Error F4D41436 with TNT2 Pro

hi all
I have a 2 gig system running Win98SE with an nVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro 32 Mb
video card with the latest driver (file version 4.14.10.6176). I have just
installed a Liteon SOHO 812S dvd burner and when I go to watch a DVD via
PowerDVD Ver 5 I get the following:

"Error Code:

TheTV Out port of your display card is not working properly.

This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out function is
enabled."

I cant find a solution to this problem. I dont seem to be able to turn off
the TV out in the card settings or physically via any jumpers (there are
none on the board)

Any ideas anyone?
11 answers Last reply
More about error f4d41436 tnt2

    Hi,

    Trufflepig wrote:

    > I have a 2 gig system running Win98SE with an nVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro 32 Mb
    > video card with the latest driver (file version 4.14.10.6176). I have just
    > installed a Liteon SOHO 812S dvd burner and when I go to watch a DVD via
    > PowerDVD Ver 5 I get the following:
    >
    > "Error Code:
    >
    > TheTV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
    >
    > This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out function is
    > enabled."

    Commercial DVD player software requires that Macrovision can be
    activated on the TV out. Could you have a look which TV encoder chip is
    on you card? For examples see http://tvtool.info/english/tvchips_e.htm

    > I cant find a solution to this problem. I dont seem to be able to turn off
    > the TV out in the card settings or physically via any jumpers (there are
    > none on the board)

    The TV out can usually be turned off in the driver settings.

    André

    The DVD yer playing back is macrovision copy protected. Macrovision encoding
    allows suitable TV out hardware to encode the picture so that it cannot be
    recorded by a VCR or watched on a TV thorugh a VCR. The TNT2's TV out
    doesn't support this form of copy protection, so PowerDVD won't playback
    macrovision encoded DVDs through da TNT2's TV out.

    So you could get it to work, if you disable the TV-Out. Or you could upgrade
    to a graphics card which is slightly newer than the TNT2. I think the GF2MXs
    supported Macrovision. This should be quite cheap now with a TV out and
    should perform better than yer TNT2.

    Make sure yer mobo supports 1.5V AGP signalling.

    "André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Trufflepig wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 2 gig system running Win98SE with an nVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro 32 Mb
    > > video card with the latest driver (file version 4.14.10.6176). I have
    just
    > > installed a Liteon SOHO 812S dvd burner and when I go to watch a DVD via
    > > PowerDVD Ver 5 I get the following:
    > >
    > > "Error Code:
    > >
    > > TheTV Out port of your display card is not working properly.
    > >
    > > This copy protected disc can not be played when the TV out function is
    > > enabled."
    >
    > Commercial DVD player software requires that Macrovision can be
    > activated on the TV out. Could you have a look which TV encoder chip is
    > on you card? For examples see http://tvtool.info/english/tvchips_e.htm
    >
    > > I cant find a solution to this problem. I dont seem to be able to turn
    off
    > > the TV out in the card settings or physically via any jumpers (there are
    > > none on the board)
    >
    > The TV out can usually be turned off in the driver settings.
    >
    > André

    Thanks Andre

    My TV chipset is a Chrontel CH7003B-T. After a bit more reading I am getting
    the picture that some chipsets are on the banned list as far as dvd playback
    goes. If it so happens that mine is on the list then "eh - what can you
    do??" But if I am missing a setting somewhere or a workaround than please
    let me know.
    Cheers

    > upgrade to a graphics card which is slightly newer than the TNT2. I
    > think the GF2MXs supported Macrovision. This should be quite cheap now

    I doubt it. I think a lot of the GF3 cards didn't even support
    macrovision.

    Trufflepig wrote:

    > My TV chipset is a Chrontel CH7003B-T. After a bit more reading I am getting
    > the picture that some chipsets are on the banned list as far as dvd playback
    > goes.

    Correct. The CH7003B doesn't support Macrovision so certified DVD player
    software will complain when you have the TV output enabled.

    > If it so happens that mine is on the list then "eh - what can you
    > do??" But if I am missing a setting somewhere or a workaround than please
    > let me know.

    If I understand you correctly the problem occurs when you try to put DVD
    output on the TV. Please correct me if you also have the problem when TV
    output is disabled.
    In this case you have different options:

    - Use TVTool from http://www.tvtool.info/index_e.htm (Not free - early
    versions used to be free. Maybe there are other programs which can do
    the same thing.) AFAIR it had the possibility to enable tv output
    without programs noticing.
    - Rip the DVD to hard disk or to a DVD-/+R. The Macrovision protection
    should be disabled on that copy.
    - Use Linux and xine or mplayer for playing dvd video - they shouldn't
    care for Macrovision.
    - Finally, of course: Get another video card.

    André

    Sharanga Dayananda wrote:

    > The DVD yer playing back is macrovision copy protected. Macrovision
    > encoding allows suitable TV out hardware to encode the picture so
    > that it cannot be recorded by a VCR or watched on a TV thorugh a VCR.

    ACK

    > The TNT2's TV out doesn't support this form of copy protection, so
    > PowerDVD won't playback macrovision encoded DVDs through da TNT2's TV
    > out.

    Correction: The TV out of this particular TNT2.

