Gainward GeForce 6800 "Golden Sample" - WOW !

They are clocking the GPU at 400MHZ! If Newegg's got the specs right.
That's 6800 ULTRA speed, isn't it?

But look what it takes to keep it cool.

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-193&depa=0

Might not be a bad deal since they warranty the card at that speed. Plus
it has 2.5ns memory which should overclock past the stock 700MHz.

JB

wgd wrote:
> They are clocking the GPU at 400MHZ! If Newegg's got the specs right.
> That's 6800 ULTRA speed, isn't it?

Yeah, real exciting (yawn...) especially with only 700 Mhz mem speed.
Not to mention only 12 pipes.

> But look what it takes to keep it cool.

That cooloing solution is extra loud. Not only do you have
the sum of the noise of two fans, you have their beat frequency
noise to boot, which is worse than the normal fan noise.

Jeff B

JB wrote:

> wgd wrote:
>
>> They are clocking the GPU at 400MHZ! If Newegg's got the specs right.
>> That's 6800 ULTRA speed, isn't it?
>

> Yeah, real exciting (yawn...) especially with only 700 Mhz mem speed.
> Not to mention only 12 pipes.
>

>> But look what it takes to keep it cool.
>

> That cooloing solution is extra loud. Not only do you have
> the sum of the noise of two fans, you have their beat frequency
> noise to boot, which is worse than the normal fan noise.
>
> Jeff B

Generally, these types of systems aren't that loud. Most of the fans
aren't any noiser than ambient (40-50db room noise). Inside a case they
don't contribute much.

And what's this BS about 12 pipes being inadquate? I hope that was
sarcastic. The GS cards have always been fairly good in the past, it's
just the regular and low end Gainwards I don't trust :)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:09:59 -0400, wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:

>They are clocking the GPU at 400MHZ! If Newegg's got the specs right.
>That's 6800 ULTRA speed, isn't it?
>
>But look what it takes to keep it cool.
>
>www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-193&depa=0
>
>Might not be a bad deal since they warranty the card at that speed. Plus
>it has 2.5ns memory which should overclock past the stock 700MHz.

Gainward uses the cheapest caps and components. I have had 2 of their
cards in the past and both had hardware flaws that brought my
system(s) to its knees. They offered RMA's but screw-em' - life is too
short to waste. I just trashed em' and finally went with Chaintech -
so much better!

"Rainee Durl" <doggiedog@scoopers.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:09:59 -0400, wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
>
> >They are clocking the GPU at 400MHZ! If Newegg's got the specs right.
> >That's 6800 ULTRA speed, isn't it?
> >
> >But look what it takes to keep it cool.
> >
> >www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-193&depa=0
> >
> >Might not be a bad deal since they warranty the card at that speed. Plus
> >it has 2.5ns memory which should overclock past the stock 700MHz.
>

> Gainward uses the cheapest caps and components. I have had 2 of their
> cards in the past and both had hardware flaws that brought my
> system(s) to its knees. They offered RMA's but screw-em' - life is too
> short to waste. I just trashed em' and finally went with Chaintech -
> so much better!

It cost me 5.00 & 5 mins to send back 2 of our ti4200s (purple checkerboard
screen of death when cold issue). Got them back in under 10 days. Both of
the new cards Overclocked to 4400s & I bet woulda overclocked to 4600's with
some HSs glued on the RAM.

Why trash them? Even if you got new, they coulda been used in other boxes,
sold on Ebay, gave away to friends/family.

You got the batch of Gainward cards with the leaking capacitors, didn't you?

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:21:55 GMT JB <fake@addy.com> meeped :

>Yeah, real exciting (yawn...) especially with only 700 Mhz mem speed.
>Not to mention only 12 pipes.

"Only" 12...you're taking the piss, right ?
--