assigning ip addresses in wireless network

Last response: in Networking
August 27, 2005 11:01:37 AM

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any advantage
to assigning IP addresses to the computers on my wireless network. I
have a linksys WRK54G router and 2 desktops and 2 laptops on my
network. All four are running XP. At least once or twice a week the
network will drop one of my computers and I cannot get it connected
until I unplug the router and then plug it back in. I am wondering if
assigning IP addresses will help me avoid this problem.

Also one of my laptops is my work computer. If I assign it an IP
address at home that is different than the one it uses to connect at my
office, will I be creating additional problems for myself?
Thanks for your help.
Ken
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:43:57 PM

Thanks a lot Duane, I appreciate your help. Maybe I'll try updating
the firmware and see if that improves things before I assign IP
addresses.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:16:22 PM

"kmd4000@remove.hotmail.com" <kmd4000@gmail.com> wrote in

> Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any advantage
> to assigning IP addresses to the computers on my wireless network. I
> have a linksys WRK54G router and 2 desktops and 2 laptops on my
> network. All four are running XP. At least once or twice a week the
> network will drop one of my computers and I cannot get it connected
> until I unplug the router and then plug it back in. I am wondering if
> assigning IP addresses will help me avoid this problem.

I don't think that's going to fix your problem. If the router is dropping
the connection or the a computer is loosing the connection, that's most
likely an equipment issue or something else that is not related to the
assigning of an IP by the DHCP server of the router or you configuring a
static IP from the router to the computer's NIC.

> Also one of my laptops is my work computer. If I assign it an IP
> address at home that is different than the one it uses to connect at my
> office, will I be creating additional problems for myself?
> Thanks for your help.

If the computer is obtaining an IP form a DHCP server of course there will
be no problem. However, if you configure the computer's NIC to use a static
IP, then you'll need to change the NIC's IP information such as the Gateway
IP being used at work as to the one being used on your router and the DNS
IP(s) between your job's network and your ISP's.

However XP has a feature in the O/S that allows you to configure multiple
configurations for a single NIC and there are also 3rd party tools that can
do it too -- use Google or www.dogpile.com. I don't know it will work for
you in a wireless situation.

Duane :)