Driver reported AGP speed capability incorrect

JS

I have a PNY FX5700Ultra graphics card with the 61.76 driver and the
coolbits2 reg mod installed. I have noticed that with the 61.76 driver
and the 56.04 driver the AGP speed capability reported for this
card is 2X. I know that this card is capable of running up to 8X. I also
know that the 52.13 driver correctly reports the AGP capacbilty as 8x.
Anybody have any ideas about why the AGP capability is being reported
incorrectly by the newer drivers? The drivers all report the motherboard
AGP speed capablity incorrectly as 2X. I know that it is 4X. Any ideas
on this as well? I would like to get my system to run at 4X if at all
possible. It currently runs 2X. I realize this may not produce much of a
boost, but with my system I need every little bit I can get.

Thanks Much for any assistance you can provide.
JS

Video card: PNY FX5700Ultra, 128MByte, 8X
Current Video Driver: 61.76, Coolbits2 installed
M/B: HP (ASUS Pegasus) VIA Apollo Pro133A/T, VT82C59B SouthBridge
CPU: PentiumIII 733MHz
O/S: Win98SE, 768MBytes PC133 SDRAM

I once had the same motherboard (Asus P3V4x). VIA's chipset implementation
just wasn't that robust and cannot maintain 4x reliably. If you slapped a
Radeon 9800 in there, I wouldn't be surprised if ATi's SmartGART driver
panel also displayed 2x.

No matter, though, as there won't be a speed boost with 4x enabled. There is
a sizable improvement between PCI mode and 1x, and some less drastic jumps
between 1x and 2x, but next to nothing between 2x and 4x/8x. See:
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=554

"JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
> I have a PNY FX5700Ultra graphics card with the 61.76 driver and the
> coolbits2 reg mod installed. I have noticed that with the 61.76 driver
> and the 56.04 driver the AGP speed capability reported for this
> card is 2X. I know that this card is capable of running up to 8X. I also
> know that the 52.13 driver correctly reports the AGP capacbilty as 8x.
> Anybody have any ideas about why the AGP capability is being reported
> incorrectly by the newer drivers? The drivers all report the motherboard
> AGP speed capablity incorrectly as 2X. I know that it is 4X. Any ideas
> on this as well? I would like to get my system to run at 4X if at all
> possible. It currently runs 2X. I realize this may not produce much of a
> boost, but with my system I need every little bit I can get.
>
> Thanks Much for any assistance you can provide.
> JS
>
> Video card: PNY FX5700Ultra, 128MByte, 8X
> Current Video Driver: 61.76, Coolbits2 installed
> M/B: HP (ASUS Pegasus) VIA Apollo Pro133A/T, VT82C59B SouthBridge
> CPU: PentiumIII 733MHz
> O/S: Win98SE, 768MBytes PC133 SDRAM

ME

the chipset is 2x agp that is what the card will run at....not even a nudge
faster
> I once had the same motherboard (Asus P3V4x). VIA's chipset implementation
> just wasn't that robust and cannot maintain 4x reliably. If you slapped a
> Radeon 9800 in there, I wouldn't be surprised if ATi's SmartGART driver
> panel also displayed 2x.
>
> No matter, though, as there won't be a speed boost with 4x enabled. There
is
> a sizable improvement between PCI mode and 1x, and some less drastic jumps
> between 1x and 2x, but next to nothing between 2x and 4x/8x. See:
> http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=554

> "JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
> > I have a PNY FX5700Ultra graphics card with the 61.76 driver and the
> > coolbits2 reg mod installed. I have noticed that with the 61.76 driver
> > and the 56.04 driver the AGP speed capability reported for this
> > card is 2X. I know that this card is capable of running up to 8X. I also
> > know that the 52.13 driver correctly reports the AGP capacbilty as 8x.
> > Anybody have any ideas about why the AGP capability is being reported
> > incorrectly by the newer drivers? The drivers all report the motherboard
> > AGP speed capablity incorrectly as 2X. I know that it is 4X. Any ideas
> > on this as well? I would like to get my system to run at 4X if at all
> > possible. It currently runs 2X. I realize this may not produce much of a
> > boost, but with my system I need every little bit I can get.
> >
> > Thanks Much for any assistance you can provide.
> > JS
> >
> > Video card: PNY FX5700Ultra, 128MByte, 8X
> > Current Video Driver: 61.76, Coolbits2 installed
> > M/B: HP (ASUS Pegasus) VIA Apollo Pro133A/T, VT82C59B SouthBridge
> > CPU: PentiumIII 733MHz
> > O/S: Win98SE, 768MBytes PC133 SDRAM

ME

edit: i looked on Via's website and to back up my statement here is what it
says
Product Overview
With its 133MHz Front Side Bus, the VIA Apollo Pro133 chipset optimizes the
performance of Intel? Pentium? III, Intel? CeleronT and VIA C3T processors
while its highly scaleable asynchronous bus design also makes it the ideal
solution to fully harness processor FSB speeds of 66/100/133MHz. Through its
advanced memory controller architecture, the VIA Apollo Pro133 chipset
supports up to 1.5GB of high-speed PC133 SDRAM and VC133 DRAM. These
advanced memory technologies provide the bandwidth and performance necessary
for even the most demanding Internet and 3D graphics applications at a
minimal cost premium over PC100 SDRAM. The AGP2X interface on the VIA Apollo
Pro133 chipset ensures vivid 3D graphics and video performance while the ATA
66 interface helps boost system performance by providing a high-speed
connection to powerful ATA 66 Hard Disk Drives, delivering maximum sustained
data transfer rates of 66MB/sec.

> VIA Apollo Pro133A/T, V

The VIA site says that the Pro133A runs 4X. Note the 'Pro133A' vice
'Pro133'. Thanks for help anyway. I have specifically checked the chip
markings to verify it is the chipset that runs 4X.

A link would've sufficed. As JS pointed out, the Apollo 133*A* was capable
of AGP4x, at least on paper. Back in those days VIA always need an "A"
revision of each chipset to get things right:

Apollo 133A (P3)
KT133A (AMD)
KT266A (AMD)

In fact, when boards with the KT333 chipset came out, many cynics were
holding back their dollars waiting for the KT333A, which never came into
existence.

"ME" <cliffro69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> edit: i looked on Via's website and to back up my statement here is what
it
> says
<snip>