote:

> I'm guessing that the fault may lie with the mobo which is an Asrock K7S8XE

I have the K7S8X (no E) and my Geforce4 was running fine with it (until I
destroyed the card in an unfortunate upgrade accident).
I'm getting an FX5700 in a day or two so I'll let you know if it works.
In the meantime, you might want to un-install and re-install your drivers
to see if that fixes things.
Are by any chance dual booting with Linux? If so, is the same problem in
Linux too?
Are you overclocking at all?

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

"jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.25.17.54.06.107921@fatcat.delicats.net...

> In the meantime, you might want to un-install and re-install your drivers
> to see if that fixes things.

Done that a few times. Even done a reformat and re-install of the OS plus
all fixes, service packs and drivers.

> Are by any chance dual booting with Linux? If so, is the same problem in
> Linux too?

No. Just XP.

> Are you overclocking at all?

No. The only changes I've made to the BIOS are reducing GP speed/window to
see if that improved matters - it didn't.

David
Related resources
July 26, 2004 1:49:42 AM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:29:27 +0100, David Morgan wrote:

> "jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.07.25.17.54.06.107921@fatcat.delicats.net...
>
>> In the meantime, you might want to un-install and re-install your drivers
>> to see if that fixes things.
>
> Done that a few times. Even done a reformat and re-install of the OS plus
> all fixes, service packs and drivers.

What about heat? Does the problem rear it's ugly head all the time, or
only after a while? Try running with the case open for a while.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623
http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 1:49:43 AM

"jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message > What about heat? Does
the problem rear it's ugly head all the time, or
> only after a while? Try running with the case open for a while.

No it's constant, even just after the PC has been powered up. Anyway the CPU
doesn't get above 47C after a few hours use.

It's got to be the motherboard. I'm going to junk this Asrock and get
something with a different chipset in a couple of days. I don't kow what
yet.

--
David
!