Ultra DMA, Controller Card and Modes Question

Greets.

I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21

I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
sr-2

My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
am I stuck at mode 2??

Thanks!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about ultra controller card modes question

    Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
    newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
    60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.

    Brock wrote:

    > Greets.
    >
    > I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
    > which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
    > revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
    >
    > I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
    > sr-2
    >
    > My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
    > mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
    > am I stuck at mode 2??
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    A new IDE controller card capable of DMA mode 5 would work, but I doubt that you
    would see enough improvment in performance to justify buying and installing one.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:09:39 -0500, Brock <brock@fungo.net> wrote:

    >Greets.
    >
    >I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
    >which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
    >revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
    >
    >I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
    >sr-2
    >
    >My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
    >mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
    >am I stuck at mode 2??
    >
    >Thanks!!!

    I remain skeptical of the real benefits here, but you never know... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:50 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
    >newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
    >60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.
    >

    >Brock wrote:
    >>
    >> Greets.
    >>
    >> I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
    >> which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
    >> revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
    >>
    >> I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
    >> sr-2
    >>
    >> My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
    >> mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
    >> am I stuck at mode 2??
    >>
    >> Thanks!!!

    Thanks for the answers and opinions as well, guys. :) I wasn't sure if
    my mobo bios would restrict me but I think the I/O cards have their
    own bios?

    I'll try to do some benchmarking and try to see what the gains
    actually are once I get it in there. Looks like I'll prolly pick up
    the Promise Ultra100 TX2 or something similar.

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:17:25 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >I remain skeptical of the real benefits here, but you never know... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:50 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
    >>newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
    >>60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.
    >>

    >>Brock wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Greets.
    >>>
    >>> I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
    >>> which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
    >>> revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
    >>>
    >>> I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
    >>> sr-2
    >>>
    >>> My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
    >>> mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
    >>> am I stuck at mode 2??
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!!!

    I/O cards like the Promise Ultra 100 have their own BIOS to either supplement or
    replace the motherboard BIOS... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:39:37 -0500, Brock <brock@fungo.net> wrote:

    >Thanks for the answers and opinions as well, guys. :) I wasn't sure if
    >my mobo bios would restrict me but I think the I/O cards have their
    >own bios?
    >
    > I'll try to do some benchmarking and try to see what the gains
    >actually are once I get it in there. Looks like I'll prolly pick up
    >the Promise Ultra100 TX2 or something similar.
    >
    >On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:17:25 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    >(Ben Myers) wrote:
    >
    >>I remain skeptical of the real benefits here, but you never know... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:50 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
    >>>newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
    >>>60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.

Gateway DMA Controller Western Digital Computers