Downgrading Win7 Pro to Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

beechtree

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
PC#1 already has Win7 Pro installed on it.
I'm building PC#2 and have bought Win7 Home Premium.

I want Pro on PC#2, and Home Prem on PC#1. Both OS's are retail box versions, not OEM.

I want to downgrade PC#1 from Win7 Pro to Win7 Home Premium without reinstalling. I figure I can change the key on PC#1 to the Home Prem key, so I can use the Pro key on PC#2.

Is this as stupid as I think it is? (I won't be offended if you say yes)

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I dont think that your plan will work and I have never heard of donwgrading from Pro to Home Premium and doubt such a downgrade path officially exists. I doubt that you can change the keys in the manner you are describing either. I am afraid the only real answer is to reinstall PC 1 and install Pro fresh on PC 2.

verbalizer

Distinguished
When and Why Would Customers Use Downgrade Rights for Windows 7?
Example:

* Your customer's organization needs a new system running on the same platform as its existing systems—Windows Vista Business.

Downgrade rights offer a practical solution. The customer can:

* Purchase a PC with Windows 7 Professional preinstalled.
* Downgrade—at no additional cost—to Windows Vista.
* Another compelling reason to encourage customers to move to Windows 7 is the ability to downgrade to Windows XP.
* Move to Windows 7 Professional at the appropriate time. The system is licensed and ready for conversion.

Downgrade rights for:

* Windows 7
* Windows Vista
* Windows Servers

Downgrade Rights for Windows 7 Desktop Software

Downgrade rights for Windows 7 are an end-user right, documented in the Software License Terms that customers accept upon first running Windows software.

Note that Windows 7 end user downgrade rights will be available through the sales lifecycle of Windows 7 which is up to two years after the launch date of a new version.

Get more information about Windows lifecycle and Windows product availability policies.
Customers must:

* Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows 7.
* Accept the Windows 7 Software License Terms.
* Perform the downgrade or authorize a third party to install on their behalf.

* See additional details and FAQ.

The Downgrade Process

Follow these steps to downgrade to a previous version of Windows:

1. Obtain genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the eligible version of Windows for downgrade (see next section for eligible Windows versions).
* The media should come from a prior legally licensed version from the OEM or Retail channels.
* Additionally an end user, who is licensed separately through Microsoft Volume Licensing (VL) programs, may provide their VL media and key to their system builder to use to facilitate the downgrade on only their systems.
2. Insert eligible downgrade version of Windows media in the CD drive and follow the installation instructions.
3. Type the product key.
* If the software was previously activated, you will not be able to activate it online. In this case, the appropriate local Activation Support phone number will be displayed. Call the number and explain the circumstances.When it is determined that the end user has an eligible Windows license, the customer service representative will provide a single-use activation code to activate the software. Please note that Microsoft does not provide a full product key in this scenario.
4. Activate the software.
5. See also the Downgrade Rights Guide for Windows 7. .pdf 1.4 MB

OEM Versions of Windows 7 Eligible for Downgrade

Only certain OEM versions of Windows 7 include downgrade rights:

* Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate.
* Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition.
* Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for instance, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.

Windows 7 downgrade path

verbalizer

Distinguished
Upgrade is only possible one-way from the lower edition to higher edition of Windows 7, and not the other way round. If user attempts to perform an in-place upgrade to downgrade to lesser edition of Windows 7, an error similar to below will be displayed at compatibility report:

Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

aquasystems

Honorable
May 6, 2012
here is a “simple” hack which allows you to embed the downgrade procedure in Windows 7.

Click Start.
In the Search Box, type regedit and press Enter.
Navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion

In the right pane, click EditionID and ProductName and give them the value which corresponds to a lower Windows 7 edition. Here is an example:

Windows 7 Home Premium (downgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Home Premium)
EditionID: HomePremium
ProductName: Windows 7 HomePremium
Start your Windows 7 installation by inserting your Windows 7 Disc.
Now, Select Upgrade as type of installation. Follow the instruction on the screen.
Reactivate your operating system.

Willie Williams

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Thank you so much! This worked like a charm!! You saved me a whole day of work here. There was an article about this on another site but HomeEdition had a space in between so it didn't work for me. After seeing your post I remove the space and it worked! Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.