AGP transfer mechanism: disabled

Ralph

UGH!
So yesterday, amidst a flurry of driver updates etc.. I lost my ability to
play any game that uses direct3d.

Powerstrip reports that my AGP transfer mechanism is disabled, and my video
card (according to dxdiag) has no memory.
I'm using a geforce4ti4200 with various drivers including 61.76

From what I have figured out so far from hours of google'ing and tinkering
is that it seems to be a motherboard thing. I have tried many different AGP
drivers for my P4SE including drivers from Asus's site and SIS's site. I
have uninstalled drivers in safe mode and reinstalled many times.. nothing I
do makes a difference. I have enabled and disabled every possible AGP
setting in the bios. I have also read that other people have had this same
problem, and while most people fixed things by a way of a new AGP driver,
some have even resorted to a complete OS reinstall, to no avail. I have no
idea what the heck happened. All I did was hook up a DVI cable to my HDTV
from the DVI connector (and have since unhooked it), installed 61.76,
powerstrip and rivatuner. I have uninstalled everything that I installed
that might have caused the problem to start with.

Any ideas? I'm at my ropes end here!

Craig.

"ralph" <machio@karatekid.com> wrote in message
> UGH!
/snip
> Any ideas? I'm at my ropes end here!
>
> Craig.

Sounds like to me that you have cluttered your system with excess drivers
and 3rd party utilities. Sometimes drivers are not completely uninstalled
even through safe mode and are left to clutter your OS and thus trying to
install updated drivers will not work since the old ones are still there and
the new ones will not overwrite necesary files required for the new drivers.

best thing i can come up with is starting from scratch with a reinstall of
your OS. after that is done, dont install all those extra programs that are
not needed. and stick to the basic drivers needed to run the system (of
course using all the updated drivers).

>and my video
>card (according to dxdiag) has no memory.

Your video card has amnesia thats the first time I have heard of that.

>I'm using a geforce4ti4200 with various drivers including 61.76

Use the 44.03's. I've been using them for the longest time with no problems.
They are stable and the quickest for the 4200.

> All I did was hook up a DVI cable to my HDTV
>from the DVI connector

You might need to use the newer drivers for DVI, but I would still try the
44.03's first.

Usually with something llike AGP it's related to the chipset drivers, OS, video
drivers or hardware.

I would try older chipset drivers, install video drivers and then DirectX 9.0b
Reinstalling the OS would probably fix it, but that should be your last resort.

"ralph" <machio@karatekid.com> wrote in message
> UGH!
> So yesterday, amidst a flurry of driver updates etc.. I lost my ability to
> play any game that uses direct3d.
>
> Powerstrip reports that my AGP transfer mechanism is disabled, and my
video
> card (according to dxdiag) has no memory.
> I'm using a geforce4ti4200 with various drivers including 61.76
>
> From what I have figured out so far from hours of google'ing and tinkering
> is that it seems to be a motherboard thing. I have tried many different
AGP
> drivers for my P4SE including drivers from Asus's site and SIS's site. I
> have uninstalled drivers in safe mode and reinstalled many times.. nothing
> do makes a difference. I have enabled and disabled every possible AGP
> setting in the bios. I have also read that other people have had this
same
> problem, and while most people fixed things by a way of a new AGP driver,
> some have even resorted to a complete OS reinstall, to no avail. I have
no
> idea what the heck happened. All I did was hook up a DVI cable to my HDTV
> from the DVI connector (and have since unhooked it), installed 61.76,
> powerstrip and rivatuner. I have uninstalled everything that I installed
> that might have caused the problem to start with.
>
> Any ideas? I'm at my ropes end here!

Eventhough you meantion that you went to safemode to try to uninstall all
the driver. Try goto safemode one more time prior to reinstall your OS from
scratch. From safemode, goto device manage to remove any extra device that
should not be there. Check back Add/Remove Program and see if you can remove
any driver. Run any MoBo util driver / patches to uninstall. Restart Windows
and reinstall the MoBo patch / driver.

If you are using Windows 2000/XP or similar, can you use backup / roleback
to the previous working stage or the history? Otherwise, you may need to
reinstall from fresh.

This behavior normally a driver curruption.

If you want to prevent this problem again, try using a backup copy of your
OS prior to install any driver or anything. Use DiskImage / Ghost or similar
tools.

CapFusion,....