Help choosing a second video card for multiple monitors

I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.

The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.

A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
slot or an AGP slot.

Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?

Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
I can read up on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
jb
5 answers Last reply
More about help choosing video card multiple monitors

    Yr card is rather old, eg agp4, you might be better of with a single new
    card that supports multiple monitors
    Personnally I prefer the dual monitor support in Nvidea rather than Radeon,
    then of course there are many that say that Matrox are v.good for 2d work

    "greyhound4334" <greyhound4334@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
    > system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
    > XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.
    >
    > The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
    > card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.
    >
    > A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
    > pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
    > slot or an AGP slot.
    >
    > Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?
    >
    > Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
    > I can read up on how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > jb

    The Diamond Stealth S60 will be either a PCI version or an AGP version. It
    won't work in both.

    "greyhound4334" <greyhound4334@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
    > system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
    > XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.
    >
    > The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
    > card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.
    >
    > A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
    > pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
    > slot or an AGP slot.
    >
    > Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?
    >
    > Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
    > I can read up on how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > jb

    ahhh... I see. The package is confusing. They apparently use the same
    box for both versions, since the specs printed on it say "either PCI...
    or AGP... (check version)". I guess "check version" meant check the
    sticker on the box, which says AGP.

    So... the question stands... can I add a second AGP card? Or must the
    second be PCI?

    I'm interested in something CHEAP, so not interested in buying a dual
    ramdac card.

    thanks,
    jb

    greyhound4334 wrote:

    > ahhh... I see. The package is confusing. They apparently use the same
    > box for both versions, since the specs printed on it say "either PCI...
    > or AGP... (check version)". I guess "check version" meant check the
    > sticker on the box, which says AGP.
    >
    > So... the question stands... can I add a second AGP card? Or must the
    > second be PCI?

    Well, nearly all motherboards have only one AGP slot so you will need a
    PCI card.

    André

    A PC will only have one AGP slot. If you need a second graphics card in
    there, you'll need a PCI based one.

    On the topic of dual ramdac cards, y
    > ahhh... I see. The package is confusing. They apparently use the same
    > box for both versions, since the specs printed on it say "either PCI...
    > or AGP... (check version)". I guess "check version" meant check the
    > sticker on the box, which says AGP.
    >
    > So... the question stands... can I add a second AGP card? Or must the
    > second be PCI?
    >
    > I'm interested in something CHEAP, so not interested in buying a dual
    > ramdac card.
    >
    > thanks,
    > jb
    >
    > Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
    >
    > > The Diamond Stealth S60 will be either a PCI version or an AGP version.
    It
    > > won't work in both.
    > >

    > > "greyhound4334" <greyhound4334@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'm looking to add a second monitor to my dual-boot Linux/Windows XP
    > >>system. I mainly want the multiple monitors for dreamweaver work under
    > >>XP, but it would be cool if it worked in under Linux as well.
    > >>
    > >>The primary card is a GeForce 256. Far as I can tell, this is an AGP
    > >>card and according to the MS site, supports multiple monitors.
    > >>
    > >>A friend has an extra Diamond Stealth S60 based on a Radeon 7000. I'm
    > >>pretty sure this is an AGP card, but it says it requires EITHER a PCI
    > >>slot or an AGP slot.
    > >>
    > >>Will this seccond card work alongside my GeForce under XP?
    > >>
    > >>Anybody know if it'll work under Linux, and if so, any pointers to docs
    > >>I can read up on how to do this?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance!
    > >>jb

Nvidia Monitors Windows XP Graphics