A Miracle from Ed

Sir Ed,

It's good to see you are still participating in the newsgroups. I have a big
problem that may take a (EJN) miracle to fix.

The problem: "Somehow" the system registry was corrupted. From this point,
this system would not start windows. Somebody deleted AOL search finds in
the registry indiscriminately.

The System: Gateway G6, P2 400mhz, 128mb ram, Adaptec 2940uw scsi card,
c:Quantum scsi 9 gb HD, a:floppy, b:LS120 , d:Toshiba IDE SD-M1102 DVD/CDR,
e:Yamaha 6416s scsi CDrw - was running under W98FE (orig install).

When booting from a w98fe created boot disk, a ramdrive is created under D:
and the contents of EBD.cab extract to it. At the dos prompt, E: is a
recognized drive letter but when a CD is put in, the "abort, fail, retry"
message appears (tried both CD drives). F: is unrecognized in Dos. The CD

Suspecting that the ramdrive was conflicting with the (Adaptec) drive letter
assignments, I tried to create a simplified boot disk that doesn't create
the ramdrive, but it won't boot the system, even to dos. The mcedex
function doesn't seem to work properly.?

Is there a simple fix? Since the C: drive seems intact, is there a way to
use the Extract command in Dos to rewrite crucial system files from the
C:/cab files? Or, is it possible to execute a setup of w98fe from the
command prompt and the existing C: windows files.

Another angle: A friend provided me a spare IDE HD with w98SE preinstalled.
According to Adaptec documentation, the scsi card is suppose to default to
an IDE HD as the boot drive. The system will not boot with the spare IDE
hard drive either (even with the scsi HD de-energized). The spare HD is not
recognized (tried it on same channel as DVD.in place of LS120). One IDE port
is not in use.

Please help if you can. There is data (~600 mb) on the scsi HD I would like
to recover if possible.

Thanks,

Lostdriver
5 answers Last reply
More about miracle

    meant to say mscdex not mcedex...oops
    "Lostdriver" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

    > Sir Ed,
    >
    > It's good to see you are still participating in the newsgroups. I have a
    big
    > problem that may take a (EJN) miracle to fix.
    >

    > The problem: "Somehow" the system registry was corrupted. From this point,
    > this system would not start windows. Somebody deleted AOL search finds in
    > the registry indiscriminately.
    >

    > The System: Gateway G6, P2 400mhz, 128mb ram, Adaptec 2940uw scsi card,
    > c:Quantum scsi 9 gb HD, a:floppy, b:LS120 , d:Toshiba IDE SD-M1102
    DVD/CDR,
    > e:Yamaha 6416s scsi CDrw - was running under W98FE (orig install).
    >

    > When booting from a w98fe created boot disk, a ramdrive is created under
    D:
    > and the contents of EBD.cab extract to it. At the dos prompt, E: is a
    > recognized drive letter but when a CD is put in, the "abort, fail, retry"
    > message appears (tried both CD drives). F: is unrecognized in Dos. The CD
    >

    > Suspecting that the ramdrive was conflicting with the (Adaptec) drive
    letter
    > assignments, I tried to create a simplified boot disk that doesn't create
    > the ramdrive, but it won't boot the system, even to dos. The mcedex
    > function doesn't seem to work properly.?
    >

    > Is there a simple fix? Since the C: drive seems intact, is there a way to
    > use the Extract command in Dos to rewrite crucial system files from the
    > C:/cab files? Or, is it possible to execute a setup of w98fe from the
    > command prompt and the existing C: windows files.
    >

    > Another angle: A friend provided me a spare IDE HD with w98SE
    preinstalled.
    > According to Adaptec documentation, the scsi card is suppose to default to
    > an IDE HD as the boot drive. The system will not boot with the spare IDE
    > hard drive either (even with the scsi HD de-energized). The spare HD is
    not
    > recognized (tried it on same channel as DVD.in place of LS120). One IDE
    port
    > is not in use.
    >

    > Please help if you can. There is data (~600 mb) on the scsi HD I would
    like
    > to recover if possible.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lostdriver

    You might want to try one of the boot disks from www.bootdisk.com.