    > So you could get it to work, if you disable the TV-Out. Or you could
    > upgrade to a graphics card which is slightly newer than the TNT2. I
    > think the GF2MXs supported Macrovision.

    The ability to support Macrovision doesn't depend on the GPU but on the
    TV encoder chip. This particular card has a Chrontel CH7003B chip which
    doesn't support Macrovision. The TNT2 card I had has a
    Brooktree/Conexant BT869 which does support Macrovision (the BT868 didn't).

    > This should be quite cheap now with a TV out and should perform
    > better than yer TNT2.

    Correct, but I'm not sure 'Trufflepig' is interested in gaming
    performance (weird system anyway - 2GB RAM and Win98SE).

    > Make sure yer mobo supports 1.5V AGP signalling.

    ACK.

    > Trufflepig wrote:
    >
    > > My TV chipset is a Chrontel CH7003B-T. After a bit more reading I am
    getting
    > > the picture that some chipsets are on the banned list as far as dvd
    playback
    > > goes.
    >
    > Correct. The CH7003B doesn't support Macrovision so certified DVD player
    > software will complain when you have the TV output enabled.
    >
    > > If it so happens that mine is on the list then "eh - what can you
    > > do??" But if I am missing a setting somewhere or a workaround than
    please
    > > let me know.
    >
    > If I understand you correctly the problem occurs when you try to put DVD
    > output on the TV. Please correct me if you also have the problem when TV
    > output is disabled.
    > In this case you have different options:
    >
    > - Use TVTool from http://www.tvtool.info/index_e.htm (Not free - early
    > versions used to be free. Maybe there are other programs which can do
    > the same thing.) AFAIR it had the possibility to enable tv output
    > without programs noticing.
    > - Rip the DVD to hard disk or to a DVD-/+R. The Macrovision protection
    > should be disabled on that copy.
    > - Use Linux and xine or mplayer for playing dvd video - they shouldn't
    > care for Macrovision.
    > - Finally, of course: Get another video card.
    >
    > André

    Thanks again

    I guess I am considering the video card option ie get a new one - any
    suggestions at the budget end? GF2MXas recommended above?

    Trufflepig

    > Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
    >
    > > The DVD yer playing back is macrovision copy protected. Macrovision
    > > encoding allows suitable TV out hardware to encode the picture so
    > > that it cannot be recorded by a VCR or watched on a TV thorugh a VCR.
    > >
    > ACK
    >
    > > The TNT2's TV out doesn't support this form of copy protection, so
    > > PowerDVD won't playback macrovision encoded DVDs through da TNT2's TV
    > > out.
    >
    > Correction: The TV out of this particular TNT2.
    >
    > > So you could get it to work, if you disable the TV-Out. Or you could
    > > upgrade to a graphics card which is slightly newer than the TNT2. I
    > > think the GF2MXs supported Macrovision.
    >
    > The ability to support Macrovision doesn't depend on the GPU but on the
    > TV encoder chip. This particular card has a Chrontel CH7003B chip which
    > doesn't support Macrovision. The TNT2 card I had has a
    > Brooktree/Conexant BT869 which does support Macrovision (the BT868
    didn't).

    > > This should be quite cheap now with a TV out and should perform
    > > better than yer TNT2.
    >
    > Correct, but I'm not sure '' is interested in gaming
    > performance (weird system anyway - 2GB RAM and Win98SE).
    >
    > > Make sure yer mobo supports 1.5V AGP signalling.
    >
    > ACK.

    Clarification - 2 Gig processor, 256 Mb RAM
    Correct - not interested in gaming performance

    Cheers
    Trufflepig

    Trufflepig wrote:

    > Clarification - 2 Gig processor, 256 Mb RAM

    Sounds better.
    '2 Gig' is a bit confusing, maybe you should stick to GHz and GB, that's
    not even longer but more precise.

    André

    > Clarification - 2 Gig processor, 256 Mb RAM
    > Correct - not interested in gaming performance
    >
    > Cheers
    > Trufflepig

    Since gaming is not important to you, then just install any drivers 40.72
    version or earlier. In fact, why in the heck have you been upgrading
    drivers on that POS(nowadays) card? The drivers prior to 40.72 did not meet
    macrovision standards, so they dont check to see if the tv-out chip is
    compatible or not like the later drivers do. Its a free fix.

    Yup - that fixed it. The 40.72 driver lets me play dvd's - hooray :-)

    I spose I took the path of "latest Driver" since most problems are met with
    "are you using the latest driver..."etc etc. I now know better.

    Thanks for the suggestion Biz, and for the help everyone.

    Truff

    "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message

    > "Trufflepig" <sirmark@chopthisbitoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Clarification - 2 Gig processor, 256 Mb RAM
    > > Correct - not interested in gaming performance
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Trufflepig
    > >

    > Since gaming is not important to you, then just install any drivers 40.72
    > version or earlier. In fact, why in the heck have you been upgrading
    > drivers on that POS(nowadays) card? The drivers prior to 40.72 did not
    meet
    > macrovision standards, so they dont check to see if the tv-out chip is
    > compatible or not like the later drivers do. Its a free fix.

Nvidia Graphics