Procedure for downloading latest nVidia drivers.....

I apologise in advance for asking such a naff question, but I just want to
get it right.......

I have purchased a PNY FX 5950 Ulra 256, and want to keep my drivers up to
date.
After I've been directed to the nVidia download page, and saved the
appropriate driver, what is the cleanest way to download the driver,
ensuring that all remnants of previous drivers are dealt with?
I run the utility "Registry Mechanic", will this sort any "leftovers" ?

Thanks in anticipation

John
5 answers Last reply
More about procedure downloading latest nvidia drivers

    Jonh Hellingsworth wrote:

    > I apologise in advance for asking such a naff question, but I just want to
    > get it right.......
    >
    > I have purchased a PNY FX 5950 Ulra 256, and want to keep my drivers up to
    > date.
    > After I've been directed to the nVidia download page, and saved the
    > appropriate driver, what is the cleanest way to download the driver,
    > ensuring that all remnants of previous drivers are dealt with?
    > I run the utility "Registry Mechanic", will this sort any "leftovers" ?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation
    >
    > John

    The last time we had to worry about driver leftovers was from the
    official 44.xx to 52.16. That did have a few problems, but not anymore.
    As long as you run the setup, all the proper files will get replaced.
    61.72 installed perfectly clean for me.

    Previously you might have had problems getting the right versions of the
    control panel and nview dll's when driver mixing, but I haven't had that
    in a long time.

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 07:52:36 +0000, Jonh Hellingsworth wrote:

    > I have purchased a PNY FX 5950 Ulra 256, and want to keep my drivers up to
    > date.
    > what is the cleanest way to download the driver,

    The the installer does it all for you. You don't even have to downloazd
    the latest as it will download it if it exists.
    ie. Drop to virtual console and type "init 3".
    As root type "nvidia-installer --update"
    It will then check for updates and install the new driver while removing
    the old one. Let it re-compile a new kernel module if it requests it.

    Type "init 5" and you can log in with the new drivers working happily :)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

    Oops. Sorry. I just realised this group is not an OS specific group. (ie.
    not a Linux group). ;) If I remember in Windows, you go to add/remove
    programs and uninstall the old driver there. Once done, reboot, and
    install the new drivers. Reboot again and the new drivers should be
    installed and working :)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

    Is it still best to manually install via "update drivers," or is it better
    to use the installer now? In the past, the installer has given me problems
    that were solved by installing manually.

    Larry

    Larry L. wrote:

    > Is it still best to manually install via "update drivers," or is it better
    > to use the installer now? In the past, the installer has given me problems
    > that were solved by installing manually.
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jonh Hellingsworth wrote:
    >>

    >>>I apologise in advance for asking such a naff question, but I just want

    >>>get it right.......
    >>>
    >>>I have purchased a PNY FX 5950 Ulra 256, and want to keep my drivers up

    >>>date.
    >>>After I've been directed to the nVidia download page, and saved the
    >>>appropriate driver, what is the cleanest way to download the driver,
    >>>ensuring that all remnants of previous drivers are dealt with?
    >>>I run the utility "Registry Mechanic", will this sort any "leftovers" ?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in anticipation
    >>>
    >>>John
    >>>

    >>The last time we had to worry about driver leftovers was from the
    >>official 44.xx to 52.16. That did have a few problems, but not anymore.
    >> As long as you run the setup, all the proper files will get replaced.
    >> 61.72 installed perfectly clean for me.
    >>
    >>Previously you might have had problems getting the right versions of the
    >>control panel and nview dll's when driver mixing, but I haven't had that
    >>in a long time.

    It's pretty good now, I haven't had problems lately with any leftovers
    or errors.

Nvidia Download Drivers Graphics