mermaid not working on fx series ?

Hi,

I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III 450
mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)

Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1 fps
per second. LOL.

But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install dx8.1
? huh ? )

Anyway the demo requires 550 MB of memory.

I can only hear the music play, see the menu, see the nvidia logo... but the
rest is black... even if I click draw points or wireframe zippo =D Too
funny. LOL I could have coded a demo with points or wireframe =D

In short:

Does this mean the mermaid demo doesn't run on any fx series ????????????

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:21:10 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III 450
>mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)
>
>Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1 fps
>per second. LOL.
>
>But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install dx8.1
>? huh ? )
>
>Anyway the demo requires 550 MB of memory.
>
>I can only hear the music play, see the menu, see the nvidia logo... but the
>rest is black... even if I click draw points or wireframe zippo =D Too
>funny. LOL I could have coded a demo with points or wireframe =D
>
>In short:
>
>Does this mean the mermaid demo doesn't run on any fx series ????????????

I've been trying to run the Squid demo on my GF4 Ti, which
it's made for, and can't get it to run.

Shame, shame.

I remember getting 3-5 fps in Quake II OpenGL, through a OGL-D3D wrapper so
I could run it on a ATi 3D Rage II. :)

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III
450
> mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)
>
> Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1
fps
> per second. LOL.
>
> But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install
dx8.1
> ? huh ? )
>
> Anyway the demo requires 550 MB of memory.
>
> I can only hear the music play, see the menu, see the nvidia logo... but
the
> rest is black... even if I click draw points or wireframe zippo =D Too
> funny. LOL I could have coded a demo with points or wireframe =D
>
> In short:
>
> Does this mean the mermaid demo doesn't run on any fx series ????????????

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III
450
> mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)
>
> Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1
fps
> per second. LOL.
>
> But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install
dx8.1
> ? huh ? )
>
> Anyway the demo requires 550 MB of memory.

and a 6800.

[...]

> In short:
>
> Does this mean the mermaid demo doesn't run on any fx series ????????????

That's exactly what it means, and it hurts... it hurts that I can't run it
on my 5900 Ultra. Oh well. At least the "Blobby Dancer" works.

Tony.

"The Black Wibble" <scanner@free.net.nz> wrote in message
> "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III
> 450
> > mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)
> >
> > Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1
> fps
> > per second. LOL.
> >
> > But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install
> dx8.1
> > ? huh ? )
> >
> > Anyway the demo requires 550 MB of memory.
>
> and a 6800.
>
> [...]
>
> > In short:
> >
> > Does this mean the mermaid demo doesn't run on any fx series
????????????

> That's exactly what it means, and it hurts... it hurts that I can't run
it
> on my 5900 Ultra. Oh well. At least the "Blobby Dancer" works.

Pretty ridicolous that it shows absolutely nothing on their not so long ago
flagship ?!?!?

Thank God Doom 3 should work nicely on FX series =D

Thumbs down for Nvidia :( :p =D

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just tried to run the new mermaid demo 130 MB download on Pentium III
450
> mhz and GeForce FX5200. :)
>
> Ok it's not the fastest system... but I did expect to see something at 1
fps
> per second. LOL.
>
> But nope... ZIPPO... except the menu. ( The demo also tried to install
dx8.1
> ? huh ? )

The demo is to show off the features of the 6800 cards. Your FX5200 doesn't
have those features. It's exactly like the previous series demos - the FX
demos don't run on the GF4 cards. What's your point? That your card isn't
able to run 6800 specific code? Welcome to the real world.

Dan