Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Did my files corrupt or did I get infected?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 20, 2010 9:21:54 PM

Hello everyone!

Yesterday something very odd happened: I was trying to uninstall some stupid Logitech crap off my PC and the installer froze so I had to close it but when I did (and explorer restarted) my icons were gone and so were my documents (starts dropping F bombs here)! So I tried to do a system restore only to realize Windows cant even access my account or my files anymore from, my desktop only has 2 icons (Computer and recycle bin) fence still seems to see them tough (somehow) but I can't I also cant create a new account or turn on guest account and since Windows cant access my files it goes on temporary user account were system restore pops-up but not on the other account it never loads. Even when it restarts it never completes and fails and restores. Is it a virus? I scanned with Kapersky, it`s rescue disc and Malwarebytes and they found nothing. Yet all my program files are there and so are my files and my programs still run.

Please help!

More about : files corrupt infected

a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 11:22:56 PM

Sounds like a system repair might be required. Try to run it when restarting with a Windows disk in place.
PS. I never use logitech drivers on my PC. Had problems with them before and never got myself around trusting them again. The MS generic drivers do the job most of the time and if not, then I don't need logitech hardware.
/ rant
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 10:43:52 AM

house70 said:
Sounds like a system repair might be required. Try to run it when restarting with a Windows disk in place.
PS. I never use logitech drivers on my PC. Had problems with them before and never got myself around trusting them again. The MS generic drivers do the job most of the time and if not, then I don't need logitech hardware.
/ rant

Ok but will it delete all my files?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2010 11:29:10 AM

A repair should not do that. As with any radical attempt to fix PCs, a backup of the important files is always indicated. If you have access to them, I would recommend doing so. If you can't access them, you have 2 options:
- just go ahead and do the repair procedure; at that point what do you have to lose, or
- if another system is available, mount this HDD on that system as an secondary or an external drive, save what you need, then put it back in the original system and run the repair.
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 11:34:25 AM

house70 said:
A repair should not do that. As with any radical attempt to fix PCs, a backup of the important files is always indicated. If you have access to them, I would recommend doing so. If you can't access them, you have 2 options:
- just go ahead and do the repair procedure; at that point what do you have to lose, or
- if another system is available, mount this HDD on that system as an secondary or an external drive, save what you need, then put it back in the original system and run the repair.

The thing is I can access windows but I cant acess my account.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2010 12:13:19 PM

At this point I would access my files from the HDD mounted as an external HDD on another system. When doing that, you can explore the HDD for various files and folders just like any other external drive. That should help with backing up what files you need backed up. This would be a precaution taken in case the repair fails and a new OS installation will be needed.
A repair however should NOT delete any of your settings or programs already installed. I am talking about extra steps just in case the repair itself fails.

And another thing I just thought about: you could always try this before anything else:
run > sfc /scannow
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 1:54:23 PM

house70 said:
At this point I would access my files from the HDD mounted as an external HDD on another system. When doing that, you can explore the HDD for various files and folders just like any other external drive. That should help with backing up what files you need backed up. This would be a precaution taken in case the repair fails and a new OS installation will be needed.
A repair however should NOT delete any of your settings or programs already installed. I am talking about extra steps just in case the repair itself fails.

And another thing I just thought about: you could always try this before anything else:
run > sfc /scannow

Thanks for the help but everything I do fails. I'm gonna mount my old HDD Back up my crap in Unbuntu. If that dosent work off to my local PC store I go!
m
0
l
!