    From what it sounds, you probably have a dead CD-ROM drive rather than
    a driver issue.

    Lostdriver wrote:
    > Sir Ed,
    >
    > It's good to see you are still participating in the newsgroups. I have a big
    > problem that may take a (EJN) miracle to fix.
    >

    > The problem: "Somehow" the system registry was corrupted. From this point,
    > this system would not start windows. Somebody deleted AOL search finds in
    > the registry indiscriminately.
    >

    > The System: Gateway G6, P2 400mhz, 128mb ram, Adaptec 2940uw scsi card,
    > c:Quantum scsi 9 gb HD, a:floppy, b:LS120 , d:Toshiba IDE SD-M1102 DVD/CDR,
    > e:Yamaha 6416s scsi CDrw - was running under W98FE (orig install).
    >

    > When booting from a w98fe created boot disk, a ramdrive is created under D:
    > and the contents of EBD.cab extract to it. At the dos prompt, E: is a
    > recognized drive letter but when a CD is put in, the "abort, fail, retry"
    > message appears (tried both CD drives). F: is unrecognized in Dos. The CD
    >

    > Suspecting that the ramdrive was conflicting with the (Adaptec) drive letter
    > assignments, I tried to create a simplified boot disk that doesn't create
    > the ramdrive, but it won't boot the system, even to dos. The mcedex
    > function doesn't seem to work properly.?
    >

    > Is there a simple fix? Since the C: drive seems intact, is there a way to
    > use the Extract command in Dos to rewrite crucial system files from the
    > C:/cab files? Or, is it possible to execute a setup of w98fe from the
    > command prompt and the existing C: windows files.
    >

    > Another angle: A friend provided me a spare IDE HD with w98SE preinstalled.
    > According to Adaptec documentation, the scsi card is suppose to default to
    > an IDE HD as the boot drive. The system will not boot with the spare IDE
    > hard drive either (even with the scsi HD de-energized). The spare HD is not
    > recognized (tried it on same channel as DVD.in place of LS120). One IDE port
    > is not in use.
    >

    > Please help if you can. There is data (~600 mb) on the scsi HD I would like
    > to recover if possible.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lostdriver

    Responding to the original problem - the corrupted registry - did you try a
    scanreg /restore? that's the tool in win98 you would use to revert a good
    working registry (assuming scanreg had not been disabled and your system was
    keeping backups of the registry). By default Windows keeps 5 days worth of
    registry backups on the system, then overwrites the oldest with each new
    backup. Windows creates a new backup every day the system is restarted. If
    you don't restart your system every day it's likely the backup dates will
    have some gaps between them.

    It's also important that when you run the scanreg /restore that you DO NOT
    choose the oldest backup available. It's a known issue in win 98 which I
    don't believe was fixed in the second Edition (but was in win ME). If you
    choose the oldest backup, it will delete that backup BEFORE it converts it
    to the current registry, and then generates an error similar to : REGISTRY
    BACKUP FAILED. There is a workaround for this issue if there is a reason
    that you absolutely must use the oldest backup.
    But given that it seems that one event triggered the corruption, and after
    that the system would not boot, it's likely that you should have several
    good backups available and would not need to use the oldest.

    Anyway this not solve your problems being able to work out the cdrom issues
    at booting to a startup disk, but it would get you into Windows where you
    could safely preserve your files.

    > It's good to see you are still participating in the newsgroups. I have a
    big
    > problem that may take a (EJN) miracle to fix.
    >

    > The problem: "Somehow" the system registry was corrupted. From this point,
    > this system would not start windows. Somebody deleted AOL search finds in
    > the registry indiscriminately.
    >

    > The System: Gateway G6, P2 400mhz, 128mb ram, Adaptec 2940uw scsi card,
    > c:Quantum scsi 9 gb HD, a:floppy, b:LS120 , d:Toshiba IDE SD-M1102
    DVD/CDR,
    > e:Yamaha 6416s scsi CDrw - was running under W98FE (orig install).
    >

    > When booting from a w98fe created boot disk, a ramdrive is created under
    D:
    > and the contents of EBD.cab extract to it. At the dos prompt, E: is a
    > recognized drive letter but when a CD is put in, the "abort, fail, retry"
    > message appears (tried both CD drives). F: is unrecognized in Dos. The CD
    >

