Longest Graphics Card Warranty!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2004 3:14:52 PM

Hello fellow enthusiasts;

I just had a Leadtek 5600 ultra die on me, this card was going to be
used in Doom 3, so now I am stuck with an ATI Radeon 9200.

I was wondering which manufacture has the best warranty for graphics
cards? Most of what I have seen are only one year warrantys, my card
was 1 1/2 years old. I would like a two or three year warranty if any
are that long. I probably will not overclock the card, just want
something that has staying power for longer than a year.

Gnu_Raiz
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2004 10:32:14 PM

Hello fellow enthusiasts;

I just had a Leadtek 5600 ultra die on me, this card was going to be
used in Doom 3, so now I am stuck with an ATI Radeon 9200.

I was wondering which manufacture has the best warranty for graphics
cards? Most of what I have seen are only one year warrantys, my card
was 1 1/2 years old. I would like a two or three year warranty if any
are that long. I probably will not overclock the card, just want
something that has staying power for longer than a year.

Gnu_Raiz

---------

Gainward cards have a 2 year warrantyand are kickass cards.
August 2, 2004 11:31:01 PM

Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.

Cobbler

"Gnu_Raiz" <rthoreau@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Hello fellow enthusiasts;
>
> I just had a Leadtek 5600 ultra die on me, this card was going to be
> used in Doom 3, so now I am stuck with an ATI Radeon 9200.
>
> I was wondering which manufacture has the best warranty for graphics
> cards? Most of what I have seen are only one year warrantys, my card
> was 1 1/2 years old. I would like a two or three year warranty if any
> are that long. I probably will not overclock the card, just want
> something that has staying power for longer than a year.
>
> Gnu_Raiz
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2004 11:31:02 PM

"Cobbler" <cobbler@cobblers.com> wrote in message
> Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.
>
> Cobbler

Be careful when a company says that their card has a lifetime warranty. I
remember one person wrote into Maximum PC magazine once (Watchdog section)
with a dead GeForce4 Ti4600 card which also supposedly had a "lifetime
warranty". Upon further inspection of the warranty details, the company
meant the lifetime of the product cycle, as in they will repair/replace the
card as long as it remains part of the current product line-up and is
readily available. I'm not saying this is the case with BFG, but be sure to
read the "fine print", as it were.

I do believe many if not all of the Asus video cards come with a 3 year
warranty.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2004 11:31:02 PM

"Cobbler" <cobbler@cobblers.com> wrote in message news:<VDwPc.483$gQ3.12@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>...
> Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.
>
> Cobbler

<snip>

Thats good to know, but the only problem is, I have not heard about
BFG Tech, will they be here in say 4 years. I did check their site
out and they seem to be very serious about their warranty, but if they
are not arround in the future what good is their warranty?

Gnu_Raiz
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 12:56:25 AM

BFG actually makes such a distinction and says its cards are guaranteed
forever, not just over its product cycle:

http://www.bfgtech.com/we_are_different.html

What usually ends up happening is the company closing its doors before your
card dies. 3dfx is one such case. I am not sure if the new Visiontek still
honors the lifetime warranty that accompanied its GF3 and GF4 cards before
the company went into receivership.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote in message
> Be careful when a company says that their card has a lifetime warranty. I
> remember one person wrote into Maximum PC magazine once (Watchdog section)
> with a dead GeForce4 Ti4600 card which also supposedly had a "lifetime
> warranty". Upon further inspection of the warranty details, the company
> meant the lifetime of the product cycle, as in they will repair/replace
the
> card as long as it remains part of the current product line-up and is
> readily available. I'm not saying this is the case with BFG, but be sure
> read the "fine print", as it were.
>
> I do believe many if not all of the Asus video cards come with a 3 year
> warranty.

August 3, 2004 2:39:07 AM

>"Cobbler" <cobbler@cobblers.com> wrote in message news:<VDwPc.483
> Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.
>
> Cobbler

Hi,

Quite a few graphic cards that "guaranteed for life" but could someone
please explain what is "guaranteed for life" consider as:

1) "Life" here is as long as I live, I don't need to buy another video
to replace this "life time guarantted" one (if it break).

2) "Life" is the life of the company - as long as the company is in
business.

