  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2004 6:11:56 PM

I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo M925LR
and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics adapter to
PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video or
other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that came
with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
(connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot process
seems to stop.

Please advise.

More about : install video card problem

July 27, 2004 6:11:57 PM

I assume you have an AGP Video card from the 8x description. So setting the
motherboard to PCI makes no sense to me. In you bios you should be able to
turn off the onboard video and then you should then set it to AGP.

"JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo
M925LR
> and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics adapter
> PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video or
> other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that came
> with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
> (connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot
process
> seems to stop.
>
> Please advise.

July 27, 2004 7:11:12 PM

Is this an AGP or PCI card? I think that the MX series were available both
ways, the "8x" part of your description makes it sound like it is an AGP
card. Try resetting your BIOS to AGP and see what happens.

Bob

"JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo
M925LR
> and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics adapter
> PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video or
> other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that came
> with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
> (connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot
process
> seems to stop.
>
> Please advise.

a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2004 7:29:37 PM

Thanks. I've already done that without success.
"Bob" <dewop@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Is this an AGP or PCI card? I think that the MX series were available both
> ways, the "8x" part of your description makes it sound like it is an AGP
> card. Try resetting your BIOS to AGP and see what happens.
>
> Bob
>
> "JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo
> M925LR
> > and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics
adapter
> > PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video
or
> > other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that
came
> > with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
> > (connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot
> process
> > seems to stop.
> >
> > Please advise.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2004 7:33:15 PM

Thanks. My BIOS does not give me the option to turn off onboard video(at
least it doesn't say "on board video" or any other on/off option). The PCI
idea came from the MoBo mfg.?

"OZMAN" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> I assume you have an AGP Video card from the 8x description. So setting
the
> motherboard to PCI makes no sense to me. In you bios you should be able
> turn off the onboard video and then you should then set it to AGP.
>
> "JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo
> M925LR
> > and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics
adapter
> > PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video
or
> > other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that
came
> > with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
> > (connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot
> process
> > seems to stop.
> >
> > Please advise.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2004 7:33:16 PM

> Thanks. My BIOS does not give me the option to turn off onboard video(at
> least it doesn't say "on board video" or any other on/off option). The PCI
> idea came from the MoBo mfg.?

Ok.... so you can not turn of your Onboard VGA. I still do not have a sense
if it a AGP or PCI type.
Assume it a AGP card, try setting your intialization or startup as PCI.
While your PC is booting up and seem to stop. Can you check by attach to
onboard VGA or the MX440-8x card to see if there any display? If both
monitor seem to be blank, then check if there a cursor blinking from a upper
left corner or so?

Also have you check if there a jumper on the MoBo to disable the onboard
VGA?
Also check if there any BIOS update to allow automatic disable feature from
the new update BIOS.

CapFusion,....
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 6:22:38 AM

Thanks.
1. I've set initialization or startup as PCI and it not make a difference.
2. There is no display, blinker or otherwise.
3. There is no jumper available.
4. How would I update BIOS if necessary?

"CapFusion" <CapeFussion...@hotmail.., com> wrote in message

> "JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks. My BIOS does not give me the option to turn off onboard video(at
> > least it doesn't say "on board video" or any other on/off option). The
PCI
> > idea came from the MoBo mfg.?
> >

> Ok.... so you can not turn of your Onboard VGA. I still do not have a
sense
> if it a AGP or PCI type.
> Assume it a AGP card, try setting your intialization or startup as PCI.
> While your PC is booting up and seem to stop. Can you check by attach to
> onboard VGA or the MX440-8x card to see if there any display? If both
> monitor seem to be blank, then check if there a cursor blinking from a
upper
> left corner or so?
>
> Also have you check if there a jumper on the MoBo to disable the onboard
> VGA?
> Also check if there any BIOS update to allow automatic disable feature
from
> the new update BIOS.
>
> CapFusion,....

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 3:13:39 PM

"JI" <jhi88@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o 5ENc.142873$OB3.27143@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks.
> 1. I've set initialization or startup as PCI and it not make a difference.
> 2. There is no display, blinker or otherwise.
> 3. There is no jumper available.
> 4. How would I update BIOS if necessary?

Check the MoBo for any BIOS update.
If there no update BIOS, you are SOL and option.

Also, can you check this MX440-8x on anothe PC and see if problem follow?
Try find a MoBo without any built-in VGA.

If still no display from another PC / MoBo, you may have a bad MX440-8x
card.

CapFusion,...
!