Improvement?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:23:22 -0700, "John Smith"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
>improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
>Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

A Geforce 3 would be an improvement! Need I say more?

John Smith wrote:

> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

2 words:

Um.

Yes.

John Smith wrote:
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
> buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

It will make a HUGE difference.

--
Just for kicks let's look at the word funeral for a moment. Starts with
the word FUN doesn't it.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Improve your experience is something of an understatement. The 9800 Pro has
10 times the bandwidth.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Are you kidding? I upgraded from _GF3 Ti200_ to _9600pro_
and still noticed _massive_ improvement in every game, so your
improvement should be _gigantic_ :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in

> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
> buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

It will be a different world in terms of GFX my friend.

John Smith wrote:
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Sure, its A LOT faster. But, if your planning to play CS only
get a cheap gf 4 ti4200 and pay no more then 50 bucks. For the newer
games (Far Cry,Doom3...) the 9800 sure is the best on the market now though.

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

John Smith wrote:
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
> buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Sure the card is ALOT faster. Just be sure yr powersupply is powerful
enough... (300 if it's a decent brand, 350 if it's not)

Thomas

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Any ATi or Nvidia based card, with a chipset
released within the last year or so, priced
over $100 at a competitive online store,
will provide a huge boost over that card.
Even some of the ones below $100 are
going to be far better.

If you want to stay below the $250 mark,
you might also consider waiting for the LE
version of the Nvidia 6800 series. The 6800s
look very good right now, though the current
models are $300-600. The sweet one is
the GT model, at about $400, if you can find it available.
The LE ones should be about half that, and are due
within the next few months.

My preferred Nvidia vendors: Leadtek, Gainward,
eVGA, in that order. Preferred online shop: Newegg,
Newegg, Newegg, in that order! <g>

RayO

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi There..
Hope your having a laugh there,i just upgraded from a geforce3ti200 on my
xp2500 barton system to a radeon 9600xt and there was a huge
difference,infact it is the biggest upgrade in performance i have ever done.
3dmark2001 results on g3ti200 was 5050.
Put in radeon,and low and behold score was 12300..and frame rates up
massively on all games.
I never realized how old the geforce really was..
Cheers
Gaz
"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

spencer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Orlando" opened his mouth and bleated:-
"For the newer games (Far Cry,Doom3...) the 9800 sure is the best on the
market now though."

What even better than the x800 pro - x800 xt or dare I say it a NVIDIA
6800GT?

Where have you been man?

"Gary Austin" <g.austin7@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi There..
> Hope your having a laugh there,i just upgraded from a geforce3ti200 on my
> xp2500 barton system to a radeon 9600xt and there was a huge
> difference,infact it is the biggest upgrade in performance i have ever
done.
> 3dmark2001 results on g3ti200 was 5050.
> Put in radeon,and low and behold score was 12300..and frame rates up
> massively on all games.
> I never realized how old the geforce really was..
> Cheers
> Gaz
> "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> > improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
> buying
> > Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Boy you guys are really smart. thanks for all the info. when cs:source comes
out i'll get the 9800pro. how much do you think it will be at that time?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

What framerates are you getting right now? If it's 50-60 fps, even a
"massive improvement" won't be perceptible.

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
> improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying
> Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

I upgraded from a GeForce 3 to an ATI 9800 Pro 128meg version, but I also
had to upgrade my motherboard. My old motherboard only supported 4x AGP
video cards. The new ATI 9800 Pro would have worked in my old mb, but only
at 4x AGP speed instead of faster 8x AGP. You didn't mention what kind of
cpu/mb combo you're running with your GeForce 2.

Also, recommend that you look at the benchmarks online at websites like

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=1955