    > Suspecting that the ramdrive was conflicting with the (Adaptec) drive
    letter
    > assignments, I tried to create a simplified boot disk that doesn't create
    > the ramdrive, but it won't boot the system, even to dos. The mcedex
    > function doesn't seem to work properly.?
    >

    > Is there a simple fix? Since the C: drive seems intact, is there a way to
    > use the Extract command in Dos to rewrite crucial system files from the
    > C:/cab files? Or, is it possible to execute a setup of w98fe from the
    > command prompt and the existing C: windows files.
    >

    > Another angle: A friend provided me a spare IDE HD with w98SE
    preinstalled.
    > According to Adaptec documentation, the scsi card is suppose to default to
    > an IDE HD as the boot drive. The system will not boot with the spare IDE
    > hard drive either (even with the scsi HD de-energized). The spare HD is
    not
    > recognized (tried it on same channel as DVD.in place of LS120). One IDE
    port
    > is not in use.
    >

    > Please help if you can. There is data (~600 mb) on the scsi HD I would
    like
    > to recover if possible.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lostdriver

    I tried one of the bootdisks, but it must have been the wrong one. Now I can
    get the dvd but the Adaptec Bios doesn't start and the hard drive never
    boots. The cmos bios shows under hard drive: 'secondary controller card'. So
    it knows the Adaptec2940uw card is there. Windows tries to start under cdrom
    support, then says, 'there is no hard drive to install to', or something
    like that. I will try a few more things this weekend - luckily I have been
    using my work lap as a backup.

    Thank you for your help Ed

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > You might want to try one of the boot disks from www.bootdisk.com.
    >
    > From what it sounds, you probably have a dead CD-ROM drive rather than
    > a driver issue.
    >

    > Lostdriver wrote:
    > > Sir Ed,
    > >
    > > It's good to see you are still participating in the newsgroups. I have a
    big
    > > problem that may take a (EJN) miracle to fix.
    > >

    > > The problem: "Somehow" the system registry was corrupted. From this
    point,
    > > this system would not start windows. Somebody deleted AOL search finds
    in
    > > the registry indiscriminately.
    > >

    > > The System: Gateway G6, P2 400mhz, 128mb ram, Adaptec 2940uw scsi card,
    > > c:Quantum scsi 9 gb HD, a:floppy, b:LS120 , d:Toshiba IDE SD-M1102
    DVD/CDR,
    > > e:Yamaha 6416s scsi CDrw - was running under W98FE (orig install).
    > >

    > > When booting from a w98fe created boot disk, a ramdrive is created under
    D:
    > > and the contents of EBD.cab extract to it. At the dos prompt, E: is a
    > > recognized drive letter but when a CD is put in, the "abort, fail,
    retry"
    > > message appears (tried both CD drives). F: is unrecognized in Dos. The
    CD

    > > Suspecting that the ramdrive was conflicting with the (Adaptec) drive
    letter
    > > assignments, I tried to create a simplified boot disk that doesn't
    create
    > > the ramdrive, but it won't boot the system, even to dos. The mcedex
    > > function doesn't seem to work properly.?
    > >

    > > Is there a simple fix? Since the C: drive seems intact, is there a way
    > > use the Extract command in Dos to rewrite crucial system files from the
    > > C:/cab files? Or, is it possible to execute a setup of w98fe from the
    > > command prompt and the existing C: windows files.
    > >

    > > Another angle: A friend provided me a spare IDE HD with w98SE
    preinstalled.
    > > According to Adaptec documentation, the scsi card is suppose to default
    > > an IDE HD as the boot drive. The system will not boot with the spare IDE
    > > hard drive either (even with the scsi HD de-energized). The spare HD is
    not
    > > recognized (tried it on same channel as DVD.in place of LS120). One IDE
    port
    > > is not in use.
    > >

    > > Please help if you can. There is data (~600 mb) on the scsi HD I would
    like
    > > to recover if possible.
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lostdriver

    Thank you for your reply jeeves. If I get the hard drive back, I will try
    your suggestions
    Lostdriver

Gateway SCSI Computers