3) "Life" is the life circle of the current model of the video (2-3
years most).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 5:04:35 AM

> "Cobbler" <cobbler@cobblers.com> wrote in message
>> Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.
>>
>> Cobbler
>>
> <snip>
>
> Thats good to know, but the only problem is, I have not heard about
> BFG Tech, will they be here in say 4 years. I did check their site
> out and they seem to be very serious about their warranty, but if they
> are not arround in the future what good is their warranty?

http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html#lifetime

This link explains what they call lifetime warranty - however, the
conditions applied leave the enough opportunities to refuse a warranty
claim.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 6:07:41 AM

NightSky 421 wrote:

> Upon further inspection of the warranty details, the company
> meant the lifetime of the product cycle, as in they will repair/replace
> the card as long as it remains part of the current product line-up and is
> readily available.

PNY have such a warranty. Part of the reason I bought one of their cards
was because of the "lifetime" warranty, no distinction was made on
tigerdirect (where I bought it).

I bought the rest of the system at the same time, so of course I didn't
want to return it and have to wait for another card to arrive before I
could get any good use out of my system (let alone paying for return
shipping).

--
http://ciotog.net
Anonymous

> BFG actually makes such a distinction and says its cards are guaranteed
> forever, not just over its product cycle:
>
> http://www.bfgtech.com/we_are_different.html
>
> What usually ends up happening is the company closing its doors before
your
> card dies. 3dfx is one such case. I am not sure if the new Visiontek still
> honors the lifetime warranty that accompanied its GF3 and GF4 cards before
> the company went into receivership.

That link did not indicate how long the warranty apply to. It simply
discredit other manufacturer on the claim "LifeTime Warranty". Next it
indicated and ensure their tech is like customer [gamer] and have the same
passion. BUT I do not see anything regarding their true meaning of this term
"Lifetime warranty" really meant.
http://www.bfgtech.com/we_are_different.html

Still.... It might be best to read the fine print.

CapFusion,....
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 1:35:58 PM

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:D wBPc.29858$K53.23691@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html#lifetime
>
> This link explains what they call lifetime warranty - however, the
> conditions applied leave the enough opportunities to refuse a warranty
> claim.

Interesting warranty concept. I guess the original purchaser only valid for
warranty. But still, I do not think they can warranty that long as
'lifetime". Some chipset will be discontinue from the chipset manufacturer,
there no way they can get it to repair / replace that old card. I guess the
only way they can honor that claim if they replace with another different
card. But this mean, it is not warranty of the same original product so the
new replacement of that product will not reflect the lifetime warranty....?

CapFusion,...
August 4, 2004 3:10:36 AM

In all likeliness, you would probably replace the card with a newer one to
play the latest games before it dies anyway.
I have never had a graphics card die on me in all my gaming life. I even
remember adding extra memory to my old mach64 card and never had trouble
with it.
On another note, I read in pcformat i think that BGF Tech only use top
quality components on their boards which is why they are able to sell their
card overclocked out of the box.
I have overclocked mine even more to 6800 ultra levels and i have no trouble
at all.

Cobbler

"Phil" <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >"Cobbler" <cobbler@cobblers.com> wrote in message news:<VDwPc.483
> > Well my BFG 6800 GT OC is guaranteed for life.
> >
> > Cobbler
>

> Hi,
>
> Quite a few graphic cards that "guaranteed for life" but could someone
> please explain what is "guaranteed for life" consider as:
>
> 1) "Life" here is as long as I live, I don't need to buy another video
> to replace this "life time guarantted" one (if it break).
>
> 2) "Life" is the life of the company - as long as the company is in
> business.
>
> 3) "Life" is the life circle of the current model of the video (2-3
> years most).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2004 4:16:42 AM

BFG is founded by exiled Visiontek execs whose company went under due to
improper accounting practices...

This is why Visiontek now produces ATi cards, when it used to have a close
relationship with nVidia (made all of nVidia's reference boards).

"Gnu_Raiz" <rthoreau@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Thats good to know, but the only problem is, I have not heard about
> BFG Tech, will they be here in say 4 years. I did check their site
> out and they seem to be very serious about their warranty, but if they
> are not arround in the future what good is their warranty?
>
> Gnu_Raiz
August 4, 2004 9:10:19 AM

> In all likeliness, you would probably replace the card with a newer one to
> play the latest games before it dies anyway.
> I have never had a graphics card die on me in all my gaming life. I even
> remember adding extra memory to my old mach64 card and never had trouble
> with it.
> Cobbler

Sub-subject: Doom3 is 6800 Ultra Extreme killer!

Read the 4th paragraph here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=3

This is why you may need a good campany giving you good warranty ;)

GT
!