Help choosing a second video card for multiple monitors

greyhound4334

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.

The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.

A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
slot or an AGP slot.

Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?

Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
I can read up on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
jb

Yr card is rather old, eg agp4, you might be better of with a single new
card that supports multiple monitors
Personnally I prefer the dual monitor support in Nvidea rather than Radeon,
then of course there are many that say that Matrox are v.good for 2d work

"greyhound4334" <greyhound4334@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
> system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
> XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.
>
> The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
> card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.
>
> A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
> pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
> slot or an AGP slot.
>
> Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?
>
> Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
> I can read up on how to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> jb

The Diamond Stealth S60 will be either a PCI version or an AGP version. It
won't work in both.

"greyhound4334" <greyhound4334@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
> system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
> XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.
>
> The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
> card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.
>
> A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
> pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
> slot or an AGP slot.
>
> Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?
>
> Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
> I can read up on how to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> jb

greyhound4334

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

ahhh... I see. The package is confusing. They apparently use the same
box for both versions, since the specs printed on it say "either PCI...
or AGP... (check version)". I guess "check version" meant check the
sticker on the box, which says AGP.

So... the question stands... can I add a second AGP card? Or must the
second be PCI?

I'm interested in something CHEAP, so not interested in buying a dual
ramdac card.

thanks,
jb

greyhound4334 wrote:

> ahhh... I see. The package is confusing. They apparently use the same
> box for both versions, since the specs printed on it say "either PCI...
> or AGP... (check version)". I guess "check version" meant check the
> sticker on the box, which says AGP.
>
> So... the question stands... can I add a second AGP card? Or must the
> second be PCI?

Well, nearly all motherboards have only one AGP slot so you will need a
PCI card.

André

A PC will only have one AGP slot. If you need a second graphics card in
there, you'll need a PCI based one.