6800 ultra + 480W power supply. INSUFFICIENT

Toby

I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

Rest of system; athlon 2800+ 333FSB
512 MB corsair mem 2700
80G Maxtor HD
Abit NF7S Mainboard
Poineer DVD

Nothing overclocked,

On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has detected
that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
speed to ensure stability.

This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
enough power - has anyone had similar issues?Could all the fans in the case
(5 of + PSU fan and CPU fan) cause a drain on the power??
How do I check the function of the PSU? Could it be faulty?
Does anyone own the Aopen version of the card? if so how have you found it?
I'm going to try downloading the latest drivers to see if that makes a
difference.

TIA

Toby

In the future, might I suggest to RTFM.

Maybe I was lucky, but in my eVGA 6800GT box, there was a 5"x8" card with
about a 20pt font saying "Connecting the GeForce 6800 to a Power Supply",
with 3 color pictures showing how to connect it, and a paragraph detailing
the process. I'm sure something similar was mentioned in your manual.

"Toby" <spud@tato.com> wrote in message news:4106a754$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
> installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
> Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
> connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra
>
> Rest of system; athlon 2800+ 333FSB
> 512 MB corsair mem 2700
> 80G Maxtor HD
> Abit NF7S Mainboard
> Poineer DVD
>
> Nothing overclocked,
>
> On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has detected
> that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
> speed to ensure stability.
>
> This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
> enough power - has anyone had similar issues?Could all the fans in the
case
> (5 of + PSU fan and CPU fan) cause a drain on the power??
> How do I check the function of the PSU? Could it be faulty?
> Does anyone own the Aopen version of the card? if so how have you found
it?
> I'm going to try downloading the latest drivers to see if that makes a
> difference.
>
> TIA
>
> Toby

> On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has detected
> that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
> speed to ensure stability.

Did u connect the power to the 2 molex? . . .

Toby

I have now connected both molex leads and given the card it own dedicated
power line from the PSU - this seems to have solved the problem - Painkiller
is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card radeon 9700 pro)
glad to to back with Nvidia (still have my Geforce 3 in my other PC and will
keep it too and sell the radeon).

Still amazed that I had the power issue at all - my next purchase will be
400Mhz memory (1Gb) and a 3200 athlon , I just hope that these won't cause
more power supply probs!!!

Anyway - thanks for your prompt responce

"Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> wrote in message
> > On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has
detected
> > that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
> > speed to ensure stability.
>
> Did u connect the power to the 2 molex? . . .

>This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
>enough power - has anyone had similar issues?

As far as I know they lowered the required wattage for the 6800 from 480 down
to 350 minimum. I would think you should have more then enough power also.
Maybe the supply is not putting out 480 watts.

JB

Toby wrote:
> I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
> installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
> Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
> connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

I'm using a 300watt supply with my BFG6800U OC (446/1.18G GPU/mem),
works fine. My card is for sale, BTW.

Jeff B

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:14:05 GMT, JB <fake@addy.com> wrote:

>Toby wrote:
>> I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
>> installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
>> Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
>> connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra
>
>I'm using a 300watt supply with my BFG6800U OC (446/1.18G GPU/mem),
>works fine. My card is for sale, BTW.

WHY ????????????

If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.

John Lewis

>Jeff B

Toby

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
> >enough power - has anyone had similar issues?
>
> As far as I know they lowered the required wattage for the 6800 from 480
down
> to 350 minimum. I would think you should have more then enough power also.
> Maybe the supply is not putting out 480 watts.

That's what I was thinking - I may get it checked out.

TX

"- Painkiller > is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card
radeon 9700 pro)

Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro

"Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "- Painkiller > is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card
> radeon 9700 pro)
>

> Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro

Same here, there was one specific scene where it kept crashing but it was a
game thing.

Toby

I was never really happy with it, I found it very twitchy with a lot of
games (although, rather amazingly, I went through the whole of Halo with
hardly a problem). There may have been other issues (last PSU may have been
underpowered at 250W). Still each to their own.

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "- Painkiller > is running really well (kept on crashing with my old
card
> > radeon 9700 pro)
> >

> > Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro
> >

> Same here, there was one specific scene where it kept crashing but it was
> game thing.

JB

> WHY ????????????

Going with the x800xt.

> If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.

Of course I'm not having 'driver issues', there have never been
any "issues" with these cards, drivers or otherwise, that
materially affect the usefulness of these cards for end users.
John Lewis is the only person on planet Earth who has knowledge
of "driver issues".

Jeff B

"JB" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message

> Going with the x800xt.
> >
> > If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.
>
> Of course I'm not having 'driver issues', there have never been
> any "issues" with these cards, drivers or otherwise, that
> materially affect the usefulness of these cards for end users.
> John Lewis is the only person on planet Earth who has knowledge
> of "driver issues".
>
> Jeff B

Bullshit.