Does anyone know what this component does?

Greetings all

Today when I removed my ASUS V9280 Geforce 4 Ti to adjust the memiry
coolers a component from the card just fell away. The part in question
has a duplicate shown by 1 and the one that fell away is supposed to
be at 2.

Photo at: http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~freho906/bilder/PICT0739.JPG

Curious as I am I took the card, after failing to solder the part back
on, and stuck it into a less delicate(read expensive) computer than it
came from. Guess what! The card still worked as far as I could tell,
Windows XP booted ok without any odd messages, I did however not do
any stress tests like gaming and so on.

Very strange.
What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
memory bank.

Anyone have any idea?

Regards
Fredrik

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Very strange.
> What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
> judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
> memory bank.
>
> Anyone have any idea?

It's a capacitor....it filters, stores and regulates power going to the
various components. That particular one conditions the power to the 2 memory
modules it sits between. It's not unheard of for a card to function with one
missing...there was one guy in the Q/A section of Maximum PC with the same
situation and he said the card functioned normally...best thing to do is to
try and solder it back on. Best of luck

hoffa.is@home.se (Fredrik Hofgren) wrote in message news:<51a909df.0407310917.47aa90b7@posting.google.com>...
> Greetings all
>
> Today when I removed my ASUS V9280 Geforce 4 Ti to adjust the memiry
> coolers a component from the card just fell away. The part in question
> has a duplicate shown by 1 and the one that fell away is supposed to
> be at 2.
>
> Photo at: http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~freho906/bilder/PICT0739.JPG
>
> Curious as I am I took the card, after failing to solder the part back
> on, and stuck it into a less delicate(read expensive) computer than it
> came from. Guess what! The card still worked as far as I could tell,
> Windows XP booted ok without any odd messages, I did however not do
> any stress tests like gaming and so on.
>
> Very strange.
> What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
> judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
> memory bank.
>
> Anyone have any idea?
>

> Regards
> Fredrik

Thanks for the input guys.
After closer inspection and some slodering attempts it was apparent
that a small portion of the PCB had fallen away with the
component/capacitor making any amateur soldering impossible. I don´t
dare use it in my computer so I guess it´ll end up in the trash or in
the pile for "things that can be used as beer coasters" :)
Some notes finally. The card has been used with a water cooler block
for about half a year now, and the memory chips were fitted with heat
sinks to make up for the lost air circulation, maybe the altered heat
flow doomed the PCB.

Regards again.

"Fredrik Hofgren" <hoffa.is@home.se> wrote in message
> Greetings all
>
> Today when I removed my ASUS V9280 Geforce 4 Ti to adjust the memiry
> coolers a component from the card just fell away. The part in question
> has a duplicate shown by 1 and the one that fell away is supposed to
> be at 2.
>
> Photo at: http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~freho906/bilder/PICT0739.JPG
>
> Curious as I am I took the card, after failing to solder the part back
> on, and stuck it into a less delicate(read expensive) computer than it
> came from. Guess what! The card still worked as far as I could tell,
> Windows XP booted ok without any odd messages, I did however not do
> any stress tests like gaming and so on.
>
> Very strange.
> What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
> judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
> memory bank.

Crash course -
Check the diagram on the PCB.
The color should be facing the diagram with corner. The other side of the
diagram have broken corner / tab. The capacitor should be facing the two
corner.

There should not be any performance differences with or without that
capacitor. More likely you might get quality problem issue.

CapFusion,...

JS

> Some notes finally. The card has been used with a water cooler block
> for about half a year now, and the memory chips were fitted with heat
> sinks to make up for the lost air circulation, maybe the altered heat
> flow doomed the PCB.
>

> Regards again.

It was a bad solder joint from the it left the factory. Adding more cooling
had nothing to do with it. Adding more cooling probably helped it live
longer than it would have without the extra cooling.