VisionTek Ge4 Ti4200 128 Windows 2000 Pro

Have an issue really need help on. Been all over net, trying drivers,
setting changes
no luck
To get specs out of the way:
PC: Tyan Trinity 400 BIOS Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG Rev. 2.33,
07/31/00
VIA Chipset
Aureal Vortex SQ2500 Audio Card and as updated drivers as I can find.
733 Mhz PIII running dual boot Win 98SE and Win2K Pro.
Subject Card Driver: currently installed: 6.1.7.7
BIOS 4.25.00.28.00
Recently upgraded to Win2K, running dual boot. Win98 has no video
issues.
In 2K all video, in WMP9.0, DVD software, everything, Video will start
correctly and play, however, if resizing the window, or moving cursor
over any controls will
immediately kill audio then video will drop in frame rate and come
erratic or stop all
together. Closing the programs does nothing to restore audio. This is
all audio including .wav clips for all system events. Audio only returns
after reboot. To save from all going into all details, believe me, I
have been all up and down the with drivers, registry settings,
acceleration, etc. No IRQ conflicts are showing up anywhere. I'm pretty
sure this has got to be a video driver issue, dropping to Standard VGA
will stop the actual problem, even though video is not full resolution.

Anybody run into this siuation?

Thanks

For that older video card you should be using something like the 45.23
driver, which will be stable with it. The newest FX-series drivers were not
designed for that older card and may be causing your problems.

--
DaveW

"Brad Kelley" <bh.kelley@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> Recently upgraded to Win2K, running dual boot. Win98 has no video
> issues.
> In 2K all video, in WMP9.0, DVD software, everything, Video will start
> correctly and play, however, if resizing the window, or moving cursor
> over any controls will
> immediately kill audio then video will drop in frame rate and come
> erratic or stop all
> together. Closing the programs does nothing to restore audio. This is
> all audio including .wav clips for all system events. Audio only returns
> after reboot. To save from all going into all details, believe me, I
> have been all up and down the with drivers, registry settings,
> acceleration, etc. No IRQ conflicts are showing up anywhere. I'm pretty
> sure this has got to be a video driver issue, dropping to Standard VGA
> will stop the actual problem, even though video is not full resolution.

What happens when using say 45.23 drivers?

Same result with all drivers.
Started out in the 40 series, worked up to 61.
Using 45 on windows 98 boot, had no reason to change it, works fine.

Biz wrote:

> "Brad Kelley" <bh.kelley@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Have an issue really need help on. Been all over net, trying drivers,
> > setting changes
> > no luck
> > To get specs out of the way:
> > PC: Tyan Trinity 400 BIOS Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG Rev. 2.33,
> > 07/31/00
> > VIA Chipset
> > Aureal Vortex SQ2500 Audio Card and as updated drivers as I can find.
> > 733 Mhz PIII running dual boot Win 98SE and Win2K Pro.
> > Subject Card Driver: currently installed: 6.1.7.7
> > BIOS 4.25.00.28.00
> > Recently upgraded to Win2K, running dual boot. Win98 has no video
> > issues.
> > In 2K all video, in WMP9.0, DVD software, everything, Video will start
> > correctly and play, however, if resizing the window, or moving cursor
> > over any controls will
> > immediately kill audio then video will drop in frame rate and come
> > erratic or stop all
> > together. Closing the programs does nothing to restore audio. This is
> > all audio including .wav clips for all system events. Audio only returns
> > after reboot. To save from all going into all details, believe me, I
> > have been all up and down the with drivers, registry settings,
> > acceleration, etc. No IRQ conflicts are showing up anywhere. I'm pretty
> > sure this has got to be a video driver issue, dropping to Standard VGA
> > will stop the actual problem, even though video is not full resolution.
> >
> > Anybody run into this siuation?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> What happens when using say 45.23 drivers?

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

many claim the newest drivers are not or the G4 series. Not so. I have
run D1DDR and both G4ti4200 and ti4800 on win2kpro. I have an old
Athlon 800 Via KX133 chipset, det 53.03. From way back in the day of
the early Geforces, these are the things you need to check (this goes
back 4+yrs) for win2k and VIA:

1. Are you using the 2k/xp driver? The win98 driver will load but not
run right
2. Are you using sp2 or higher? 2k had AGP problems with Geforce cards
3. driver instalation: VIA 4in1 (hyperion) -> dx -> geforce
4. turn off fast writes in BIOS - not all driver sets work with it
5. check that 4xAGP is enabled. 2k used to default to 2x on install
6. as for WMP, check how PowerDVD, BSPlay, WinDVD etc. behave. In some
driver versions you have to turn off hardware accelleration. On my PwoerDVD
7. as for Aureal - don't use 98 drivers; delete drivers and pull out
card. If video playback works fine...on older hw it's hard to find
drivers that play well together with newer hardware. hacked/unofficial
drivers abound but could cause stability problems. have you checked out
http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/ for Aureal drivers? lots of info as well
as info on problems with Aureal drivers and via/win2k.

Enjoy.

Brad Kelley wrote:
> Same result with all drivers.
> Started out in the 40 series, worked up to 61.
> Using 45 on windows 98 boot, had no reason to change it, works fine.
>
> Biz wrote:
>

>>"Brad Kelley" <bh.kelley@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Have an issue really need help on. Been all over net, trying drivers,
>>>setting changes
>>>no luck
>>>To get specs out of the way:
>>>PC: Tyan Trinity 400 BIOS Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG Rev. 2.33,
>>>07/31/00
>>>VIA Chipset
>>>Aureal Vortex SQ2500 Audio Card and as updated drivers as I can find.
>>>733 Mhz PIII running dual boot Win 98SE and Win2K Pro.
>>>Subject Card Driver: currently installed: 6.1.7.7
>>>BIOS 4.25.00.28.00
>>>Recently upgraded to Win2K, running dual boot. Win98 has no video
>>>issues.
>>>In 2K all video, in WMP9.0, DVD software, everything, Video will start
>>>correctly and play, however, if resizing the window, or moving cursor
>>>over any controls will
>>>immediately kill audio then video will drop in frame rate and come
>>>erratic or stop all
>>>together. Closing the programs does nothing to restore audio. This is
>>>all audio including .wav clips for all system events. Audio only returns
>>>after reboot. To save from all going into all details, believe me, I
>>>have been all up and down the with drivers, registry settings,
>>>acceleration, etc. No IRQ conflicts are showing up anywhere. I'm pretty
>>>sure this has got to be a video driver issue, dropping to Standard VGA
>>>will stop the actual problem, even though video is not full resolution.
>>>
>>>Anybody run into this siuation?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>What happens when using say 45.23 drivers?

Thanks for info.

1. Using 2K drivers. Actually, been through about any driver I can find.
2. Sitting at SP4. Didn't really want to install it to that, but with the
problems
that's where I'm at.
3. Went with the Hyp. 4 in 1. Am I understanding by your notes to install in
that
order?
4. I'll check fast writes. Do not believe the BIOS I have allows for that
option.
5. Good point on 4x enabled. It's enabled in BIOS, however, I'm seeing only 2x
reported in properties. Best way to correct this?
6. As in my first, this is all video. WMP, along with Nero, and Win DVD (tried
both)
Any resize, or a trip of a "what's this" balloon is like a landmine. Audio
is gone
and video creeps to a standstill. I've played with all acceleration
settings, no joy.
I'll give the website a look over for Aureal. CD I have is 98, but on the 2K
install
it was installing what it had. That is what is really bugging me. Aureal has
left town
like a gypsy driveway contractor and I haven't been able to find much on it.

Again, Thanks for the info and some more to think about.