are the 6800 non-ultra cards good ?

I'd be upgrading from the 5600 ultra. But I don't have enough for the 6800
ultra or gt version. Would there be signifigant gains going from the
5600ultra to the 6800 ? Im sure there would be but maybe someone here might
have one or experience with one that they can give me some suggestions. TIA

System specs:
2600+ xp
512mb

You won't get much benefit from a 6800 unless you also have a good
processor, such as a 64bit 3800.. If you can't afford to upgrade the
processor, I'd go for a 5950 ultra

--
huLLy
"arias" <georgearias@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'd be upgrading from the 5600 ultra. But I don't have enough for the 6800
> ultra or gt version. Would there be signifigant gains going from the
> 5600ultra to the 6800 ? Im sure there would be but maybe someone here
might
> have one or experience with one that they can give me some suggestions.
TIA

> System specs:
> 2600+ xp
> 512mb

> You won't get much benefit from a 6800 unless you also have a good
> processor, such as a 64bit 3800.. If you can't afford to upgrade the
> processor, I'd go for a 5950 ultra

No offence but: Damn u have NO clue!

And yes, the 6800GT will be the pick of the bunch.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:44:42 +0100 "huLLy" <hully@despammed.com> meeped :

>You won't get much benefit from a 6800 unless you also have a good
>processor, such as a 64bit 3800.. If you can't afford to upgrade the
>processor, I'd go for a 5950 ultra

the 6800 non ultras can be found for less than some 5950's !!

the 6800 will give a massive boost from your 5600
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"huLLy" <hully@despammed.com> wrote in message
> You won't get much benefit from a 6800 unless you also have a good
> processor, such as a 64bit 3800.. If you can't afford to upgrade the
> processor, I'd go for a 5950 ultra

Bad answer. A 6800GT will show a massive gain on an XP2600 system.

> > You won't get much benefit from a 6800 unless you also have a good
> > processor, such as a 64bit 3800.. If you can't afford to upgrade the
> > processor, I'd go for a 5950 ultra
>
> Bad answer. A 6800GT will show a massive gain on an XP2600 system.

Indeed - he had NO clue.

> A 6800GT will show a massive gain on an XP2600 system.

The original post was actually asking about the regular 6800 -- i.e. not the
Ultra or GT. I've been curious about this as well. It seems like there has
been very little written about the regular 6800, which is odd since this
card will undoubtedly outsell the more expensive higher end cards. The
reviews seem to be concentrating on the highest end version of these cards,
which are prohibitively expensive for the bulk of the consumer base. Does
anyone know of any thorough comparison reviews using the regular 6800 vs the
higher end FX line as well as the GT and Ultra?

Thanks,

Larry

"Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > A 6800GT will show a massive gain on an XP2600 system.
>
> The original post was actually asking about the regular 6800 -- i.e. not
the
> Ultra or GT. I've been curious about this as well. It seems like there
has
> been very little written about the regular 6800, which is odd since this
> card will undoubtedly outsell the more expensive higher end cards. The
> reviews seem to be concentrating on the highest end version of these
cards,
> which are prohibitively expensive for the bulk of the consumer base. Does
> anyone know of any thorough comparison reviews using the regular 6800 vs
the
> higher end FX line as well as the GT and Ultra?

I have not seen the regular 6800 card but I do see / use / test with GT and
the Ultra only.

CapFusion,...

> And yes, the 6800GT will be the pick of the bunch.

I can't figure out why everyone is so keen on the 6800GT. The last "picks
of the bunch" that I remember were:
FX5900XT and Ti4200, both with a MSRP of $200. The GT weighs in with a
MSRP of $400.